Sign in to follow this  
JoshInWales

I Think Boston.com Deserves Some Criticism

Hey guys, had a great time at the game :)

But boston.com really got on my nerves reading it when i got home. All i read is how negative everything was about the game. They had a writer (forgot his name) write about how much he was hating everything and he came across as a real whiny ****

Now a read a piece on how bad the reception was too nationally. Well it's a regular season blowout. It's a growing sport. What more do you expect?

At the end of the day, you filled out a 90'000 seater stadium, the intrest is there, and it was a great show. It's growing.

I noticed that.

Shaughnessy is an idiot.

F him. One bad apple in a bunch isn't too bad I suppose.

I noticed that.

Shaughnessy is an idiot.

Pretty much what the PFW crew said. If he'd ventured outside the VIP enclosure he might have met some non-Americans instead of the American media. Sheesh.

Guest Ex-Patriot

I spoke to Shaughnessy briefly at the SC Saturday; he came across like wanting to be someplace else.

I've said it elsewhere but since Reiss left, the quality of reporting on Boston.com has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaay downhill.

and the quality of reporting at espn boston has gone way up :)

It's like the guy already knew what he was going to write,even before he arrived in the UK,and that nothing would have changed his views! There must have been a few fans back in Boston feeling the same way about this unwanted trip for them! just as there would have been a few who were really up for the trip to London,he didn't put any risk on himself by having a negative view! in the Boston press,he knew that he would get some support!

But you can bet your arse,we were very glad the New England Patriots did come to play in the UK, and deep down i think all those from New England were also glad they came over too! ;)

Anyone got a link to this, cheers.

Anyone got a link to this, cheers.

the Patriots.com radio station had a very interesting segment about how different the game was compared to games in America, I felt they were honest and didnt candy coat it without bashing anything....

the Patriots.com radio station had a very interesting segment about how different the game was compared to games in America, I felt they were honest and didnt candy coat it without bashing anything....

Yeah I've seen one or two bits a pieces over the last few days, the best was in PFW, very balanced in the summary debating all relevant angles with a good degree of impartiality. I think we would be kidding ourselves if there wasn't some negativity towards the London game/future franchise in the press over the other side of the pond as this after all is America's game and any change and the motives behind change would be scrutinized by a number in the press who would see no need to change the game and its extended family.

It was the same over here with the 39 game, I'll always be a Patriot so as long as I have gamepass I'm happy.

I've read a few things over the last couple of weeks that Shaughnessy has wrote.

The guy doesn't seem to know anything about the Patriots, UK, fans or just the players in general.

Guy needs to start a mailbag so it can be flooded with messages from the UK.

I'm obviously in an angry mood tonight :D My hitlist is growing: BucPower, Paul Stewart, Shaughnessy, the old bloke on the Bucs Flag team that kept complaining...

Must need sleep to slow the list down.

On Monday morning following the game I watched BBC News and they sort of treated it like Shaunessy did. There was no enthusiasm on the part of the announcers, most of the highlights were of the Bucs cheerleaders, and they had segment (just as long) on a miniature golf tournament played by guys in kilts. And Sky Sports wasn't a whole helluva lot better. I gather that neither the US nor UK press thinks that a permanent NFL team in Europe, or at least the UK, is a good idea.

Guest Keithj

I don't like it, Dan, but I can't altogether blame them. For example, one of our local soccer teams was promoted into the lowest tier of the Football League for the first time in its history at the end of last season and is more than holding its own so far. Our local BBC radio station, Radio Derby, covers the area where this club is based and, not unreasonably, has increased the amount of time it allocates to covering Burton Albion. You should hear the screams and wails from the Derby County supporters who reckon they're being cheated out of air-time! I have no doubt that Sky and the BBC at national level would get hundreds of emails and letters of complaint if the NFL were given a significant billing, even for just one or two days a year.

The NFL is an expanding niche market over here but it's expanding from a very small level and twice not a lot is still not a lot. You could argue, I suspect, that the British media is quite cynical about the NFL, having seen the London/England Monarchs and the Scottish Claymores both fail in the not too-distant past and that it has no confidence that any level of support is sustainable. Frankly, if Channel 5 stops broadcasting it and Sky doesn't restore its coverage to previous levels I would tend to agree.

Keith

I gather that neither the US nor UK press thinks that a permanent NFL team in Europe, or at least the UK, is a good idea.

I have to say i agree with them. A franchise in Europe or the UK is an absolute terrible idea. It will never work and for me should never even be discussed by the NFL front office. I would also add i dont like the idea of a second game coming to the UK , one of those games will see a very poor crowd and will lead to even more critism. Whilst i have very much enjoyed the three international games i dont think it has helped a great deal in expanding the NFL in the UK. As Keith has just mentioned what we need is more TV coverage as its the easiest way to pick up more fans.

For me the thing that alot of US press get wrong is thinking we know very little about the game , the NFL is a small market over here that cant be disputed what can is how much fans over here know about the game.

Oh and a thread was closed what i wanted to post in ala Paul Stewart. The guy has been and always will be a tool. He was shocking and laughable on Sky. Favre will be a Buc , the guy has the inside knowledge.

I have to say i agree with them. A franchise in Europe or the UK is an absolute terrible idea. It will never work and for me should never even be discussed by the NFL front office. I would also add i dont like the idea of a second game coming to the UK , one of those games will see a very poor crowd and will lead to even more critism. Whilst i have very much enjoyed the three international games i dont think it has helped a great deal in expanding the NFL in the UK. As Keith has just mentioned what we need is more TV coverage as its the easiest way to pick up more fans.

For me the thing that alot of US press get wrong is thinking we know very little about the game , the NFL is a small market over here that cant be disputed what can is how much fans over here know about the game.

Oh and a thread was closed what i wanted to post in ala Paul Stewart. The guy has been and always will be a tool. He was shocking and laughable on Sky. Favre will be a Buc , the guy has the inside knowledge.

Would a second game draw such a small crowd, though? The tickets for the game sold out in 6 minutes this year, compared to 40 minutes and 90 minutes the previous years. There is the market for it and it would also allow for easier access to the NFL for fans who maybe couldn't travel as far as London.

Guest Keithj

The risk with having more than one game is that fans have a choice. With one game a year you could argue that fans will always buy the tickets just to be able to see an NFL game. Let's now think about having two terrible teams for one game and the other with a decent team, even if it's facing a poor outfit. Which is the most likely to draw the fans?

The fundamental weakness of the International Series is that teams have to volunteer to lose a home game. Teams like the Pats, who have a massive waiting list for season tickets and a ground that's packed for the great majority of games, are never going to do that so you're left with the yearly equivalents of Tennessee, Tampa, St Louis, Detroit or Jacksonville - the last not as bad as the others but unable to come close to selling out its stadium. NFL-UK has to pay compensation to the 'home' team for the loss of concession and parking fees, etc, so that's a big carrot for a struggler.

That means there's now a chance that the two games will both be between awful teams and should that start to become the norm would enthusiasm stay? I doubt it! What if, as has also been suggested, one of the franchises splits its season between its home town and London. Again, it's likely to be a struggling franchise so why would anyone get interested to the point of buying a four-game season ticket? Would they keep the plum fixtures in the States? Would the Yanks be happy to see the plum games of a crappy season played abroad?

As I wrote earlier, the key to the NFL's success in Europe is to increase its exposure in the media. At the moment, I'd say that it's largely preaching to the converted and isn't bringing in all that many new fans. It was my first IS game but I've been a fan since 1985. They don't need the likes of me at Wembley. They need a significant number of the curious and uncommitted but how will they be reached with so few column-inches in the papers?

Answers on a post-card to Roger Goodell....... :)

Keith

Guest Keithj

Not very many, I'd say. The whole process of getting tickets at the moment is complex and, therefore, militates against the uncommitted fan. How many people outside that group know that you have to jump through hoops to get the chance to apply for a ticket? Why would they bother to go through that tiresome process when they don't know whether spending a fair dollop of dosh will feel like value for money? I will think carefully before doing that for 2010 because I'm a Pats fan first and an NFL fan second. They have to make it infinitely easier to get tickets and they have to vastly increase the amount of American football in the British and European media to have a hope of pulling in people from the streets. At present, the proverbial man on the Clapham omnibus knows little and cares less about the NFL.

As I wrote to John Rooke last Wednesday, the NFL hasn't come close to establishing the stable level of support in the UK and Europe. They will have to, effectively, saturate us with games for three to five years, i.e. enough time for the novelty to wear off. I think that amounts to a minimum of two games per year in up to four European cities so that they develop data for a European Division, IMO the only realistic way for expansion to go. So now they need to find volunteers to lose eight home games a season! Think that's going to be easy? I don't! That's every team doing a trans-Atlantic trip every other year - minimum. I would think they'd eventually have to move to it being every team every year, when you could expect the screams of anguish from both owners and fans to become deafening.

It would be interesting to know how much more coverage there's been in Germany as a result of Vollmer's signing with the Pats. He went through a US university, though, so the chance of other European players in the League is low while the path remains States-side and the universities don't need to look abroad for talent but that would be a way to increase interest in the game.

Keith