Sign in to follow this  
Ras

Libation Suggestions (what To Drink?)

Last time I had any kind of beer, it was a 24 pint night and that was over 30 years ago. I used to drink Harp or Killian's Red (Coors product), but I guess over the years, beer does nothing for me.

I know drink Jack Daniels (black label) and Gentleman Jack. With the possibility of numerous whiskeys on the shelves, what do you suggest. I've had Jameson's on a regular basis, but would like to try other brands not readily availble in the US.

If this helps, I always drink my whiskeys or bourbons on the rocks or straight up (not shots).

Don't know how easy it is to get in London, I imagine it'll be fairly ok, my favourite whisky (Scotch) is Laphroig, quite smoky and peaty, splendid on the rocks.

On the Bourbon/Whiskey front, my personal favourite is Bulleit, which is widely available up in Scotland certainly.

Don't know how easy it is to get in London, I imagine it'll be fairly ok, my favourite whisky (Scotch) is Laphroig, quite smoky and peaty, splendid on the rocks.

On the Bourbon/Whiskey front, my personal favourite is Bulleit, which is widely available up in Scotland certainly.

Would think you could be able to get Laphroig in London.

Personally I prefer Speyside malts myself, The Glenlivet, Balvenie, Cardhu, Macallan

To be honest, I like most whisky, Laphroig was just the first one that came to my head really, ones you mention like Balvenie are really nice, you've got the classic Glenmorangie and Highland Park.

Can't go wrong with a good whisky so long as you don't drown it IMO.

I love Laphroaig, especially the Quarter Cask - but I wouldn't recommend an Islay malt for a single malt virgin. I'd probably go for a Highland Park, a Balvenie - either the Port Wood or Double Wood - or a Springbank. Needless to say, straight, never with ice, a drop of water if you must.

Of choice, Blair Athol 12 year old single malt. To my palate, smooth and slightly sweet, but then, I'm a whiskey novice.

I love Laphroaig, especially the Quarter Cask - but I wouldn't recommend an Islay malt for a single malt virgin. I'd probably go for a Highland Park, a Balvenie - either the Port Wood or Double Wood - or a Springbank. Needless to say, straight, never with ice, a drop of water if you must.

Just a small amount of still spring water to open up the aromas, put too much in though and you kill the flavour completely, as demonstrated during a distillery tour a couple of years ago.

I dont think you can go too far wrong with a Glen Ord (have they stopped producing the decanter style bottle?) for any level of Whisky drinker. Though if I'm in the mood for something with a little more flavour to it a 18yr Tallisker really hits the spot.

BigGaz

Perhaps you could take a moment to rediscover beer. Beer over here isn't what it is in the US. Ofcourse, you're visiting London, so you'll only be able to get a shandy. ;) Try Old Peculiar. Tastes like molassas.. Mmmmm... :D

Although I do remember finding Newcastle Brown in Boston. There's a bottle of beer that always tastes like a night at a rock club.

Glenfiddich or Glenlivet; some smooth highland whiskeys

Cocktails are the real way to go. Drinks that actually taste nice. Everyone knows that noone really likes the taste of beer and whiskey. Margarhitas!

If anyone has time to spare on the Friday and enjoys a range of ales to choose from, might I recommend a trip to The Jerusalem Tavern. It's a short walk from Farringdon tube station. It has a great range of beers to choose from, most are in bottles but some cask.

http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/london/default.htm

Cocktails are the real way to go. Drinks that actually taste nice. Everyone knows that noone really likes the taste of beer and whiskey. Margarhitas!

Love how you say that, and then state a margharita. They are disgusting! :lol:

I like an orgasm (Vodka, Amaretto, Baileys, Kahlua and Milk). Fantastic drink. Just a bit odd when you have to ask one the most attractive barmaids you'll see in town for it! Haha

Perhaps you could take a moment to rediscover beer. Beer over here isn't what it is in the US. Ofcourse, you're visiting London, so you'll only be able to get a shandy. ;) Try Old Peculiar. Tastes like molassas.. Mmmmm... :D

Although I do remember finding Newcastle Brown in Boston. There's a bottle of beer that always tastes like a night at a rock club.

I don't think Old Peculiar is the beer it once was. But if that's your type of beer, keep an eye open for a Youngs pub. Winter Warmer should go on sale this week; a classic sweet, malty winter beer.

If you think we're all shandy drinkers down here, look out for Fullers ESB.

As for "beer isn't what it is in the US" - not much truth in that these days either thankfully. The US has micro breweries galore, many of them very good indeed. And a lot of them reviving, recreating and rethinking classic European beers. Some of the hoppiest, tastiest IPA's I've ever drunk have been in the US.

Newcastle Brown? I'd rather drink water.

As for "beer isn't what it is in the US" - not much truth in that these days either thankfully. The US has micro breweries galore, many of them very good indeed. And a lot of them reviving, recreating and rethinking classic European beers. Some of the hoppiest, tastiest IPA's I've ever drunk have been in the US.

Spent an hour or so with Kirk in a bar opposite Fenway the other week. They brewed quite a range of beers on-site, and they were very enjoyable.

Unfortunately we only managed to sample about 6 or 7 between us in the short time we had before the game. We'll just have to go back next year to try the rest.

I've tried to like Coors Light, I really have, but I just can't get away from the fact that it's tastes like cold fizzy water.

Bud Lite on tap's alright. Don't think we get it over here though.