Sign in to follow this  
Clif4nyc

Snow!!!

Thought I was hallucinating while watching tonite's news!..how does London cope? I remember the last time NYC got hit by a ft. of snow, everything stopped!! wish I was there!

To answer your question in the title, I believe snow angels were a feature of the after-Bodeans events on Sunday night/Monday morning :-)

Yes of course we were Snow-Angelling! In the middle of the road. Around 1am sometime during the first or 2nd Qtr if I remember. Hope Jaco's got the pix.

As for London coping .. It hasn't. All the shop on Oxford street were shut by 5pm. The streets were like a Sunday morning during rush hour. All the busses were taken off the road. Every tube line was suspended along at least a part of its route. My office of about 500 people had about 30 manage to get in.

Personally, I'm still stuck here. Had to find a cheap little hotel last night (2 nights running in the backpackers is asking too much). All I want to do is go home and play with the kids, but my train service is still not operating.

Good news... Ade is finally on his way home. B)

This bloody white stuff may look pretty but for me snow angels and snowball fights aside its a total pain in the arse. :rolleyes:

This whole bloomin' country grinds to halt when we get snow like this- teh Europeans are laughing at us- to them it would be just a thick frost & everyone just gets on with it.

Laughable too that our council refused to grit several local roads because they were "too slippy".... :rolleyes:

Sooo of course the buses stopped running- & everyone was forced to use their cars....on the slippy roads that were "too slippy" for the council.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

& the Schoolteachers now have another excuse to boost their already massive holiday package.

--At this rate, they won't re-open the schools until July- bloody work-shy berks...

What really takes the P. is that the teachers then schedule an "inset day" for next week as well...!!- what a bunch of beardy, wooly-jumpered *******

(I've Mod'd my own language...!!) :D

College has been closed for 2 days :)

How the hell do the Americans cope with 40 inches in Wisconsin or so I heard in Week 15 I think.

I strongly disagree with all the people who moan that we can't cope with a bit of snow. Why should councils spend large parts of their budgets to gear themselves up for something that happens once every few years. I much prefer the money to go elsewhere and just deal with it when it happens. To be honest, despite my own trouble getting home, London and the rail networks actually coped pretty well considering what fell in just a few hours.

The estimated cost to UK PLC yesterday was £1.2bn. If correct then the cost could be £3bn this week. It might be cheaper to be prepared.

Especially now the planet is entering its Global Cooling phase!!

I strongly disagree with all the people who moan that we can't cope with a bit of snow. Why should councils spend large parts of their budgets to gear themselves up for something that happens once every few years. I much prefer the money to go elsewhere and just deal with it when it happens. To be honest, despite my own trouble getting home, London and the rail networks actually coped pretty well considering what fell in just a few hours.

Hear, hear. Why waste a massive investment in infrastructure for something which happens about twice a decade? And keeping the schools closed takes 1000s of cars off untreated roads at the busiest time of day - reducing the likelihood of accidents, preventing injuries, and insurance claims!

A lot of people I know have simply worked from home for the last two days; maybe leading to some interesting questions about what they gain from commuting into an office each day.

Hear, hear. Why waste a massive investment in infrastructure for something which happens about twice a decade? And keeping the schools closed takes 1000s of cars off untreated roads at the busiest time of day - reducing the likelihood of accidents, preventing injuries, and insurance claims!

A lot of people I know have simply worked from home for the last two days; maybe leading to some interesting questions about what they gain from commuting into an office each day.

Not everybody is in a position to work from home though......

Not everybody is in a position to work from home though......

Granted, but I did say "a lot of people"... Shedworkers of the world unite!

Unfortunately, fewer cars on the road means the snow takes longer to clear, exacerbating the situation

Totally agree.

Plus, it is quite understandbale as to why most of London shut down. When the Red Buses (London's primary mode of transport) are forced t stay in because they can't physically get out, it means a lot of people aren't getting around. The Tube service was closed largely to people not being able to make it into work as were most of the shops.

The car I was in ont he way back from the party I attended skidded around 3 or 4 times...not counting the time in which I slept and my Colleagues at work gave me similar stories...plus the pictures they took did look pretty bad (pictures being taken in North London). They shouldn't have driven to work.

AND...my dad was forced to do 20 mph on the motorway on sunday night...it took him nearly 8 hours to make a journey that shouldn't take more than 4. IMO...The snow WAS bad.

We don't get it this bad very often so I don't see the point in spending vast amounts of money on it.

Granted, but I did say "a lot of people"... Shedworkers of the world unite!

Ahhh true, I must admit though that walking round London yesterday with little traffic was quite surreal. Walking across westminster bridge reminded me of that film ( can't remember the name ) where that guy is walking through London & there's no traffic

Funniest incident was Danny falling running to throw a snowball & then slipping & going head first into the snow!!!! :D:D

Jaco & myself nearly passed out with laughter

A shame KPF wasn't there, we could all have joined in the laughter via the 27 photos he'd've taken of it happening ;)

A shame KPF wasn't there, we could all have joined in the laughter via the 27 photos he'd've taken of it happening ;)

3/1 snowball fight would have been unfair though...... :D

I'm sorry I just don't see the point in a £350 camera not getting its usage :P

Just found out I was in the snowiest place in the UK yesterday according to friends.

Coulsdon - 28cm.

And I completely agree with Secret Seagull, people moaning about an event that hasn't happened since I was 3 months old

I'm sorry I just don't see the point in a £350 camera not getting its usage :P

Good point, Shame you couldn't make it though you would have got some good pics of Danny falling over in the snow yesterday :D

Good point, Shame you couldn't make it though you would have got some good pics of Danny falling over in the snow yesterday :D

Now that would have been classic!

It was hilarious he was running to throw a snowball at some random stranger & went flying !!!! :D

Damn it...and I missed it :(

We better get a snow game for the roadtrip!!!!

Unfortunately, fewer cars on the road means the snow takes longer to clear, exacerbating the situation

There were plenty of trucks and cars on the nations' road last night/this morning. Trucks make god snow plows though :D

There were plenty of trucks and cars on the nations' road last night/this morning. Trucks make god snow plows though :D

Glad to hear you made it home Jaco

Those cheap flights sadly didn't turn out so cheap in the end :angry:

AND...my dad was forced to do 20 mph on the motorway on sunday night...it took him nearly 8 hours to make a journey that shouldn't take more than 4. IMO...The snow WAS bad.

Leeds - Manchester...30mph limit on the motorway.

Ahhh true, I must admit though that walking round London yesterday with little traffic was quite surreal. Walking across westminster bridge reminded me of that film ( can't remember the name ) where that guy is walking through London & there's no traffic

Funniest incident was Danny falling running to throw a snowball & then slipping & going head first into the snow!!!! :D:D

Jaco & myself nearly passed out with laughter

Sorry Danny, but it was funny. The first one was good but the second fall when we were just standing was priceless :lol:

3/1 snowball fight would have been unfair though...... :D

Yeah, Damien would've had no chance ;)

It was hilarious he was running to throw a snowball at some random stranger & went flying !!!! :D

And the traffic warden next to subway :D

Glad to hear you made it home Jaco

Those cheap flights sadly didn't turn out so cheap in the end :angry:

Cheers Swindon. It was certainly a bit more expensive but the couple of days made it well worth it ;)

And the traffic warden next to subway :D

Cheers Swindon. It was certainly a bit more expensive but the couple of days made it well worth it ;)

Yeah he was trying to be discrete about it, What about the couple on the bridge he was throwin them at ? :D

Yeah he was trying to be discrete about it, What about the couple on the bridge he was throwin them at ? :D

Or the car of Indians (i think) with the window down crossing the bridge :D

College has been closed for 2 days :)

How the hell do the Americans cope with 40 inches in Wisconsin or so I heard in Week 15 I think.

I'm from Boston and I've been in storms that were close to 3 feet deep (and more). The Blizzard of '78 dropped up to 60 inches at one time and crippled the entire eastern part of Massachusetts for almost a week. Most storms are not that bad here but the snow does accumulate. We had another 3-5 inches last night. So far we have had more snow thru today than the entire winter last year, although it has been in several storms to date.

We learn to cope with the snow because we are used to it and we have no alternative. Those elderly who can afford it, move to a warmer climate upon retirement. My parents have been living in Delray Beach, Florida for the past 15+ years. I anticipate moving to Florida in a few years - of course, returning on weekends for Patriots home games during the season :) .

I would suppose that the UK is not really prepared to cope wth a good snow storm, but it is really not as bad as most might think. Look at it this way - snow is only solid rain (and I know you can deal with rain). Now, does that make you feel any better. ;)

Jay, Jaco? I really dont know what your talking about, I dont recall falling over at any time in London...think your just making it up for fits and giggles obviously! :lol:

I anticipate moving to Florida in a few years

Don't tell Mrs L that, she was telling me the other day that there's only one reason why people move to Florida, weren't you Mandy? ;)

Jay, Jaco? I really dont know what your talking about, I dont recall falling over at any time in London...think your just making it up for fits and giggles obviously! :lol:

pinocchio :D

Looks like you must've taken a bang to the head during ONE OF THOSE FALLS :P

Looks like you must've taken a bang to the head during ONE OF THOSE FALLS :P

I think it would be the 2nd one as that was the louder THUD :P

Don't tell Mrs L that, she was telling me the other day that there's only one reason why people move to Florida, weren't you Mandy? ;)

Yeah...early bird dinners, wasnt it?

B)

Another "thick frost" &...

& a squillion people can't be arsed to make the effort to get to work again.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: honestly what a complete joke.. :mellow::mellow::mellow:

Down here the Council have run out of salt. Wet snow falling on frozen, untreated A-road made for an interesting school run.

Another "thick frost" &...

& a squillion people can't be arsed to make the effort to get to work again.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: honestly what a complete joke.. :mellow::mellow::mellow:

Daft comment P73! A foot or more of snow. There were no trains or busses. People couldn't physically get to work.

I'm fed up with all the people writing into papers comments like this, or "only in the south", or "not real news". This was the heaviest single snowfall in the nation's largest city for 20 years. It absolutley is news, and of it is going to cause severe disruption.

Many people that I know who did make it into work on Monday, then got marooned there. Is that so clever?

People who have no choice but to depend on public travel are in a pickle- but far too many people simply use this weather as an excuse to not to turn in to work.

I was taking calls from my staff at 7.15am this morning giving me their sob story of how bad it was. Yep- it's snowing-- big deal...if there's no bus wait a while indoors & get one later. I would rather have someone turn up late than not at all...A few inches of snow & everyone turns into pannicky babies.

I would love to be at home playing with the kids in the snow- but I drove approx 4 miles on very hilly ungritted roads- I live 500 yards from the highest point in Nottingham- so to say it's "not flat" would be an understatement. You take your time & you make the effort. Like I said before the Europeans will be laughing at us.

11am & the buses are running again-& still plenty of time left in the working day---but will those workshy berks turn off the TV & put down their coffee & return to work...??--of course not.

11am & the buses are running again-& still plenty of time left in the working day---but will those workshy berks turn off the TV & put down their coffee & return to work...??--of course not.

If I was a manager in your place, I'd be wondering what the heck is wrong with the corporate culture. I would hope that most people wouldn't have that sort of attitude as a recession bites and unemployment is rocketing. I'm not going to pretend that everything's right with the world where I work - our parent company has imposed a pay freeze and people are being laid of - but despite (or maybe because of) this, almost everyone has made the effort to get in if they couldn't work from home.

If I was a manager in your place, I'd be wondering what the heck is wrong with the corporate culture. I would hope that most people wouldn't have that sort of attitude as a recession bites and unemployment is rocketing. I'm not going to pretend that everything's right with the world where I work - our parent company has imposed a pay freeze and people are being laid of - but despite (or maybe because of) this, almost everyone has made the effort to get in if they couldn't work from home.

Similar thing here- Unfortunately due to the recession, we're shortly being put on a 4 day week & I think some of our people have decided to start now...!!! :lol:

I reckon we have just 25% of our office based staff in.

But really...what more motivation is needed to get into work than the current financial climate...???

People should be showing willing & making an effort.

People who have no choice but to depend on public travel are in a pickle- but far too many people simply use this weather as an excuse to not to turn in to work.

I was taking calls from my staff at 7.15am this morning giving me their sob story of how bad it was. Yep- it's snowing-- big deal...if there's no bus wait a while indoors & get one later. I would rather have someone turn up late than not at all...A few inches of snow & everyone turns into pannicky babies.

I would love to be at home playing with the kids in the snow- but I drove approx 4 miles on very hilly ungritted roads- I live 500 yards from the highest point in Nottingham- so to say it's "not flat" would be an understatement. You take your time & you make the effort. Like I said before the Europeans will be laughing at us.

Killjoy ... People should be at home playing with their kids on this once in a decade experience. For many people, it is the only chance they will have to do so whilst their children are still children. A day like that is far more important than another day in the office.

Killjoy ... People should be at home playing with their kids on this once in a decade experience. For many people, it is the only chance they will have to do so whilst their children are still children. A day like that is far more important than another day in the office.

I can empathise-My boy is five, he rang me up to say his school is closed & could I come home to build him another xmas-smiley-010.gif...broke my heart saying no. :(

But for some people they don't have an easy excuse out of working- I got the keys to the building- if I don't get to work, no-one works...

Yes I am jealous & bitter of not being at home...!!! :lol:

this once in a decade experience

I remember as a kid it seemed like each & every year you got at least one snow fall that went up n over the top of your wellies... :D:D:D - & the snow stuck around for days..... :D --Doesn't happen these days though. :(

It doesnt matter how old you are, as soon as we see snow on the ground outside, the 6year old inside of us comes out and its play time. :D

What i cant work out is peoples inability to drive in the stuff. If your willing to set off 30 mins earlier than you would normally to go somewhere and take your time you will be fine, but the people i have seen leave it until the last minute then wonder why they have skidded off the road going too fast.

I did take enjoyment yesterday walking up the hill from my apartment, watching a guy in a BMW M3, with his foot to the floor, just sliding down the hill. Had he just thought, and gone down the hill and got on the main road, which was clear of snow, he would have been fine, but he was insistant in his very fast sports car. Silly man, but made me smile! :)

Daft comment P73! A foot or more of snow. There were no trains or busses. People couldn't physically get to work.

I'm fed up with all the people writing into papers comments like this, or "only in the south", or "not real news". This was the heaviest single snowfall in the nation's largest city for 20 years. It absolutley is news, and of it is going to cause severe disruption.

Many people that I know who did make it into work on Monday, then got marooned there. Is that so clever?

And yet other UK cities cope with more snow. A few cms of snow and London grinds to a halt. Pathetic. As the Danish woman said on the BBC news - 'this isn't snow!'.

It'd be cheaper for us to prepare for this weather. The estimated cost is now at £5bn and it's claimed this week could be the final straw for 3,000 businesses. Then you've got the cost to the NHS and the delay in journey times for the emergency services.

Local Gov't has to prepare better. Running out of grit is ridiculous.

Local Gov't has to prepare better. Running out of grit is ridiculous.

Yay! Let's pay more Council Tax!