Sign in to follow this  
Wycombe Patriots

What A Weekend

Wow. So many emotions this weekend. It was great to meet many of you for the first time. So many new names and faces to try and remember!

Saturday morning's flag game was a lot of fun. As someone who's never played any form of American football, I found that I'd picked up a lot from watching so many games over the past few years. I enjoyed my one reception and one tackle immensely, although I'd rather we didn't mention the end zone drops or the fumbled pass! :unsure:

Saturday night was excellent too. I didn't manage to actually see Kraft or Troy - I could hear them, but it was just too crowded to get anywhere near them. But I got rather drunk, had a sing and a dance and met lots of lovely Pats fans. In any case, having met the cheerleaders and John Smith (and shook hands with Mike Alstott) in the morning, I'm not too devastated about missing Kraft and Brown.

And then gameday... a thoroughly enjoyable tailgate at the Green Man... good food, good weather, great beer, then a brief stop into the official tailgate, before hitting the ground.

The game itself was something of a damp squib. I think we just stunned Tampa early, and it was abundantly clear early on that they weren't going to have the mettle to come from behind. I've heard some criticisms of the performance today in the press though, which upsets me, as the Pats came for the win, and got the win. We were even able to get Brady out of there before the end, which is always going to be a huge bonus.

I thought the biggest factor for me was the superb pass rush, which gave Tampa problems all day. It allowed Mayo to make some big plays, and gave Tampa very little chance to find Winslow or Bryant in the open field. There were so many hurries, hits and sacks, all day long, coming from all angles. Merriweather, it goes without saying, was simply brilliant, but McGowan alongside him impressed me even more. Mayo was everywhere, which is great news, and him and Guyton could be deadly together for a long time for us. And Banta-Cain had another good day, including a memorable tackle on Ward in the backfield. Overall, I see marked improvement on our D over last season.

As for the offense, I thought mostly, we played very well. Brady didn't have his best day but I think Tampa's secondary put up a good fight. Brady had time in the pocket, but the receivers weren't always open, and I think that caused the second pick when he underthrew Tate, and also the pass that was deflected at the line. There was also the run/pass option where Brady didn't get the ball away and caused a penalty for ineligible man downfield. At the same time, he threw a beautiful TD to Watson, and he kept the play alive to make the pass to Aiken.

And I can't finish without mentioning Wes Welker, who proved that he's white, that he's small AND that he catches every ball. :P 10 catches on 10 targets. He really is the best slot receiver in the NFL by a country mile.

This Pats team, after seeing them live, is clearly talented enough to go all the way this year. There will be some bumps along the road, but if we can stay healthy, the AFC East should be ours, particularly as the Jets are picking up lots of bad injuries to key playmakers. And I've not seen anyone in the AFC setting themsleves apart from the rest (except maybe Indy) the way the Saints have in the NFC. I like our chances this year.

Finally, I have to give huge huge thanks to everyone who helped make the weekend possible, especially Ade, Damian, and of course, our Patriots organisation, which went the extra mile for us to give us all a weekend to remember.

I definately agree, brilliant weekend guys! It was fantastic to meet all those we met and to hang out with our members from the other side of the pond. The Saturday night party was just fabulous, we were with Ian and his crew who happened to be an absolute riot!! The seats/game were great too. A special special thanks to all those involved in organising the tickets and events, we had a bloody great time!! Don't forget I still want a t-shirt James!! Gary and I just can't thank you all enough, we will defiantely be road tripping next year :-)

Sam

Is there somewhere we can post all the photo's so we can all see each others shots?

Yep, totally agree.

Had a wonderful time. From meeting some of you at the party; albeit briefly as we retreated out of the noisy area as our 11 year old wasn't coping. Fair play to the Sports Bar though, I explained it to Michelle and she allowed us to go to the front and stay out there. He was delighted go to meet and get a photo with Pat and I got to shake Mr Crafts hand as he came in, so no complaints from me.

Thanks to all for organising this.

Game day.. Tailgate was great and the game itself is best summed up by my son "That was the best thing I have ever seen"!!

Postgame was some lovely chat with Bob from Rode island and his wife (sorry for not catching your name) back at the hotel. Also posters on here and lovely folks

A day to remember.

Really was one of the best times ever :D:D

met some many great people off here and other nfl fans

especially the green man crew andy, symon and the the non pat fans paul related to stron and gareth my friend ...... and my match ukpats fan nearmy and his brother

The patry on the saturday was great , so many people from the patriots turning up,

my mate won alot of prizes on the raffle but gave them away as hes not a pats fans :) so lucky tucker ended up with a replica helemt i ended up with a throwback replica helmet ( which john smith signed for me :) ) and dvds and a bobbing tom brady.

the sunday green man tailgate was great aswell, party all day :) shook hands with the Commissioner roger goodell at the offical tailgate

and to round it all off the patriots won :)

Guest eat-junk-become-junk

i cant belive ive only just heard about this group/forum/collection of intelligent pats fans!!

what a cracking weekend this one has been, it was pretty epic from the word go!!

me and a group of friends went for our third international series and this had to be the best so far!

im glad to hear all you die-hards had a great time as well

and another great win for new england! :D

x

Hey guys just got back to the old homestead . Im not gonna talk about the game because im sure its been covered and will be more covered in posts to come.

What i do want to say is a HUGE big thank you for making me feel so welcome . I was quite aware that a lot of you guys had already met each other and kind of thought you would all stick together and it would be hard to get to know you guys. How wrong can a guy be you guys simply made that probably the best weekend of my life . Id love to type all the names of the guys who made it so but there is just way too many but beleive me from the bottom of my heart i have never met a nicer bunch of guys . I do however want to single out Ade , James and anyone else involved in the overall setup of the weekend....i truly dont think you guys know how much you done for us all!

Of course my weekend was topped by winning the main raffle prize ( two tickets to any home game next season and two nights stay in Patriot place) :D . After that i never knew i had so many friends :P..lol . The wife has put an end to any raffle plans though lol :D .

My only regret is not meeting EVERYONE . There were a few guys who i didnt actually get to meet who i wanted to and off the top of my head Chelsea , Wycombe and Hull im sorry i didnt get to say hello .

UKPatriots til i die!!!!

Is there somewhere we can post all the photo's so we can all see each others shots?

I have got lots of photos and videos on my phone and camera and I am going to be uploading them on to my facebook and would love to put them on here and see others as well.

What a weekend it was great to meet the fans from this site and has gotten me to get on this more cause some of the guys I met over the weekend were sound. The game was good and a gr8 result. 2 best players for me Welker and Mayweather (got a interception recorded on my phone by pure chance lol)

GO ON STUMALOO FOR WINNING TICKETS LUCKY GIT

My only regret is not meeting EVERYONE . There were a few guys who i didnt actually get to meet who i wanted to and off the top of my head Chelsea , Wycombe and Hull im sorry i didnt get to say hello .

UKPatriots til i die!!!!

I was looking for you as well stumaloo - I heard some accents that i thought might be you, but they turned out to be other northern-irelanders.

Although to be fair, the state that I was in on saturday night, you didn't miss out on much in the way of intellectual conversation.

And you're still the king of the daily trivia quiz as far as i'm concerned.

I can only repeat what has been said above my daughter enjoyed every minute as well from Sat night to the tailagte & the game , even her Mom attending her first game could'nt believe how well everyone got on & the spectical of it all.

Ade & James deserve so much thanks & I must say James our T shirts are way better than the official game shirts at half the price !!

I was looking for you as well stumaloo - I heard some accents that i thought might be you, but they turned out to be other northern-irelanders.

Although to be fair, the state that I was in on saturday night, you didn't miss out on much in the way of intellectual conversation.

And you're still the king of the daily trivia quiz as far as i'm concerned.

They were probably my friends i came over with 3 fellow N.Irelanders :) . Well if you were around during the raffle you would have seen me on stage for about 10 mins with the biggest grin ever and the rest of the night as well with the biggest grin...infact if im not mistaken its still there :D

The grin will never get off his face after that weekend. It was weird me and stu and the other 2 that went with us were talking bout going next year and then he wins lol

Excellent weekend, many thanks for all your efforts.

Was a bit of a shock when I realised I hadn't seen the Pats since the Dallas game in 2004!!!

I must make sure I don't wait another 5 years.

The American Buccs fan behind us in row 35/36 was definately worth the visit alone, anyone who can be that chipper whilst his team is getting slapped deserves a a slap on the back.

Excellent weekend, many thanks for all your efforts.

Was a bit of a shock when I realised I hadn't seen the Pats since the Dallas game in 2004!!!

I must make sure I don't wait another 5 years.

The American Buccs fan behind us in row 35/36 was definately worth the visit alone, anyone who can be that chipper whilst his team is getting slapped deserves a a slap on the back.

Agreed, that guy was hilarious.

I was in 32, and the guy had me in stitches.

"Another Tampa ...... 4th down"

"Ah so you gonna wail on the Tampa fan eh ?, not happy being 21 points up you gotta have a go at me too ? How about I get the wife and kids out and you can wail on them as well ? Or how about I get the puppy out for a good kicking ?" :lol:

Guest Ex-Patriot
Agreed, that guy was hilarious.

I was in 32, and the guy had me in stitches.

"Another Tampa ...... 4th down"

"Ah so you gonna wail on the Tampa fan eh ?, not happy being 21 points up you gotta have a go at me too ? How about I get the wife and kids out and you can wail on them as well ? Or how about I get the puppy out for a good kicking ?" :lol:

I think I was sat with you guys, if we're talking about the same dude; he was a Boston-based Buc, if memory serves.

Think he actually started with "Another Patriots ...... 4th down!" when he had nothing else to root for!

His roughing the passer/Brady quips were also amusing: "WHO TOUCHED BRADY?! WHO TOUCHED MR BRADY?!" - you had to laugh. :)

I can't thank enough all the people that put their own time and effort into making this weekend one to remember!! Meeting Patriot fans from the UK and US, meeting people on this board (WP great sitting next to you on game day :D ) just abit disappointed i missed the flag game on the saturday morning :(

All in all though it was a terrific weekend and i am definatley going over to Boston next year to catch a game!! Thanks again all involved :D

I think I was sat with you guys, if we're talking about the same dude; he was a Boston-based Buc, if memory serves.

Think he actually started with "Another Patriots ...... 4th down!" when he had nothing else to root for!

His roughing the passer/Brady quips were also amusing: "WHO TOUCHED BRADY?! WHO TOUCHED MR BRADY?!" - you had to laugh. :)

i was sat in that area i was in block 120 row 32 was wearing a mayo blue jersey and nearmy who was sat next to me was having banter with him

i was sat in that area i was in block 120 row 32 was wearing a mayo blue jersey and nearmy who was sat next to me was having banter with him

Would you guys please learn how to speak ENGLISH. Us Yanks don't understand a word you are saying. Just kidding :D

I do have two regrets from the weekend.

First, not meeting everybody especially some of the old timers like Wycombe, Adiedee, TBX3 and los to name a few.

Secondly, not being in front of Stu rather than behind him whilst buying raffle tickets. :o:lol:

Couldnt have gone to a nicer bloke though, congrats mate and enjoy.

Oh and that civil partnership offer still stands. ;)

Was NEarmy wearing a "Thomas" jersey, hence being called Thomas by said Buccs fan ?

He was sitting two along from me (though I had me specs on during the game).

And the guy in front being called Vrabel as well.

Yeh the guy said he was like 'Al Quaeda' in Boston undercover :lol:

Quality banter.

Was NEarmy wearing a "Thomas" jersey, hence being called Thomas by said Buccs fan ?

Quality banter.

Yeh nearmy was wearing a thomas jersey :D ..

sure u would have seen me going to get one of many pints or toilet runs

I was just gonna say that you lot were coming back with two handhelds of 4 pints in each hand every time :lol:

I didnt come across nearmy (dean) all weekend, I needed to buy him some alcoholic beverages!

I was just gonna say that you lot were coming back with two handhelds of 4 pints in each hand every time :lol:

me and my mate sank around 10 or more beers each lol was a stunning game and weekend

I do have two regrets from the weekend.

First, not meeting everybody especially some of the old timers like Wycombe, Adiedee, TBX3 and los to name a few.

Secondly, not being in front of Stu rather than behind him whilst buying raffle tickets. :o:lol:

Couldnt have gone to a nicer bloke though, congrats mate and enjoy.

Oh and that civil partnership offer still stands. ;)

Same here LT - however as we only found the UK Pats tent at around 2.30 there wasn't a great amount of time before people started heading over. Really glad I met the people I did see like Beamer, Flipper, Stron, Seagull and Chris (Nomad). Just a bunch of great guys here and I'm disappointed I didn't get to meet more. Might make that the primary reason for attending the Superbowl event. After all if I can get London Euston single to Chester for £35 advance First Class then it makes the weekend trip worth it.

Quality banter.

Yep, Vrabel, guilty as charged :)

Well if you were around during the raffle you would have seen me on stage for about 10 mins with the biggest grin ever and the rest of the night as well with the biggest grin...infact if im not mistaken its still there :D

91881920.jpg

Chuffed to bits for you Stu, so glad it went to someone who otherwise would probably not be able to get to a game - and very glad it went to a Brit rather than "Jim from Massachusetts" (or "Mark from Cheshire" :o)

You were standing next to me, asked me what the ticket number was, then next thing I know, you were jumping about going understandably nuts!

What a weekend.

You were standing next to me, asked me what the ticket number was, then next thing I know, you were jumping about going understandably nuts!

What a weekend.

lol at that stage though i genuinly thought id won a signed helmet or something like that . It was when i was asked to wait to give details i realised that it was something much bigger...lol

Paul i was just talking to my friend the week before about going to a game next season and i told him there was no way i could afford to go unless my financial situation changed dramatically so yeah i genuinly has gone to someone who would not have gone otherwise :) . I became very popular after that win for some reason ;)..lol

Guest Ex-Patriot

Think I was the dude next to you then, Ensign - I was in the white Wes Welker. I'm sure I'm right: Vrabel + Leeds + accent. ;):D

Absolutely brilliant weekend, met up with so many people from the site, some for the first time, others for a reunion.

Special congratulations to Stumaloo, I'm really pleased for you mate, you'll have a blast over there next year.

A big thankyou to all the Moderators of the site, who have put in so much work over many months to bring this weekend together.

Dammit mate, you were in the seat right in front of me.

I really need to get rid of this ultimate shyness.

Dammit mate, you were in the seat right in front of me.

I really need to get rid of this ultimate shyness.

:lol:

This is why everyone was sent the seating plan in advance .. ! :rolleyes:

On the subject of the seating plan .. to those I promised an aisle seat, I do apologise. The aisles were not in the same place as the seating chart that I had.

On the subject of the seating plan .. to those I promised an aisle seat, I do apologise. The aisles were not in the same place as the seating chart that I had.

No worries ade lol

Had a great time and great seats cheers once again

No worries about the aisle seat Ade we had a great time I sat next to Stu & we had a ball, except for 1 asshole of a Redskins fan in front of us who was a real Pats hater :mad:

wondered about that, ended up behind the disabled seating area, loved it, got a railing to rest on during change of possesions.

Was a bit pissed off with a buccs fan on the back row in front of me though, insisted on waving flags whilst stood on his seat, didn't effect me but the bloke in the wheelchair must have had a memorable view!

I printed off the seatplan so I could see who I was around, then promply forgot to take it with me.

I got you in one of my pics Ensign.

Will post it in Wembley section.

What i do want to say is a HUGE big thank you for making me feel so welcome . I was quite aware that a lot of you guys had already met each other and kind of thought you would all stick together and it would be hard to get to know you guys. How wrong can a guy be you guys simply made that probably the best weekend of my life .

From the very 1st person I met from UK Pats as expected you all made me and my mate very welcome over the whole weekend. Hopefully wil be able to meet up again.