Sugar Bear

Wembley, Thanks And Thoughts

Many thanks to Papa and Mrs Lazarou, not only for all the effort they put into the weekend, but personal thanks also from Lauren for their purchase of her game ticket, and from Ed and myself for making tickets available for us out of their allocation.

Good to meet up with Kirk again (we had met at the Falcons game and again the next day at Fenway). Kirk, the amount of time you spent in Boston this year supporting both Patriots and Redsox, you were the well deserved wearer of a Superbowl ring. And Mrs Bear recalls that you managed to get beer at the Green Man about 10 times quicker than anyone else. You’re a free spirit, all the best until the next time we meet.

Also would like to mention a pleasant walk from the Green Man down to the stadium in the company of Chelseafan71. It was nice to meet you.

Friday 23rd October.

We got into Holyhead around 3:30pm, then stopped off at Llanfair PG for a short tourist visit (Ed & Lauren saw 4 of the 5 nations of the British Isles this visit, having seen the 5th on previous visits). Then the long drive down, arriving at our hotel near Heathrow just before 10pm.

Mrs Lazarou had informed us of the change of plan for Friday night, but we were all pretty tired from the journey (and from serious alcohol abuse the previous 4 nights in Ireland), so we settled in for the evening with a bottle of Famous Grouse.

Saturday 24th October.

Met up with Papa and Mrs Lazarou outside the Sports Café and went around the corner for a quiet pint (London Pride and Tim Taylors Landlord on offer). Back at the Sports Café I recognised the bouncer, who used to work at the Sports Café in Salford (since folded).

I understand that the choice of the venue was influenced/decided by the Patriots organization, but apologies in case any of the following comment causes offence to UK Patriots.

If the London Sports Café had been as extensive as the one in Salford used to be - I think the thing would have worked well : at the Salford venue there were 2 side rooms dedicated to meetings etc. and these were the ones where I used to watch playoff games on the big screen in peace whilst a full blown disco was running on the main floor (one time the game went on until 4:15 am, long after the discoers had been thrown out, and the patient bouncers, outnumbering the remaining fans, waited for the game to finish).

As it was - presentations and speeches took place in a small, sweaty disco hall. It might have been better for Robert Kraft and Troy Brown to have a side room at their disposal, laid out with seating for the fans.

The microphone volume was insane, but once most of my hearing had been numbed out, it was amusing to listen to the Cheerleader - on helium - reading out the bingo numbers.

Sunday 25th October.

Just my opinion, but I think that this is the one and only time the Patriots play a regular season game in Britain.

Why ? Other big name teams will all get a shot over the next few years and before the Patriots turn comes around again I think that the penny will drop with the NFL that nothing much is being gained by playing the game in front of an audience which largely doesn’t understand it.

(Not being elitist here - even the experts get some things wrong. An American voice in the UK Pats section shouted out in the 2nd half : “Establish the run”. Sounded like good advice, except that Tampa had the ball)

Merchandising could probably be sustained by continuing the tradition of preseason Wembley games.

The Mexican wave does not belong in the NFL. Maybe it used to happen at the Kingdome, but they are funny people over there. It just doesn’t belong, and when it happens we have to wait during an officials timeout until people wave themselves out (if I’m wrong, and the Pats do play again in the UK - head for the bar as soon as the wave starts. You won’t miss a thing.)

Now I’m certain that this will offend a number of people with this next one, but soccer style chants do not belong in the NFL either. I like soccer (congratulations Revolution) and I enjoy some of the chants, but not in NFL games.

Tailgate.

What tailgate ? Okay, there are some NFL stadia which don’t/can’t allow tailgates. We thought of Detroit for one.

There are a good few modern stadia in the UK now - surely one of them would agree to hosting the NFL and making extensive areas of parking lot available for a proper tailgate. All they need to provide are the handy houses. You can be sure that hotdog and burger stalls will turn up if permitted.

Everything else would be provided by the fans, as it is at Foxboro tailgates.

I heard that the Green Man was actually one of the better venues and that people arriving from other venues were pleasantly surprised to find that the beer lines were only 25 minutes.

We’re pretty sure that bars in the US have a safety restriction on numbers of people and the number of people inside the Green Man would have exceeded that restriction. What if there had been a downpour on Sunday ? If the NFL considers an alternative UK stadium, and stadium parking lot tailgate is still not an option, I hope that they at least choose a stadium with more and better pub options in the immediate vicinity.

Hi,

I think it is such a shame that you feel the way you do about most of your weekend. It's such a pity you did not see it the way most of us did. I can speak for my Husband and I when I say that we had the most amazing time in London and EVERYTHING except the game itself is due to the hard work and devotion from those involved in setting up so many wonderful experiences. Yes the Sports Cafe was loud, hot and sweaty but I was certainly bowled over to see Mr Kraft and Troy Brown standing right in front of me. I could not imaging sitting in a news conference style area considering the circumstances. These people worked tirelessly to set this up.

I also have to add that I am not an NFL expert. Does that mean I should have stayed at home this weekend or does it actually mean I should come along and get more understanding than I previously did. I'm sorry if you feel we all have to be experts on the game before being allowed to come along. So you got a dafty shouting the wrong thing at the wrong time. Is it that much of a problem to you or is it best to laugh it off and remember the dafty that was sitting next to you at the game.

I can't even go on defending the rest of this. I hope I am not talking out of term on this and please remove this post if anyone feels I have but I think it is a sorry day when people are critisising so many things about such a wonderful weekend. You had the chance to go to SOLD-OUT ticketed events and can't seem to find anything good to say. I think people without tickets would've been sorry to hear that.

I guess I'm just saying respect where respect is due. always look on the bright side. lol

All I can finish on is thank you to those who made this the best weekend we have had in such a long time and helped to create memories that will stay with us for the rest of our lives and sorry again if I have talked out of line.

Guest Ex-Patriot

On the basis that it's your own personal experience/opinion, I won't disagree with anything you've said, but there's one thing I will agree with you on:

We’re pretty sure that bars in the US have a safety restriction on numbers of people and the number of people inside the Green Man would have exceeded that restriction.

I've been in loads of rammed boozers in my time. I've NEVER seen a bar/pub/hotel, call it what you want, as rammed as that! It was just biblical! :o

Hi,

I think it is such a shame that you feel the way you do about most of your weekend. It's such a pity you did not see it the way most of us did. I can speak for my Husband and I when I say that we had the most amazing time in London and EVERYTHING except the game itself is due to the hard work and devotion from those involved in setting up so many wonderful experiences. Yes the Sports Cafe was loud, hot and sweaty but I was certainly bowled over to see Mr Kraft and Troy Brown standing right in front of me. I could not imaging sitting in a news conference style area considering the circumstances. These people worked tirelessly to set this up.

I also have to add that I am not an NFL expert. Does that mean I should have stayed at home this weekend or does it actually mean I should come along and get more understanding than I previously did. I'm sorry if you feel we all have to be experts on the game before being allowed to come along. So you got a dafty shouting the wrong thing at the wrong time. Is it that much of a problem to you or is it best to laugh it off and remember the dafty that was sitting next to you at the game.

I can't even go on defending the rest of this. I hope I am not talking out of term on this and please remove this post if anyone feels I have but I think it is a sorry day when people are critisising so many things about such a wonderful weekend. You had the chance to go to SOLD-OUT ticketed events and can't seem to find anything good to say. I think people without tickets would've been sorry to hear that.

All I can finish on is thank you to those who made this the best weekend we have had in such a long time and helped to create memories that will stay with us for the rest of our lives and sorry again if I have talked out of line.

I'd be inclined to play 'Devils advocate' here, if it wasn't for the anti inflammatory and pain killing drugs I'm taking, making me just a bit ill tempered!

All I will say is; everyone is entitled to express their opinion on this forum, you may not agree with it and it is your right to say so but, by the same token, your own opinion may not be universally agreed with either!

When I feel in a better frame of mind, I shall return to this subject, when the euphoria of THAT weekend and the effects of the drugs I'm taking have fully worn off!

Many thanks to Papa and Mrs Lazarou, not only for all the effort they put into the weekend, but personal thanks also from Lauren for their purchase of her game ticket, and from Ed and myself for making tickets available for us out of their allocation.

Good to meet up with Kirk again (we had met at the Falcons game and again the next day at Fenway). Kirk, the amount of time you spent in Boston this year supporting both Patriots and Redsox, you were the well deserved wearer of a Superbowl ring. And Mrs Bear recalls that you managed to get beer at the Green Man about 10 times quicker than anyone else. You’re a free spirit, all the best until the next time we meet.

Also would like to mention a pleasant walk from the Green Man down to the stadium in the company of Chelseafan71. It was nice to meet you.

Friday 23rd October.

We got into Holyhead around 3:30pm, then stopped off at Llanfair PG for a short tourist visit (Ed & Lauren saw 4 of the 5 nations of the British Isles this visit, having seen the 5th on previous visits). Then the long drive down, arriving at our hotel near Heathrow just before 10pm.

Mrs Lazarou had informed us of the change of plan for Friday night, but we were all pretty tired from the journey (and from serious alcohol abuse the previous 4 nights in Ireland), so we settled in for the evening with a bottle of Famous Grouse.

Saturday 24th October.

Met up with Papa and Mrs Lazarou outside the Sports Café and went around the corner for a quiet pint (London Pride and Tim Taylors Landlord on offer). Back at the Sports Café I recognised the bouncer, who used to work at the Sports Café in Salford (since folded).

I understand that the choice of the venue was influenced/decided by the Patriots organization, but apologies in case any of the following comment causes offence to UK Patriots.

If the London Sports Café had been as extensive as the one in Salford used to be - I think the thing would have worked well : at the Salford venue there were 2 side rooms dedicated to meetings etc. and these were the ones where I used to watch playoff games on the big screen in peace whilst a full blown disco was running on the main floor (one time the game went on until 4:15 am, long after the discoers had been thrown out, and the patient bouncers, outnumbering the remaining fans, waited for the game to finish).

As it was - presentations and speeches took place in a small, sweaty disco hall. It might have been better for Robert Kraft and Troy Brown to have a side room at their disposal, laid out with seating for the fans.

The microphone volume was insane, but once most of my hearing had been numbed out, it was amusing to listen to the Cheerleader - on helium - reading out the bingo numbers.

Sunday 25th October.

Just my opinion, but I think that this is the one and only time the Patriots play a regular season game in Britain.

Why ? Other big name teams will all get a shot over the next few years and before the Patriots turn comes around again I think that the penny will drop with the NFL that nothing much is being gained by playing the game in front of an audience which largely doesn’t understand it.

(Not being elitist here - even the experts get some things wrong. An American voice in the UK Pats section shouted out in the 2nd half : “Establish the run”. Sounded like good advice, except that Tampa had the ball)

Merchandising could probably be sustained by continuing the tradition of preseason Wembley games.

The Mexican wave does not belong in the NFL. Maybe it used to happen at the Kingdome, but they are funny people over there. It just doesn’t belong, and when it happens we have to wait during an officials timeout until people wave themselves out (if I’m wrong, and the Pats do play again in the UK - head for the bar as soon as the wave starts. You won’t miss a thing.)

Now I’m certain that this will offend a number of people with this next one, but soccer style chants do not belong in the NFL either. I like soccer (congratulations Revolution) and I enjoy some of the chants, but not in NFL games.

Tailgate.

What tailgate ? Okay, there are some NFL stadia which don’t/can’t allow tailgates. We thought of Detroit for one.

There are a good few modern stadia in the UK now - surely one of them would agree to hosting the NFL and making extensive areas of parking lot available for a proper tailgate. All they need to provide are the handy houses. You can be sure that hotdog and burger stalls will turn up if permitted.

Everything else would be provided by the fans, as it is at Foxboro tailgates.

I heard that the Green Man was actually one of the better venues and that people arriving from other venues were pleasantly surprised to find that the beer lines were only 25 minutes.

We’re pretty sure that bars in the US have a safety restriction on numbers of people and the number of people inside the Green Man would have exceeded that restriction. What if there had been a downpour on Sunday ? If the NFL considers an alternative UK stadium, and stadium parking lot tailgate is still not an option, I hope that they at least choose a stadium with more and better pub options in the immediate vicinity.

Well you definitely seem to be in the minority about the soccer style chants, most of the American fans around us found them hilarious, even Bills lady friend.

I guess you're a prime example of you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time, shame really but there again one unsatisfied customer amongst the hundreds of happy ones isn't too bad really.

yeah itwas good to meet up again andy chap, always is and always will be... no doubt i'll get myself up to see you sometime before the end of the year :) sunday is my highlight getting to spend time with you, Pam, Ed and Lauren on sunday over a couple of pints :)

Thanks to the UKPatriots for organising the weekend. It was a great weekend met alot of great people and was able to see the patriots for the 1st time and it was good to see them beat the bucs. I am uploading all my photos and videos I got from the game 1 inculdes meriweathers 2nd interception if anyone wants them

Susan - there is nothing wrong with your post. Don't worry :)

An American voice in the UkPats section said "way to go Tampa. Establish the run." This may not be the same comment you refered to, but it was said most sarcastically as the game (as a contest) was finished.

As Andy said, i seen plenty of people - including "VIP Americans" enjoying our chants. But everyone has, and is entitled, to their own opinions. I enjoyed that game as much (if not more) than the games i've been to in America. Mind you, there's no way any tailgate was going to come close to the ones we are treated to at Gillette :)

I expected this sort of debate to start when we were a little past our post-Wembley buzz. But one of the posts of the year nonetheless.

I agree; the Sports Cafe was a crap venue. The UKPatriots had no say in this. We considered it, and dismissed it, very early in the day, for precisely the limitations you identify. Had the Patriots front office been willing to work more closely with us, the event would have been held somewhere where everyone could have seen our guests (and it would have been nice to have known in advance who was coming). I may be speaking out of turn here, but I was disgusted that the UK Patriots who put in most work were not afforded access to the VIP area, that Robert Kraft did not name check the fan club, and that (to my knowledge) James and Adrian (amongst others) received not a word of thanks from anyone involved with the Patriots organisation.

Tailgating; you're right. There is no tradition of this in the UK. The West Car Park at Twickenham comes close when we have Rugby Internationals - but with no naked flames allowed, it's nothing compared with US tailgating (btw - add Chicago to your list of cities where tailgating is close to non-existant). And no stadium in the UK has the sort of parking space that will ever make this a probability. I'm sure the Green Man gathering was a lot of fun nonetheless.

Onto the most contentious part. I too hope that this will be the only time the Patriots play a regular season game outside the US. I disagree that the crowd were ignorant. I thought they were very appreciative of the finer points of the game. Not that you needed that to know that the Bucs were crap.

And had the Bucs not been crap, and had we actually seen a contest, I doubt that we would have seen a 10 minute wave - by some margin the most interesting thing that happened in the second half (point of information; it's not a "Mexican" wave - although most Europeans only became aware of it during the 1986 soccer World Cup in Mexico, it had already been a feature in many US stadia - including the NFL- for some time. "Denver" wave may be more accurate). Give the Wembley crowd their due - 75% of a Foxboro crowd would have already left by that point. But as great as Sunday was as a spectacle, I can't see how it was a precursor of multiple NFL games in Europe, never mind European franchises.

As for the soccer style chants - from where I was on the other side of the stadium, I heard not a word.

Wembley, quite frankly, doesn't work as an NFL stadium. The acoustics are dreadful, the video screens fuzzy, the scoreboard illegible, the floodlighting flimsy. Forget the pathetic catering, the lines for the toilets, the lack of video screens in the catering areas. OK; I've been spoiled by US stadia, but Wembley is the 7th stadium where I've watched football, and is, by some margin, the worst. Twickenham, with it's narrower field, would be considerably better.

I would not return to Wembley to watch a UK based team - unless the Pats were playing. I don't want a London franchise, I don't want Wembley to host a Super Bowl. I will almost certainly not return to see whoever the NFL pick out of the hat next year. I had good - not the best - but good - seats - but including parking, GBP300 is an expensive night out for a family of four. We'll save up and do a game in the US instead. With a proper tailgate.

Please don't misunderstand me. The weekend gone was one of the greatest of my life. And in spite of the down sides, I hope you had a great weekend.

My Patriots were in London. I was in a London bar filled with 600 Pats Fans. I met up with many old friends, and made many more. I took my kids to a Pats game, and they were asleep in their own beds 90 minutes after the game finished. I realised once again, that outside my family, the Patriots are the most important thing in my life. But you make some serious points, many of which I agree with.

My fear is that the NFL see Europe as the next cash cow, and they will neither listen nor learn. Ignorance and arrogance are a dangerous combination.

green man was fine till about 1.30... then it was queues for everything from beers to toliets and food so thats when i decide to move on

you know when i a pub is busy when there a huge queue for the mens

i waited about 30 secs for a coors light at the offical tailgate :D

I expected this sort of debate to start when we were a little past our post-Wembley buzz. But one of the posts of the year nonetheless.

I agree; the Sports Cafe was a crap venue. The UKPatriots had no say in this. We considered it, and dismissed it, very early in the day, for precisely the limitations you identify. Had the Patriots front office been willing to work more closely with us, the event would have been held somewhere where everyone could have seen our guests (and it would have been nice to have known in advance who was coming). I may be speaking out of turn here, but I was disgusted that the UK Patriots who put in most work were not afforded access to the VIP area, that Robert Kraft did not name check the fan club, and that (to my knowledge) James and Adrian (amongst others) received not a word of thanks from anyone involved with the Patriots organisation.

Graham, you've saved me an awful lot of keyboard bashing with your comments, of which, I agree whole heartedly, particularly those I have quoted above.

I think the treatment of the UKPatriots as a whole was abysmal, but worse, as you quite rightly state, the scant regard afforded to those who worked the hardest on behalf of our fan club, was quite frankly, appalling!

I hold one person entirely responsible for this shambolic affair; a name, which even the very thought of, is enough to fill me with utter disgust.

You, who have been involved from the very outset, will know, without my having to say so, who it is I refer to!

We thought it was a very memorable weekend and with an event as big as that you have to take the good with the bad. I would just like to mention that in Brady postgame video on the Pats website when asked if he thought the fans enjoyed the game he said I think so, that WAVE went on for about 10 minutes, you don't see that in the States. So even he noticed and thought it was great!! :D

Again you can't please all the people all the time and opinions are like a*******, everybodys got one!

I agree some of the weekend could have run more smoothly, the points have already been raised by others. All the hard work put in by the UK Patriots helped make it memorable - couldn't imagine seeing the owner and one of the greatest players the night before a soccer game.

Getting together with so many Pats fans and meeting a lot of UK Pats topped of with my 1st live NFL game made if a weekend to remember.

Guest Keithj

Everything was never going to work when an group of amateurs - meaning no disrespect - organised a series of things, all the more praiseworthy for the recipients of their largesse being people they'd mostly never met. The Sports Café was, paradoxically, my high point and low point of the weekend. It was great to be amongst so many other fans and the be able to talk for some time to the legend that is John Smith, whose surprise and delight at the whole shooting match was clear to see. I had a quick chat with Brian Lowe as we arrived, too, and he was all smiles. The low points were the cramped design of the place that meant two thirds of people couldn't see the stage or get close to it even if they wanted to and the brief time the special guests stayed. None of the low points were in the control of the UK Patriots team, though.

But just let's pause for a moment and think how much worse off the Bucs' fans were. I doubt that any Pats fan had a bad time because we were made to feel so very welcome at every turn. Whether it was the team or BucPower that dropped the ball, their fans got sweet FA. We're nit-picking. They should be downright angry.

Keith

Great post Waspie - I agree with most of what you say. But - at the end of the day - it was a great week-end. Let's not lose sight of that. You mods did a fantastic job - absolutely brilliant. Rest assured that the vast majority of members on this site fully recognise and are very appreciative of that.

Graham, I agree with your comment on the lack of appreciation for Ade and James for all their hard work and how Chris wasn't invited up to meet Bob Kraft or even mentioned was simply staggering.

I made the same comments during the party and am very disappointed with the overall speech by Bob Kraft that really didn't acknowledge UK Patriots at all.

One other thing which we have avoided mentioning to date but nearly wrecked the night for some of us was the Neanderthal Patriots security guy who was the nastiest, bigheaded, aggressive piece of shit I have ever come across, you would think the Patriots would have got someone with a little class at the event instead we got some bald psychopath.... just poor.

It is interesting to read the comments on here. This was a weekend of firsts for me and I'm happy to take the good with the bad. At the saturday night party I took a seat in the room upstairs. This in hindsight wasn't the best option, some weird audio being played which didn't relate to what was on the screens and meant that the raffle and guests spechees were drowned out. I could blame this in the venue or organisation but in reality I could have got off my ass and moved down stairs if I had wanted but instead chose to stay put. We got to have a chat with some great pats fans from Boston and had a conversation with Mike Reiss about the merits of a London franchise. Mike seemed genuinely interested in hearing our opinions and god is he short!

My only regret is I'm quite a shy person by nature and that stopped me from being more proactive in meeting some of the UKPatriots. Never mind - maybe next time!

The game itself was awesome but I was 4 rows from the back and bar a few bostonian pats fans in the back row there weren't many genuine pats fans around (a lot of no12 jerseys waving bucs flags!! what is that about? :o ) I think some of the atmoshpere was lost up there in the gods.

All in all the weekend was an amazing experience and has made me all the more detetmined to make it to Foxboro in the next year or two. Only then can I compare my Wembley experience.

I'm eternally grateful to the UKPatriots for the effort that went in to making the event on saturday happen. There are memories stored for keeps. Thanks guys.

Does anyone else have a sad sense of loss that its all over!!??

Ms. Brady, I too and quite a shy person, and to be honest I only spoke to about 3 maybe 4 Uk Pats guys in the Sports Cafe.

What my opening line was I couldn't tell you, but it was to Fulham Patriot, who then introduced me to Andy Wales and someone else that I can't even remember (sorry).

I just got too caught up with excitement at being there and meeting everyone that I didn't really know what to say.

Then of course I saw who I thought was Jaco and it turned out to be Chelseafan71.

Next time I doubt I will be so shy.

I have a sense of loss that it's over, however it has made me more determined to get to a home game, and soon.

If I could not bother about work I would be off for the Fins game in a flash.

That is the next item on my bucket list, after one of the others was scored off on Sunday night.

See the Pats live.

Ms. Brady, I too and quite a shy person, and to be honest I only spoke to about 3 maybe 4 Uk Pats guys in the Sports Cafe.

What my opening line was I couldn't tell you, but it was to Fulham Patriot, who then introduced me to Andy Wales and someone else that I can't even remember (sorry).

I just got too caught up with excitement at being there and meeting everyone that I didn't really know what to say.

Then of course I saw who I thought was Jaco and it turned out to be Chelseafan71.

I have a sense of loss that it's over, however it has made me more determined to get to a home game, and soon.

That is the next item on my bucket list, after one of the others was scored off on Sunday night.

Shyness is a total curse! I saw quite a few I recognised, hull patriot, secret seagull, james but I didn't approach anyone. I should have put a picture on mugshots and that might have made it a bit easier. I will need to have a few more drinks next time, then just try and stop me!! :o:D

Ratser, it was good to meet you mate, hope my comments about your Lady's lovely hair colour weren't too embarrassing, if so apologies. :blush:

What a superb weekend , The bash at the sports cafe was great I hope the guys from the Uk Patriots who organised it don't get to down from some of the negative things about it.

I had a great time shaking hands with Robert Kraft and Troy Brown and getting photos taken and meeting the legendary John Smith and Fred Kirsch and Paul Perillo from PFW and also celebrity Pats fan Jon from Big Brother and Brainiac fame!

I talked to a couple of guys from the UK Pats but it was such a manic occasion I could see you guys had a lot to organise.

On the topic of the venue etc ok It isn't the best designed venue but this was a one off thing you only learn from experience such as the NFL UK have with their tailgate.

The buzz before and after Troy and Robert appeared was incredible I have some footage on my camera of the "one Troy Brown" song i'll try and upload it maybe to you tube or something.

Gameday was incredible as well I kept saying to my mate as I sat on the front row by the 10 yard line that this is like a dream i'll wake up in a minute , having a great vantage point I took a ton of photos will try and upload them somewhere for everyone to enjoy,especially the cheerleaders!

Walking up Wembley Way I saw the crew getting ready to film Patriots all access ,Steve Burton,Paul Perillo and B-Lowe from patriots Today I had a photo with B-Lowe and he was a gentleman and seemed pleased to speak to a Patriots fan who is a Londoner and that recognised him!

My friend a Seattle fan had a result as we walked past the Club VIP section we bumped into none other than Mike Holmgren and had a chat and photo, he wished he asked him why he always called a draw on 3rd and 16 !

One perhaps negative thing I had on the day was, I said to my mate on seeing all the Pats jerseys before the game that this will be like a Pats home game and that we will drown them out when they are on offense, but that didn't really happen especially where I was sitting, in fact when Merriweather got his pick 6 I was the only one jumping around like a nutter!.

On some occasions I saw fans wearing a Brady jersey waving a Tampa flag work that one out?

All in all it was a once in a lifetime weekend, thanks to everyone who organised it , you did a great job

What a superb weekend , The bash at the sports cafe was great I hope the guys from the Uk Patriots who organised it don't get to down from some of the negative things about it.

Not at all. We discounted the SC as a venue right at the outset because of the split level, but our hands were tied on this one I'm afraid. James spent weeks with event companies, and went through at least 20-30 alternatives. However, had we gone ahead with our plans in the summer, there was a risk that the Patriots would organise their own "rally" anyway, leaving us with a very large empty hall. So no, I don't think anyone will be down. Quite the opposite .. the overwhelming number of positive comments are quite outstanding.

Not at all. We discounted the SC as a venue right at the outset because of the split level, but our hands were tied on this one I'm afraid. James spent weeks with event companies, and went through at least 20-30 alternatives. However, had we gone ahead with our plans in the summer, there was a risk that the Patriots would organise their own "rally" anyway, leaving us with a very large empty hall. So no, I don't think anyone will be down. Quite the opposite .. the overwhelming number of positive comments are quite outstanding.

Nice one Secret Seagull, Great job mate. A never to be forgotten night and weekend.

Can't say I agree with all the comments posted but that is the great thing about a forum (or meant to be)...diverse opinions!! I don't have such a negative view of the NFL in the UK. I went to the first game at Wembley 2 years ago and really enjoyed the day even though it was the Fins v Giants. I also think the crowd there for the most part was knowledgeable about the game..You are always going to get the corporates at any event that doesn't really give a sh1t about the game and are there for the freebies.

The way I look at it 80,000 plus people have so far voted to watch this each year and that is their prerogative to do so if it is offered by the NFL which until it starts losing money on the game will continue to do so. It also allows people in the UK to get a taste for the NFL which can only be a good thing, and offers the hardened fan the chance to get their yearly fix which I know many fans (regardless of team) do. It is not always easy or practical for some families to swan off to the States to watch a game (or get tickets in some cases) which can be very expensive compared to Wembley and those of us that have done it or can do it should see it as a real treat in our lives. I know I do when I make the trip to Foxboro. However I can also see why its not for eveyone, and as I said that the beauty of differing opnions.

That said, I do agree with two things Waspie said...Firstly, it was disgraceful not to even say thank you to the Fan Club and in particular the organisers of the night for helping to put on such an event for not only us but the travelling American contingent. It seems to be a feature of modern sport that the fans are the ones who should be "eternally grateful" for any glimpse or sight of their heroes. It is just a common courtesy to do this and was badly overlooked not so much by Bob Kraft who tbh probably has a lot of things on his plate the night before a game and may have genuinely forgot, but just the Patriots organisation in general. You guys who did all this, James, Ade et al you know we are truly eternally grateful for your efforts.

Secondly, I also think Twickenham would be a better venue as Wembley does lack certain things that would make it a better experience. However I can fully see why the marketing guys choose Wembley as its benefits to them are obvious. Hopefully they will give another venue a chance if this tradition continues.

On a personal level I had a great time Saturday night and like others I just didn’t meet enough people. To those of you I did say hi to, I hope to see you again, and those of you who I managed to avoid even though I camped myself amongst you, hopefully I will get the chance again. I only landed that afternoon and tbh got hammered and tired pretty quickly. Heck I didn’t even find Mike Reiss even though that was on the agenda for me. :huh: I had hoped to make the Green Man on the Sunday but the family were all recovering from heavy colds so I thought it best to arrive just for the game. By the sounds of the queues I didn’t miss much though would like to have met a few more of you before I head back to Singapore.

It was a great weekend on the whole and we should not lose sight of that or the fact that we will probably never see it’s like again in the UK (hence my decision to fly all the way back for it instead of a road trip in December). We should all be proud of the support that we showed as a group. Well done to one and all :D

Cheers,

HL

That said, I do agree with two things Waspie said...Firstly, it was disgraceful not to even say thank you to the Fan Club and in particular the organisers of the night for helping to put on such an event for not only us but the travelling American contingent. It seems to be a feature of modern sport that the fans are the ones who should be "eternally grateful" for any glimpse or sight of their heroes. It is just a common courtesy to do this and was badly overlooked not so much by Bob Kraft who tbh probably has a lot of things on his plate the night before a game and may have genuinely forgot, but just the Patriots organisation in general. You guys who did all this, James, Ade et al you know we are truly eternally grateful for your efforts

Agree , hopefully there will be some kind of formal thank you starting today with the PFW in Progress show , i'm sure fred appreciates it anyway he is always quick to give credit.

One thing I have to ask; when they played "God Save the Queen", were they referring to Elton John?

Agree , hopefully there will be some kind of formal thank you starting today with the PFW in Progress show , i'm sure fred appreciates it anyway he is always quick to give credit.

I'm so grateful for everyone's kind words and am not down at all, it was done with and for everyone connected with the UKPatriots.

I really want to say thank you to everyone who helped with the organisation of everything from the start with their thoughts on the proposed venues, the calming words when I was getting stressed including, of course, Ade - who on top of all his other hard work with the tickets was a real star in getting the party sorted.

Fred has sent a thank you email and the official Patriots twitter account have 'tweeted' a thankyou to the UKPatriots.

The Patriots organisation proved how classy they are with what they did for us. They gave us everything we asked for and more.

Go Pats! Go UKPatriots!

I'm so grateful for everyone's kind words and am not down at all, it was done with and for everyone connected with the UKPatriots.

I really want to say thank you to everyone who helped with the organisation of everything from the start with their thoughts on the proposed venues, the calming words when I was getting stressed including, of course, Ade - who on top of all his other hard work with the tickets was a real star in getting the party sorted.

Fred has sent a thank you email and the official Patriots twitter account have 'tweeted' a thankyou to the UKPatriots.

The Patriots organisation proved how classy they are with what they did for us. They gave us everything we asked for and more.

Go Pats! Go UKPatriots!

It's always said that the Pats are so successful because of the quality of people running things on and off the field. Its quite apt therefore that our forum benefits in the same way. Thanks guys.

Go Pats! Go UKPatriots!

Thank you very much James for coordinating everything and thank you very much to the others who've help make it a memorable evening.

Who gave Dan that large wooden spoon? :)

Keith

I'm afraid I don't get the "wooden spoon" reference.

I'd like to thank everyone behind making last weekend such a success.

I only managed to get to the game and brief stops at the Green Man and official tailgate (which I thought was a huge disappointment, although that might have been because I got there so late). I was working on Saturday so couldn't get to the party, but it's good to know that so many people had such a great time.

The negative comments seem so few and far between, so nobody should be too disappointed by them as, after all, the whole weekend - flag football, party and even the GBTP were organised by a bunch of talented and dedicated amateurs trying to show that we care about the game and traditions of a sport that is played, at any decent standard, by one nation and that baffles the uninitiated with endless jargon and sometimes ridiculous statistics but still calls its best team the "World Champions" :D

Ok, we've got a long way to go, but the people of this site and UK fans nationwide should be proud of the success these weekends are becoming.

My thoughts on a weekend to remember.

Arrived in time to put a lot of faces to names prior to the flag game in Richmond Park. I wanted to get down the smoke in time for this as I knew a lot of the long serving board members would be there. Got to meet the guys I've been agreeing with, arguing with and jousting with in fantasy games over the past few years. Added bonuses were the lovely cheerleaders (especially when they had no qualms about having their photo taken with a big old ape like me) and being encouraged to play a couple of snaps on D against the Buc Power "ringers" even though it was obvious that if we were gonna turn the game around then we really needed our best players in all the time. Thanks guys ;)

After a u-turn filled journey to drop some of the guys at Barnes station (eventually found it down a leafy little lane) endured an hour long stop/start drive to the digs at the Green Man. A quick turn around ensued before meeting LuckyTucker, HullPatriot101 and his mate, the jammy Giants fan, Gareth in the bar for a swift 'un while waiting for the minicab (30 mins late) to arrive. Another hour long journey to the Sports Cafe followed.

The Sports Cafe do was fine really, as a few have said before a more open-plan venue would have been better suited but I suppose if you want the bigwigs to show you have it somewhere they're able and willing to get to. It was a good night and to see the smile on Stumaloo's face when he won the big one was worth the price of admission (sic) alone. As the passive Welshman pointed out earlier the only thing that took a slight shine off of things was that bloody Patriots security jobsworth who upset several harmless folk, myself included. If I was twenty years younger I'd have taken him outside and resurfaced the Haymarket with him, the obnoxious little slaphead :angry:

Another cock-up on the cab front meant that the Green Man crew's plan for a few brews back at the digs fell through. After an hour long wait for a minicab we'd phoned at just after 10 we decided to hail a black cab at 11.15 and sod the expense (and let me tell you that was a big decision for 4 Yorkshiremen and a Scotsman :lol: ). Think the Green Man bar was still open when we finally got there but we were exhausted to a man and I'm pretty sure we all hit the sack.

Game day morning arrived and I spent some time hanging with and chatting to various UK Pats before heading to Cafe 2000 for a brunchtime rendezvous with that fat bloke off the telly. Back up "that bloody hill" to the Green Man which by now was heaving. Chatted with an ever growing contingent of UK Pats from both sides of the pond and a cantankerous old git from Spain whose name escapes me (only kidding Teddy baby). Nice to find out that I'm only the 2nd biggest UK Patriot, Waspie takes those honours :D

On to the game itself. My first time at either Wembley and I've gotta say it's pretty impressive. One thought struck me though. Why is it ok for women to use men's toilets at gigs yet I didn't see one bloke dare to enter the ladies at Wembley despite the horrendous queues! The game itself was a bit of a lacklustre affair if truth be told. I was sat next to Swindon and when we went 14-0 up I said to him there's no way we lose this now as there's no way the Buccs will score 14 points. Mind you the Pats D needs to stop getting teams into 3rd and long situations and then giving up 20+ yard plays. Still it was great to see our heroes in the flesh and cheer WWW as he racked up those fantasy points for me eh Chris :P

Spent half an hour after the game exploring every possible eatery at the bottom of Wembley Hill Road before plumping for an Indian restaurant. We sat, we waited, we got ignored. We decided to leave and ended up having a very nice donner kebab from the American Grill just across the road. Back up "that bloody hill" for a few post game pints at the Green Man where I had the unenviable pleasure of meeting the gobshite who is NEArmy :lol: Jeez that bloke can rattle for England wish I could have gotten my hands on whatever he was on :o

LuckyTucker (Symon), HullPatriot101 (Dwayne) and me were the last men standing at the Green Man when the staff switched the outside lights off at a little past midnight. Climbed the wooden hill to my room just in time to see Merriweather make the pick 6 on the BBC highlights show. Watched the rest of that and then hit the hay to enjoy sweet dreams of a sweeeeeeeet weekend :D

Thanks to everyone (except that psycho security guy) for making it a very special weekend ;)

Ooops! My thoughts seem to have turned into a diary blog. But what the heck I can always revisit this post when my memories start to fade. That happens at my age you know :)

P.S. I've just found out that the most emoticons you can add to a post on here is 10. I'd used about 17 I think so had to go about reducing them before my post was accepted ;-) Can't stop me doing that though or this :-)

Guest ruth spinney

All that I have to say is that Sunday was brilliant, and that was purely down to the UKPatriots. For me especially that meant Mandy (Mrs Laz), Papa Lazarou and SS and everyone else in our block at Wembley who made me feel really welcome and part of this great fanclub. Due to hen parties, broken down trains and engineering works I could only make it to the game, and missed what sounded like a fun-packed weekend prior to it. Again all of this was down to the Mods on here, and I was disgusted to hear that someone repayed all their effort by stealing the flags and defacing the shirt.

So, before I go completely over the top I do have one downside to the weekend: the idiot who decided to burn some toast in my hotel at 7.30am Monday and setting the fire alarms off!!!! That was a very rude awakening after I stayed up to watch another Giants defeat :D (although didn't that score just round off Sunday perfectly?!) but the 100 or so people standing around a chilly London square in their pjs didn't look to impressed!

Right, that about covers everything I want to say, so I'm now off to donate some money to the UKPatriots that can be put towards a new flag (and also in recompense to Mandy and SS who I never got to buy a drink for on the day!). Hopefully I will be able to travel with it on a roadtrip in the near future.

Thank you to everyone who made this so special - including those who thought up the great chants! If Mrs. Belichick enjoyed them they must have been right ;)

All that I have to say is that Sunday was brilliant, and that was purely down to the UKPatriots. For me especially that meant Mandy (Mrs Laz), Papa Lazarou and SS and everyone else in our block at Wembley who made me feel really welcome and part of this great fanclub. Due to hen parties, broken down trains and engineering works I could only make it to the game, and missed what sounded like a fun-packed weekend prior to it. Again all of this was down to the Mods on here, and I was disgusted to hear that someone repayed all their effort by stealing the flags and defacing the shirt.

So, before I go completely over the top I do have one downside to the weekend: the idiot who decided to burn some toast in my hotel at 7.30am Monday and setting the fire alarms off!!!! That was a very rude awakening after I stayed up to watch another Giants defeat :D (although didn't that score just round off Sunday perfectly?!) but the 100 or so people standing around a chilly London square in their pjs didn't look to impressed!

Right, that about covers everything I want to say, so I'm now off to donate some money to the UKPatriots that can be put towards a new flag (and also in recompense to Mandy and SS who I never got to buy a drink for on the day!). Hopefully I will be able to travel with it on a roadtrip in the near future.

Thank you to everyone who made this so special - including those who thought up the great chants! If Mrs. Belichick enjoyed them they must have been right ;)

Ruth, it was lovely to meet you too and to watch the game with someone who shares my Wes Welker obsessions! (Danny also shares them but it's really not the same, whatever Danny says!!!).

The ticket-as-belated-wedding-gift was the least we could do for these very lovely friends - to see them enjoy the weekend as much as they did is thanks enough.

The ups and downs of the weekend have been discussed at length now so I wont add to those. I will just say that it was overall a fantastic experience to spend such a memorable time with old friends and new and something that we will never forget. I feel very lucky and happy to be part of this community.

Dont agree with the comments on the chants though, SugarBearAndy :D I would concur that they might be out of place at Gillette but thought they perfectly captured the spirit and essence of this one-off game in London. This was a merging of sports and cultures and was so obviously acknowledged and enjoyed by the largely US contingent sitting around us...... the chants will remain one of the abiding and most fun memories of this weekend, not only for us but I am sure for them too!

Altogether now - "It's a long way back to Tampa when you suck....."

:P

I have to agree with just about everything you wrote the other day Graham. I had a brilliant weekend (albeit not involved with the UK Patriots events which sound like they were great fun and very well organised. We had already planned to meet up with friends and do something else). You rightly highlighted some negatives that are bound to make the NFL think long and hard about having International Series games here in the future and the suitability of Wembley as a venue. It would have been nice if Wilfork had been spelt correctly in the programme too.

What has really annoyed me is the patronising reportage of the weekend's event by journos in the US and the dribble of coverage in the UK media. I was moved to write a retaliatory comment in response to Dan Shaughnessy on the Globe's website (writing as NorthantsPatsFan). Everyone around me in the stadium knew what was going on. The reason why the already-converted filled the stadium is that the tickets had been snapped up before people who might be curious to sample the game knew it was being held and could buy tickets. I think the UK marketing of the game could have been a great deal better. Nearly all the coverage focuses on the Buccs cheerleaders, instead of showing more clips of the greatest hits, greatest plays etc. But of course there may have been more interest if the Buccs had started the season with some wins.

The wife and I don't have any interest in supporting a London based franchise. My team is the Pats and that won't change and for her sins the wife will continue the self inflicted punishment that is supporting the Dolphins. A lot of what makes football special could be lost if a UK franchise was formed. Football fans here are very unlikely to give up their team to support a new one closer to home.

There will be something more special and exciting about pitching up in Foxboro to watch my team every so often - enjoying the occasion the US way and getting something out of an experience that simply cannot be replicated here - than hankering for the team to come back to Wembley. in between I will continue to enjoy watching matches on Sky, watching our games on the NFL site play by play and perhaps even getting half decent coverage on Game Pass. That will do for me until I do next season's roadtrip.

Although I've been low profile on here, I'm also willing to help out with the UK Patriots' events here, so perhaps the relevent chaps, could message me if they want an extra pair of hands?

Ratser, it was good to meet you mate, hope my comments about your Lady's lovely hair colour weren't too embarrassing, if so apologies. :blush:

Hey Andy no problem mate, and good to meet you too.

I have been calling her 'Red' ever since. :lol:

First time back on 'the net' since the weekend and I'm still buzzing from it!! What a great weekend! :D:D

Thanks to all the Mods for arranging the party on the Saturday. We really enjoyed it and seeing Bob Kraft and especially the Cheerleaders (!) in person was a treat. It's a real shame to hear about the problems that happened on the night. I hope everyone involved can get past the idiots and know that the real members of UKPats are very grateful to them for organising the event.

It was also good to see so many UK Pats at GBTP (Green Man) on the Sunday.

GO PATS!!

Had the Patriots front office been willing to work more closely with us, the event would have been held somewhere where everyone could have seen our guests (and it would have been nice to have known in advance who was coming). I may be speaking out of turn here, but I was disgusted that the UK Patriots who put in most work were not afforded access to the VIP area, that Robert Kraft did not name check the fan club...

I'd just like to come back on this. A few of us had the impression that considerable drink had been taken by at least one of the guests. My point about a seated reception for the owner was made for two reasons. First that it would allow everyone who wanted to to see him, second that it would encourage both parties to treat the occasion with more composure.

In case anyone gets on their high horse, I will state clearly what I think of Robert Kraft. He is one of the best, if not the best, owner in the NFL. He is hands on without being Al Davis, can put money in when needed, makes himself available to the fans and has a good reputation within the NFL. In the years between Billy Sullivan and RK some of the above attributes were missing. In fact even Sullivan was short of cash, otherwise the club would probably still be in Sullivan family hands now.

The making himself available to the fans bit (including UK patriots fans) perhaps gives rise to another problem. If arrangements are made, assurances given etc. directly by the owner, the front office is bypassed from the point of view of decision making and becomes merely a secretariat. All very well, but this might cause problems further down the line when RK is not available and you are obliged to deal with a member of the front office (who may be oppositional due to the perceived slight of having been bypassed earlier). Not saying that any of this happened in the case of the preparations for the London game, just a thought.

On the question of the member of security staff, I would recommend that all those personally affected (and all witnesses) write individually to RK. I would expect that within a week or so the individual will be back to patrolling Walmart.

On the question of the member of security staff, I would recommend that all those personally affected (and all witnesses) write individually to RK. I would expect that within a week or so the individual will be back to patrolling Walmart.

Walmart would way too testing for that moron. :angry:

I'd just like to come back on this. A few of us had the impression that considerable drink had been taken by at least one of the guests. My point about a seated reception for the owner was made for two reasons. First that it would allow everyone who wanted to to see him, second that it would encourage both parties to treat the occasion with more composure.

Considering that I was stone cold sober (for those of you who know me from nights before road trip games, a strange state of affairs on a Saturday night, I know), it's probably that I was only so pumped up in adrenalin that I missed it.

But again, you make a good point, had we known who was coming, and when, I think we could have made a serious effort to clear the stage. But having been in precisely the wrong place for Kraft's speech, I have no regrets at being part of the group that stormed the stage for Troy Brown. The look on his face when "There's only one Troy Brown" struck up was priceless - confusion, terror and pride!

Great to see Troy show up, along with Bob, Gino and Gil. It was a great time, but the party's over and now back to the real world and back to work. Another vacation is needed to get over this one. It was great to see everyone again, looking forward to seeing you again in Dec. ( those that can make it over ). Thank you to all who were involved- James and Ade for all the planning, Mark and Mandy for the game ticket, and Andy and Pam for the ticket, accomodations, and British Isles tour. Also Kirk the Beer Master for the Green Man navigational skills. Lauren and I had a fantastic time!!

Ed

Great to see Troy show up, along with Bob, Gino and Gil. It was a great time, but the party's over and now back to the real world and back to work. Another vacation is needed to get over this one. It was great to see everyone again, looking forward to seeing you again in Dec. ( those that can make it over ). Thank you to all who were involved- James and Ade for all the planning, Mark and Mandy for the game ticket, and Andy and Pam for the ticket, accomodations, and British Isles tour. Also Kirk the Beer Master for the Green Man navigational skills. Lauren and I had a fantastic time!!

Ed

And it means we've both been to Patriots games on our honeymoons :)

I'm in the pro-chant camp, providing they are clean (which they were). They certainly entertained the Maroney clan. Bit depressing to realise Danny and Damo didnt recognise the chim-chimernee tune from Mary Poppins cos they're too young tho'!

Cheers to Ade, James and the rest of you for organising the tickets and the rest of your hard work. It's a shame to hear that the Pats dictated the venue for the Saturday night (which ran out of food pretty quickly- embarrassing when you have been waiting in the queue with some guys from Plymouth, MA, and an Austrian guy, for nearly half an hour) and didn't acknowledge you. I noticed that as well and was pissed off. You guys deserve better than that.

Hello to Dave (Dave45) and his son Steve, Sam and her husband, Chris (Bristol Pat, who got me tickets for the first NFL game), Stu (although he owes either Chris or me that prize, cos WE told him about UKpatriots :angry::P ), Warren and the others. You all helped to make the weekend a great experience for me and Her Highness.

I agree with Graham that Twickenham would make a much better venue. For one, the stadium has a better atmosphere and also Twickenham (and its neighbour Richmond) have much better pubs.

Just returned home last night from an incredible once in a lifetime week in London. First I would like to compliment all people from England,with the exception of one cranky bus driver for being so helpful to us. We would be standing looking at our map,when people would willingfully come up to us and offer directions. We even tagged along with some fans on the way to the Green Man. The night before party was incredible, and we spent most of the night with 2 fans from Scotland. Thanks to James and Ade for organizing the party, and James the Tshirts are incredible. Being at Wembley, was an experience my husband and I will never forget. Even getting back to the Tube was a great experience,but actually was better then trying to get out of Gillette after a game. I would have to say that this was the best vacation ever.

I've already posted this item on the Mods forum, but I felt I should post it here as well.

I’d also like to add my thanks, to those that have already been expressed.

First though, the greatest thanks of all, must go to Chris, for the creation of the UKPatriots forum, which has been instrumental in bringing us as fans of the New England Patriots together!

Thanks must also go to everyone who went the extra mile, to make the weekend the success that it was.

Special thanks to Ade and James, for all the effort you put in over the many weeks prior to the game and for all the stress and aggravation you both put up with during that period.

Thanks go to Kirk, for pulling things together for an unforgettable Friday night.

The food might have been slow getting to the table and the beer might not have been flowing quite as it could have done, well certainly not in my case!

Still a bloody good night had by all!!

Thanks also to Damien for putting together a fun Saturday afternoon ‘flag football’ game, an event which, really brought us together as a team of fans, rather than just a group of people with a common interest.

We may have lost the game, but we won the bond of friendship, a far greater prize, in my estimation!

I’d also like to thank my fellow Mods; Mark, Mandy, Andy, Jaco, Paul, Graham and Jay. Each and every one of you played a part in the success of our weekend.

Thanks must also go to ALL the members of the UKPatriots.

My thanks must also go to the Patriots, for their contribution to our weekend. In no particular order; Pat Patriot, the Cheerleaders, Fred Kirsch and the PFW crew, our special surprise Saturday night guests and last but, by no means least, Mr. Bob Kraft, to who we as fans, owe such a lot!

As Tina Turner sang it “Simply the best, better than all the rest.”

I have to end though in saying, for all the fun, the enjoyment and capped by a Patriots win, I left Wembley stadium feeling a little empty, perhaps it was the realisation that nothing like this would ever happen again and that it was very unlikely that I would meet any of you again, a very sad and sobering thought!

Stephanie and I had such an amazing time with everyone... I read on a different thread that one of the UKpatriots forum's concerns was all of us Amerricans joining the board and then disappearing after the game was over... we both feel that we some friends last weekend with a handful of you and I wanted to say that I might not post as diligently as I was leading up to the game, but I dont plan on going anywhere, all of you guys are just so amazing and this is a waaaay better discussion board than some of the American Patriots boards....

so if you guys will have me, I think I'll stick around.