Sign in to follow this  
Jawa242

A Nice Chat With A Londoner About The Game

So Stephanie and I decided to try a restaraunt called Wagamama in London yesterday for lunch... I was wearing a Patriots long sleeve tee shirt and at the table next to us was a couple. When they got up after paying their bill he noticed my tee shirt and asked if I was a Patriots fan. I told him that we are here from Boston for the week and that the game is the reason for our trip.

He was surprised that we flew from America just for a 3 hour football game. He then told me that HE was going to the game as well. I was a little surprised at that. Then he told us that he has gone to all the NFL games at Wembley since they started them 3 years ago, he doesnt have a "team" but he loves to watch American football live. He then told me and Stephanie that he always picks a team to route for to make the game more exciting for him. He told us that he had "picked" the Patriots as "his team" for this weekend. I found that very endearing. He said that he learned about the NFL through recent video games and usually routes for the Bills during the regular season because that is his favorite team to play when he plays the video games.

I found it interesting to meet a Londoner who is going to the game, however randomly picks the team to route for... in America people get beat up and assaulted for routing for specific teams in "enemy" stadiums. (I know, I've seen enough of it in person having Patriots season tickets and living so close to Fenway Park).

Anyway, no real moral or point to my story other than it was the first moment since we arrived here on Friday that I had a "wow, we are really here for a Patriots game" moment. He asked me about the sat night party because he saw an advertizment for it at the Sports Cafe (?) and Stephanie told him that we had confirmed our tickets the day they announced the party so we did not know the status of extra tickets being available.

I have worn a piece of Patriots apparel everyday that we have been here so far (either a tee shirt or hat) and he has been the only one so far to approach me and have a lengthy conversation about the game, or the NFL in general...

I did read the article about the game in the London Eye (is that the name of the free paper on the Tube?) this morning on our way to the Natural History Museum so that was nice it got some coverage, even if it was 100% about Tampa Bay!!!!!

~Brian & Stephanie

Nice story.

Which Waga's were you at? Did you have the Chicken Katsu curry?

I always enjoy a good Wag an lunchtime. :huh:

When the first one opened up (Bloomsbury by the museum, about '93-ish), you used to have to be there by 11:45 for a 12:00 opening. The queue (line) would run up the stairs and out the street for hours.

The good thing about such an early lunch was the amount of time left for a pub visit on the way back to the office. Ah life was good in those old days working with a civil service.

Nice story.

I always enjoy a good Wag an lunchtime.

Um, we went to the one closest to Picadilly Circus...??? I got the Chile Ramen (soooooooooo good!!!) Stephanie got some soup that starts with an "i" that I cant pronounce, lol

Um, we went to the one closest to Picadilly Circus...??? I got the Chile Ramen (soooooooooo good!!!) Stephanie got some soup that starts with an "i" that I cant pronounce, lol

Yasai Itame?

Yasai Itame?

yes!!! but she got it with Tofu instead of chicken...

i was upgrading my phone today in t-mobile in the city centre and spend 20 odd mins sorting out which one... my gf made a comment about the camera not been that good for wembley, turns out the guy who was serving us was a ravens fan and was off to the game..... so less time on the fone and more time was spent talking about the game and nfl.. first time i have had a long convo about nfl with any stranger

It's vegetarian. It always comes with tofu :lol: .

<----- stupid American :lol:

i was upgrading my phone today in t-mobile in the city centre and spend 20 odd mins sorting out which one... my gf made a comment about the camera not been that good for wembley, turns out the guy who was serving us was a ravens fan and was off to the game..... so less time on the fone and more time was spent talking about the game and nfl.. first time i have had a long convo about nfl with any stranger

Had my annual meeting with the Yellow Pages rep a couple of weeks ago, seems it's a different one each year and this years one turns out to be a Broncos fan and also plays tight end for Bristol Aztecs in BAFL. Meeting usually lasts an hour at most, so nearly three hours later, we finally part company, with me saying I'd see him again in a couple of weeks once we'd thrashed the Broncos that weekend :( . Still let him back in this week, but I think I'll make him sweat a while before I renew my ads for next year. He's another one who's going to Wembley, just hope he now does the right thing and supports the Pats.

Happened again today.... at STONEHENGE for christ's sake!!! There we were, admiring the stones that our alien fathers placed there so many years ago before their spaceships broke down, and someone asked if we were going to the game, and we chatted with someone else from here going to the game... he was wearing a Red Sox hat which also warmed my heart...

(just kidding about the aliens... or am I??? muahahaha)

Nice story.

Chicken Katsu! We used to have offices on Leicester sq. and so lived in Wagamama's. I'm down there till Wed after the game. May have to have my green tea and Chiken Katsu.