Sign in to follow this  
Clif4nyc

Snow!!!

I love snow!! So... i went the golf course near my house and played out in it :D:lol:

snow8w.jpg

Yeah currently we have 10 inches of snow in Barnsley and its snowing heavy again. I made a snow angel for a Wes Welker tribute but failed to snap a picture of it :(

With all the moaning and groaning about a few inches of snow in the UK .... and you Roadtrippers really want to attend a game at Gillette Stadium during a real snowstorm? :rolleyes:

None of you would survive! Would they Dan? :D

Ahem.. some of us wanting to make the RT next year are born with some Viking blood in us... so we are perfectly equipped to handle a light dusting.

Although some areas of Dumfries and Galloway have had night temps of -16 Celsius (about 2 Fahrenheit for the Colonials) which I will admit is a bit nippy.

Although some areas of Dumfries and Galloway have had night temps of -16 Celsius (about 2 Fahrenheit for the Colonials) which I will admit is a bit nippy.

What, his hands? That explains why they were like stone... :lol:

Right, the Granddaughter has just arrived because her school is shut, so it's off to the local hills for a bit of sledging, snowball fighting and snow angel making. :)

There was supposed to be a football game being played in Manchester tomorrow night, between the 2 manchester clubs, City & United, but it has already been postponed

(probably on dubious health & safety grounds because the pavements outside the ground (sidewalk to you) might be a bit slippery.

Actually the stadium and surrounding areas are all quite clear - the game was postponed in the interests of those travelling to and from the game, as well as the staff and police working at the game. Given the state of the roads surrounding Manchester right now, I am going to say it was the right decision.

It's certainly a different situation in New England because these sorts of conditions are usual and expected at this time of year, so the infrastructure to cope is much stronger.

With all the moaning and groaning about a few inches of snow in the UK .... and you Roadtrippers really want to attend a game at Gillette Stadium during a real snowstorm? :rolleyes:

None of you would survive! Would they Dan? :D

Snow is nothing. We've done games in blizzard conditions with snow so heavy that the fans had to clean off their sections when they came in because the stadium crew couldn't keep up. It's the cold that's the real killer. This Sunday its supposed to be around 20 degrees F, dropping to the single digits by nightfall.

What's worse, though, is cold rain. I can handle snow, I can handle cold, and I can handle heat but cold rain is the bain of my existance. That gets into your bones. So bring on the 20 degrees, just don't let it rain.

Snow is nothing. We've done games in blizzard conditions with snow so heavy that the fans had to clean off their sections when they came in because the stadium crew couldn't keep up. It's the cold that's the real killer. This Sunday its supposed to be around 20 degrees F, dropping to the single digits by nightfall.

What's worse, though, is cold rain. I can handle snow, I can handle cold, and I can handle heat but cold rain is the bain of my existance. That gets into your bones. So bring on the 20 degrees, just don't let it rain.

Its currently -3C here if the thermometer is to be believed. Doesn't feel that cold

It's -17C in Moscow.

In the same way people in Chicago laugh at the way DC or Boston can't cope with snow -I bet folk in Siberia laugh at Moscow not being able to handle bad weather.

'Eh comrade, what iz wrong? It iz only -20 and you only have the 3 metres of snow!'

Probably close to around 14-15inches of snow here now

Here is my Welker Snow Angel attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vWwCv7NA1M

Good effort!

We just had a huge downfall which has put a couple more inches ont he couple we already had here and more heavy snow and a severe weather warning for tonight...and more expected at the weekend. Fun times.

Guest Scouse Patriot
"Just hold it and don't press any buttons"

Nice one mate, great video.

Haha well these little kids need instructing mate, plus I didn't want her wrecking my 15 minutes of fame!

Who said snow is just for kids, bet you don't get to do this on a Saga holiday :)

20100106snow6thjanuary2.th.jpg

Snow's so much more fun with a 5 year old Granddaughter, and this beats going to work anyday :D

Actually the stadium and surrounding areas are all quite clear - the game was postponed in the interests of those travelling to and from the game, as well as the staff and police working at the game. Given the state of the roads surrounding Manchester right now, I am going to say it was the right decision.

It's certainly a different situation in New England because these sorts of conditions are usual and expected at this time of year, so the infrastructure to cope is much stronger.

Yes its a long and treacherous trip from London for the United fans.

Ahem.. some of us wanting to make the RT next year are born with some Viking blood in us... so we are perfectly equipped to handle a light dusting.

I think the point Howard was making, is that they often see temperatures like that in Boston and the surrounding areas, and get more than "a light dusting", as im sure your aware!

For the week ahead, Boston has lows of -2, -7, -7, -9, -11, -10, -8....and im sure its pretty much like that for a few months!

I recall a stroy from Howard for the tuck game, that he had to dust an inch of snow off his head every 5 mins it was that bad at times! I wouldnt mind being there for a RT game with a little snow, but a full on blizzard might be hard to handle, so kudos to the seasoned veterans who have seen many a game like this!!

Yeah I don't think I would be able to handle a full on Boston Blizzard.

I'm getting a bit bored of this snow. Yet another day off because my foreman thought the weather was too bad...we're plumbers for christs sakes!!!

Apparently you Brits don't just play in the snow, you play because of the snow!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE60539...ews&rpc=401

:lol::P

Apparently you Brits don't just play in the snow, you play because of the snow!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE60539...ews&rpc=401

:lol::P

I wonder if that story is true or just a great publicity scam.

I did like seeing on the news yesterday that the highest located school in Yorkshire was actually open because the teachers thought they owed it to the kids and parents. Well done them. The kids must have been furious that their teachers aren't skiving off like so many others.

I wonder if that story is true or just a great publicity scam.

scam.

So people stuck coz they are snowed in & bored at home log on a site to meet peeps for "liaisons"....

Just how are they gonna "liaise" if they are stuck at home...??!! :lol:

I did like seeing on the news yesterday that the highest located school in Yorkshire was actually open because the teachers thought they owed it to the kids and parents. Well done them. The kids must have been furious that their teachers aren't skiving off like so many others.

Bit harsh... ;)

Play fair Sunbeam- the teachers only get 13 weeks holiday a year. :rolleyes::angry:

& don't get me started on the skive inset days.... :rolleyes:

The old saying is very true, those that can, do...those that can't, teach. <_<

The school i work in has been shut since Tuesday and will probably re-open on Monday... Im abit gutted as i was looking forward to mass snowball brawls against the kids :lol:

scam.

So people stuck coz they are snowed in & bored at home log on a site to meet peeps for "liaisons"....

Just how are they gonna "liaise" if they are stuck at home...??!! :lol:

Bit harsh... ;)

Play fair Sunbeam- the teachers only get 13 weeks holiday a year. :rolleyes::angry:

& don't get me started on the skive inset days.... :rolleyes:

The old saying is very true, those that can, do...those that can't, teach. <_<

Now now! Don't tar all teachers with the same brush ;) There are some who go above and beyond what they are supposed to do. Granted there are a few who take the mickey. Though I'm getting fed up of watching homework getting marked :P

-9 here and off to the pub in a bit, wish me luck people :lol:

-9 here and off to the pub in a bit, wish me luck people :lol:

Nice! It's only about -3 here I think and we're getting the odd snow flurry.

Global Warming my arse :lol:

Nice! It's only about -3 here I think and we're getting the odd snow flurry.

Global Warming my arse :lol:

This is a part of global warming mate!!

You will see more extremes in weather happening from now on, more of everything, larger floods, heavier rain and snow, and world wide generally, more major natural disasters!

Scared yet? :lol:

We're all going to die :/

It'll be like the Day After Tomorrow!

Except the acting will be better...lol

We're all going to die :/

It'll be like the Day After Tomorrow!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Managed to get into work today (Harwich) after a 1 hour journey, that normally takes 25 minutes, roads not gritted at all. My car registered -10.5C on the way in. Arrived to find 7 inches of snow in the car park and my car is now stuck in it. Worst journey so far, and I'm not looking forward to the journey home either..!..

The scenery looks nice though....

Managed to get into work today (Harwich) after a 1 hour journey, that normally takes 25 minutes, roads not gritted at all. My car registered -10.5C on the way in. Arrived to find 7 inches of snow in the car park and my car is now stuck in it. Worst journey so far, and I'm not looking forward to the journey home either..!..

The scenery looks nice though....

I hope you packed a flask and a blanket! :lol:

Guest Scouse Patriot

It snowed quite heavily around Jan and Feb last year and after all the snow this year should we be preparing for the same next year?

Making sure we all have enough grit and gas and whatever else we are all running out of this year.

I hope you packed a flask and a blanket! :lol:

:lol: Unfortunately not... I've got a Patriots beanie with me though..!

It snowed quite heavily around Jan and Feb last year and after all the snow this year should we be preparing for the same next year?

Making sure we all have enough grit and gas and whatever else we are all running out of this year.

Seems to be gettting whiter and colder every year mate! It wouldnt surprise me if it was the same this time we go to London!

:lol: Unfortunately not... I've got a Patriots beanie with me though..!

Haha, seriously though Id advise just to have a blanket in the boot (or the trunk) if your going on long trips...safety first like! :D

the Met Office has said the three months from December to February could well be warmer than average. Last winter saw a mean temperature of 3.2C across the UK, compared to an average of 3.7C for the season, but John Hammond, a forecaster at the Met Office, said that should be bettered this time round.

"Early indications are that it's looking like temperatures will be near or above average," Hammond said, before warning: "But there's still a one in seven chance of a cold winter – with temperatures below average."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2009/oct...winter-forecast

A mild winter is apparently judged as 4.3C. Right now 4.3F would be mild for some here!

For our American friends who prefer their temperatures in German I think the lowest we've hit is -10F.... so far!

This is a part of global warming mate!!

You will see more extremes in weather happening from now on, more of everything, larger floods, heavier rain and snow, and world wide generally, more major natural disasters!

Scared yet? :lol:

How typically British is that? "Global warming" makes our weather colder :lol:

i still have 2 cases Sam Adams, 1 case Bud, 1 case San miguel(gift!) and a large assortment of belgian beer all from the xmas stock-up!

so theres no panic buying here :D

Despite no forecast snow, we got a good dumping of about 3 inches in the city centre last night, which was very puzzling to see in a half drunken state stumbling from the couch to fetch another beer at 3am.

What a very odd winter this has been. Thermometer had the temperature at -11 the other night and thanks to single glazing, high ceilings and poor central heating one of our windows has frosted on the inside :rolleyes:

Despite no forecast snow, we got a good dumping of about 3 inches in the city centre last night, which was very puzzling to see in a half drunken state stumbling from the couch to fetch another beer at 3am.

What a very odd winter this has been. Thermometer had the temperature at -11 the other night and thanks to single glazing, high ceilings and poor central heating one of our windows has frosted on the inside :rolleyes:

#

I'm kinda hoping for the opposite here.

We have been predicted a full day of snow for tomorrow and the snow is starting to fall heavily again here now and expected to continue through most of the night as well.

I'm going to an isolated village called Sissinghurst tomorrow to muck about with the football team mates and watch the Sunday games round a mates there....I don't particularly want to get snowed in!

You guys think you've got it bad; it snowed in Orlando, FL last night!

There's a lot of snow in Madrid this evening. Real Madrid played in blizzard conditions tonight with the snow settling on the pitch.

They still played the game. It would've been called off in this country!

There's a lot of snow in Madrid this evening. Real Madrid played in blizzard conditions tonight with the snow settling on the pitch.

They still played the game. It would've been called off in this country!

My friend who lives in Madrid is currently posting on her FB that Madrid will be CHAOS tomorrow because (her words, not mine) because of the snow. No different from here then!

Well in this wee corner of south west Scotland...there is no snow left! It has all melted in the last 24 hours :)

Doesn't this sound the slightest bit stupid?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/...d-get-sued.html