Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ex-Patriot

Wembley Pitch, Or Field, If You Will, Has Issues...

If the wimps that are Premiership footballers are cutting the pitch up what will NFL linemen do to it over 60 mins? :huh:

According to H & J on talk sport this afternoon, it's not only the pitch that has issues.

It would appear that Andy Jacobs had trouble locating his seating area, trouble in terms of how long it took him to get to the loo and back at halftime.

Trouble getting out of the carpark (why he went by car when by his own addmission he only lives 15 minutes away, I don't know), trouble getting away from Wembley once he had got out of the carpark.

If the wimps that are Premiership footballers are cutting the pitch up what will NFL linemen do to it over 60 mins? :huh:

Apparently the NFL are going to be flying out some grounds men to work on the field the week leading up to the game and also grow the field in smaller sections to make it stronger.after having problems with the field the past 2 years.

I will try to find the artical and post it .

Guest rosler28

I don't remember the old Wembley pitch having any issues when the NFL came across in the 80s and 90s. But then it was sand based rather than the synthetic base they have on the modern football pitches.

This new wembley pitch is the worst of all worlds, it easily cuts up, can't take rugby or NFL and doesn't even allow for a good game of football. It must be the stadium, you'd have thought they'd have found a solution by now. The Millenium has had issues but the Emirates seems to produce a good football pitch.

IIRC the Emirates has light/heat cells underneath the pitch and also a ventilation system.

The roof is also designed to allow max light and wind to reach the pitch.

It's also a lot smaller than Wembley.

Hopefully annoy the hell out of the FA and general public...again! So England have an excuse when they lose there. :lol:

The Pitch will be a cabbage patch,come October i can assure you of that,even if it is dry it will break up very soon into the first Quater!

It wont last long with the heavy guys on it.

They want to fly some plastic turf in,it really is a crap pitch. :rolleyes:

My wife and I are going to the Pats-Bucs game in October. We've been looking for Wembly on maps of London but can't find it! Is Wembly in London or in a suburb?

My wife and I are going to the Pats-Bucs game in October. We've been looking for Wembly on maps of London but can't find it! Is Wembly in London or in a suburb?

It's in the London borough of Brent (North West-ish London)

Much Grass!

Why not a taxi? Are the rates that high? We plan on attending the game wearing our 18th century clothing. Can we do this without being harrassed in the tube?

Why not a taxi? Are the rates that high? We plan on attending the game wearing our 18th century clothing. Can we do this without being harrassed in the tube?

18th Century clothing?? :huh:

Sunny, Dan is a member of the End Zone Militia.

I had to Bing what the EZM were.

An intriguing idea to carry that out in this country. It's a bit like Man U fans dressing up as Nelson for a game at PSG. Or fans of the Vietnam badminton team doing it in NYC. :blink::D

18th century clothing; yeah, sure! I'm enough of a media whore to want to get my photo taken by the Brit media, or be interviewed by Brit TV. Though I probably won't bring my sword; that may be a bit much. :lol:

But seriously, why wouldn't it be a good idea to take a taxi to the game?

But seriously, why wouldn't it be a good idea to take a taxi to the game?

I'm not a Londoner but I'm guessing it is because of traffic congestion.

Dunno why you'd not get a taxi there. You'll have absolutely NO chance of getting out on the way out though. It was chaos at the Saints-Chargers game last year. They had mounted police keeping us in place. Seriously. Although perhaps a period outfit, enough beer to get you into character and British cavalry could end up with an amusing outcome.

Swords over 50cm without a curve? No problem! I've got a basket-hilt claymoore, two 14th century Spanish battle swords, and a 152 cm 2-handed claymoore that fit the bill. Would Wembly Stadium security have a problem with those? :lol:

Thanks for the advise about transportation to-and-from the stadium. I'll put some serious thought into it.

I had to Bing what the EZM were.

ooh, you cutting edge geek. That's the first time I've seen the use of the verb to Bing.

ooh, you cutting edge geek. That's the first time I've seen the use of the verb to Bing.

When I were a lad we used to Google - never had these flashy, modern Bing things... :rolleyes::lol:

Though I probably won't bring my sword; that may be a bit much. :lol:

Even if it is curved Dan you'd be OK if you had public liability insurance as you could claim to be engaged in historic re-enactment, which is specifically exempt from the legislation.

As someone who has walked around a lot of places in C17th clothing over the years I think you might be surprised how relaxed the British are about this sort of thing.

Even if it is curved Dan you'd be OK if you had public liability insurance as you could claim to be engaged in historic re-enactment, which is specifically exempt from the legislation.

As are martial artists, swords made before 1953 or swords made in a "traditional" manner. What kinds of ban on swords is that? I say we ban nutters.

Here's another question for you Londoners:

I heard that Nottinghill and the South Bank are nice sections to stay in, or can anyone recommend a given hotel or section of town that can accomodate a limited budget?

Give it 6 months and it'll be known as 'to Chandler'. ;)

RE: Taxis, depending on where you're staying it will be at least a 45 minute cab ride to the ground. They're ridiculously expensive so you'd be looking at spending ten times what it would cost to get there via the underground. If you do wish to go that route, book in advance with a service local to where you're staying.

As for advice on where to stay, to an extent it doesn't matter beyond your choice of quality of accomodation, because anywhere in Zone 1 means you can get everywhere else quickly. Your choice of transport should be the tube for pretty much everything you do, so getting a travelcard is a must. The Transport for London (TfL) Journey planner is very useful, although it's being a bit funky today - there's a strike!

FYI, the Wembley Stations are in grid B3 on that map.

Thanks to all for the advise and I hope to see you in Blighty at the game. And I don't care what the French say about Englishmen.

Thanks to all for the advise and I hope to see you in Blighty at the game. And I don't care what the French say about Englishmen.

You should what they say about Americans! :P

Or what we say about 'Septics'! ;)

Did you hear about the French WWI battleship that was sunk by a German U-boat that was recently discovered off the coast of Sardinia? It was in such remarkably good condition that you can still see the white flag flying from her stern. :lol:

Here's another question for you Londoners:

I heard that Nottinghill and the South Bank are nice sections to stay in, or can anyone recommend a given hotel or section of town that can accomodate a limited budget?

Premier Travel Inn at County Hall on the South Bank. Budget hotel, but decent enough rooms, in a fantastic location overlooking the Thames. http://www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelInforma...o?hotelId=23881

Oh Dan, this is quite nifty for foreigners. TfL offer Oyster cards to visitors. Oyster cards are used as a top-up auto-pay system for all London transports services, excluding mainland trains. The advantage with them is that you're not carrying cash to pay for travel, but not only that they're far less expensive than paying directly for travel on tubes or buses. I think the pricing means you save over 50% on journeys.