jcuza

International 2010

Great day out, perfect seats 12 rows up from the endzone where most of the scoring took place!

Only problem was after Denver's first score I was in a mood, as I'd gone for some food only to miss Brandon Lloyd's 70-yard gain plus Tebow's score. First decent action of the game and I'd missed it!

I think though the biggest cheer was everytime they went to Arlington watching David Garrard throw another TD against the Cowboys! If Goodell wants to bring them to Wembley, make sure they're the away team! Then you'll get a good "homefield" atmosphere.

Speaking of which, I do disagree about the atmosphere feeling like a "home" game for the first time. I do remember the Saints game and that definitely had the feel that most people were rooting for them. Same with Tampa last year (mainly because everyone hates the Patriots)

Thing is, unless the matchup is an absolute humdinger next year (and judging by who's playing who, that's a long shot) I probably won't go next year. Roadtrip 2011 is the main priority.

I thought the Saints Chargers game had a better atmosphere too, but a lot of people said last year's was better and I've also heard people say this year's was the best. I think one's perspective of it depends entirely on where you're sitting, which surely means that "we" are not nearly as loud as us hardcore fans would wish.

Thing is, unless the matchup is an absolute humdinger next year I probably won't go next year

Yep- I am in the same boat...

& that is why an NFL franchise in the UK will not work long term....

Not nearly enough peeps will pay up the wonga on a regular basis to keep the franchise going...

I won't support the new team- I'm a Pats fan...end of...& unless the Pats are playing, i ain't going....

Yep- I am in the same boat...

& that is why an NFL franchise in the UK will not work long term....

Not nearly enough peeps will pay up the wonga on a regular basis to keep the franchise going...

I won't support the new team- I'm a Pats fan...end of...& unless the Pats are playing, i ain't going....

You're clearly not a typical of UK NFL fans though.

i think you will find that should a new team be formed in the UK it will be the biggest mistake the NFL will make. what they dont realise is that in Europe people follow a team for life. In the USA people follow superstars. A team will never work. they would have to play in a smaller stadium there is no way they could sell out Wembley 8 times a year. i am also sure a player from California would love to uproot there family for what could be a short period of time. also finding a player off the street will need a min of a 6 hour flight. costs will be massive. there is nothing i can see that is positive about a team over here

I am going to agree with the people that have said that a NFL team in the UK is a bad idea. I don't want it to happen and t will fail. It will set the league back years. I certainly wont be going to any of their games. No way will they sell out 8 times a year. All the games will probably be blacked out so no one in the UK will ever get to see these games. Eventually people will just stop caring about this team. That's assuming they ever care about them in the first place.

i think you will find that should a new team be formed in the UK it will be the biggest mistake the NFL will make. what they dont realise is that in Europe people follow a team for life. In the USA people follow superstars. A team will never work. they would have to play in a smaller stadium there is no way they could sell out Wembley 8 times a year. i am also sure a player from California would love to uproot there family for what could be a short period of time. also finding a player off the street will need a min of a 6 hour flight. costs will be massive. there is nothing i can see that is positive about a team over here

Wow, quite some negativity here, this point of view seems a bit short sighted. I'm not saying a franchise here would be guaranteed to work, but it certainly has a shot. The game is building momentum here.

Would it be the biggest mistake the NFL will ever make? How can it be? If they do it and it's a failure, how bad will it be for the NFL? Will it cost them a lot of money? Nothing they can't afford, and they will have made the investment knowing the risks, but also the potential return. I think messing up the CBA negotiations for example could be the biggest mistake, since it risks ruining all the positive momentum built with the NFL over the last 20 years. But trying a franchise in London and it not working? No.

The argument that people in Europe follow a team for life (even if it's true, which is debatable) is also a reason why a franchise could work. Once the team generates the interest - perhaps over a four year build up timeframe? - then I think people will stick with it and allow it the chance to build. When I was sat in Wembley a few weeks back, it really struck me what a hostile environment for opposing teams Wembley could become with a London franchise. The travelling team has a long way to come; the British fans could develop all kinds of crowd traditions, chants etc. that could really make a game come alive. If it's a good experience, people will come and watch it (even though prices of £60 - £100 would be too much). And there will be the Olympic stadium that could be considered if they want a smaller venue, though if it was me I'd go for Wembley every time. If 80,000 fans were all cheering for the same team, that would be some show. Bring it on!

As for players uprooting their families? Two comments: firstly, NFL players will do almost anything for money. If they're being paid, they'll move. Secondly, players don't uproot their families every time they change team either, even just in the US. This isn't a reason why it won't work. There are enough players out there who would be happy to live in the UK for a chance to build their reputation etc.

Finding a player off the street? Well they're not going to find any in London so why not have your scouting set up based in the US anyway? So then it's just like any other team, perhaps slightly more expensive? Game tape and conference calls would work, perphaps not always 100% effectively, but it's not a reason this isn't going to work full stop. Head Coach and the full team could spend the offseason in the US, returning to the UK for training camp? Why not?

"There is nothing that I can see that is positive about a team over here". Really? I think it would be fantastic. If you can put a franchise in Jacksonville, or Buffalo, you can put one in London. I'm not overlooking the challenges, culturally and financially, and there are many, but it's far from impossible. I'd say there's a material chance it happens before 2020. The NFL and its players are driven by one thing - money - and there's money in a team in London. If it happened, I'd seriously think about buying a season ticket. 8 games of NFL a season on my doorstep? Yes please. And I'd be prepared to bet there are at least 50,000 people in London, many of whom don't follow a team in the NFL right now, who could be persuaded to do the same over the next 8 years or so.

That's assuming they ever care about them in the first place.

I mean, come on - with respect, this is coming from someone who seems to support three soccer teams. It's really not beyond the realms of possibility to see the games selling out, even based on NFL fans who also follow other teams.

when we were at the PFW show we spoke to Erik about this. we all agreed that it wouldnt work. it would also cost $500m to put in place. where are you gonna get this in the UK we cant even find someone to buy our football clubs. they would have to bring down the ticket prices i live not far from wembley but bet its not cheap to come down for 1 game let alone 5-6. i wont go to another game unless the patriots are playing. would rather save toward another RT. if the NFL do this i cant think of any league that has added a team from such distances.

If 80,000 fans were all cheering for the same team, that would be some show. Bring it on!

You really think anyone will root for the London team. I certainly wont. Surely if you already have a team, then that's the team you will root for. And to buy season tickets for this team. Wouldn't that mean you would be missing a large amount of your own teams games. Are you saying you would just abandon your team to support this London team? I know for a fact that I wouldn't.

I mean, come on - with respect, this is coming from someone who seems to support three soccer teams. It's really not beyond the realms of possibility to see the games selling out, even based on NFL fans who also follow other teams.

There is a huge difference. I support 3 teams who all play in 3 different leagues. I would never root for another team that plays in the same league as these teams.

You really think anyone will root for the London team. I certainly wont. Surely if you already have a team, then that's the team you will root for. And to buy season tickets for this team. Wouldn't that mean you would be missing a large amount of your own teams games. Are you saying you would just abandon your team to support this London team? I know for a fact that I wouldn't.

There is a huge difference. I support 3 teams who all play in 3 different leagues. I would never root for another team that plays in the same league as these teams.

Of course, why not? It's an exciting idea, it's never been done before, I can easily see 50,000 people getting behind it. It will need to be done in the right way, but I'm not ready to rule it out.

I watch the Pats on Gamepass, so for example I didn't watch the Pats / Vikes game until Monday. This isn't a problem for me. I don't live in Boston, so I can't watch them live every home game anyway. So if I had the chance to watch 8 NFL games a year at Wembley, and follow the Pats in the same way I do right now, why not? It would become more difficult if a London franchise was in the AFC East, for sure. But hey, that would guarantee the Pats in London once a year, plus a chance to support against the Jets, Dolphins and Bills once a year. It's not all bad. But in this situation, I probably wouldn't buy a season ticket. I'd still go to at least some of the games though.

London is potentially a massive, massive market. I just don't see it as a foregone conclusion to the negative that the demand won't be there, if it's handled in the right way. They'll need to invest, for sure, but the returns are there.

And as for the Rangers, Chelsea, Real Madrid thing... aren't they all in the Champions League? What happens when they play each other then? They must play each other sometimes, right, or at least there's a chance they do?

What if the London franchise was in the NFC? Is that a massive issue for AFC team fans? We only play each NFC team once every four years anyway, or in the Superbowl. So how tough really is the conflict? Likewise for fans of NFC teams, if the London franchise was in the AFC, would it really be a total conflict? I don't think so. Granted there will be times when it will impact fans of existing teams, but it's not that often. All you need is a core demand, plus a few years to build interest from new fans of the NFL who don't yet support teams in the US. It's doable in my view.

Many people don't have a team.

Many people might take an interest in the sport for the first time because we'd have a team.

Many people would support a second team.

Many people would go to game(s) for the event without any real passion for the sport.

Many people would go as a fan of the opponent.

Many fans would go to the odd game even though they don't support the London franchise.

As for missing games - the Raiders have been on tv once this season. That's more than some teams at all. So you're not exactly missing seeing your own team.

It's not like expansion franchises are anything new to American sport. They know what happens.

40,000 to 80,000 crowds depending on how good the team is. Pretty much like most NFL franchises.

BTW - and this isn't a dig, it's a genuine query - who do you support when Rangers/Chelsea/Real clash in the UCL?

I never miss a Pats game. I watch every game live. I always find a way to see every game I can and I watch them all live. It kills me when there is a Pats game on and I am not able to see it. If I went to Wembley, which wont happen cos it would cost an absolute fortune and that is money I don't have, then I would miss a lot of Pats games. And that is unacceptable to me.

BTW - and this isn't a dig, it's a genuine query - who do you support when Rangers/Chelsea/Real clash in the UCL?

The soccer teams in my sig are listed in order of preference.

If I might be brave enough to say, the one disappointment for me from hearing the PFW show, was the somewhat negative attitude towards the Wembley game. Sure we're all Pats fans first and would rather be watching them in Boston than two uninspiring teams in London, but to dismiss the Wembley game as of no interest, and to say that there wasn't much pre-game excitement, was a bit of a shame and a little misleading.

There was a lot of excitement, in the printed press, on the TV, on NFLUK and on the streets of London. It's unfair to say otherwise from 3000 miles away if you don't see all that. I know that everyone on the RT was fully focused on the Vikes game (and the Celtics and Bruins), and you weren't thinking about Wembley, but you can't deny what a great occasion the annual game in North London is.

Five years ago we would never have believed it possible. Now we've had 4 regular season games and seen a quarter of the NFL franchises, including our beloved Patriots. To say that we have no interest in it to our American friends is like saying that we don't care for the rest of their game, and don't want them bringing it over here. I know that is not true of anybody here, including the 'trippers.

Maybe someone should have pointed out on the PFW show that the sell-out NFL game between two uninspiring teams would draw in 10,500 more fans (83,941) than the national football team's top of the table World Cup qualifier a couple of weeks earlier (73,451).

Anything that brings NFL to our shores and gives more fans a chance to experience what we all have, has to be a good thing and should be encouraged. Then maybe one day we'll be able to do even better than we did at the Sports Cafe.

If I might be brave enough to say, the one disappointment for me from hearing the PFW show, was the somewhat negative attitude towards the Wembley game. Sure we're all Pats fans first and would rather be watching them in Boston than two uninspiring teams in London, but to dismiss the Wembley game as of no interest, and to say that there wasn't much pre-game excitement, was a bit of a shame and a little misleading.

There was a lot of excitement, in the printed press, on the TV, on NFLUK and on the streets of London. It's unfair to say otherwise from 3000 miles away if you don't see all that. I know that everyone on the RT was fully focused on the Vikes game (and the Celtics and Bruins), and you weren't thinking about Wembley, but you can't deny what a great occasion the annual game in North London is.

Five years ago we would never have believed it possible. Now we've had 4 regular season games and seen a quarter of the NFL franchises, including our beloved Patriots. To say that we have no interest in it to our American friends is like saying that we don't care for the rest of their game, and don't want them bringing it over here. I know that is not true of anybody here, including the 'trippers.

Maybe someone should have pointed out on the PFW show that the sell-out NFL game between two uninspiring teams would draw in 10,500 more fans (83,941) than the national football team's top of the table World Cup qualifier a couple of weeks earlier (73,451).

Anything that brings NFL to our shores and gives more fans a chance to experience what we all have, has to be a good thing and should be encouraged. Then maybe one day we'll be able to do even better than we did at the Sports Cafe.

I did make it very clear that I was only speaking for myself when giving my opinion on this game. And that I was not speaking for anyone else.

On the subject of a UK based team, I would love this to work. There are so many difficulties to overcome which have already been raised that I can't see it happening for a long time, probably not until the NFL is ready to expand to 36 teams (4 overseas) with a 18 game (20 week) season, at the expense of a couple of pre-season games.

If they do ever try to launch a team on our shores, then It doesn't have to be city based team. A UK team, with home games spread between London, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Manchester would be fantastic. It would only be 2-3 games per season in each venue, and I'd certainly go.

I did make it very clear that I was only speaking for myself when giving my opinion on this game. And that I was not speaking for anyone else.

Which is fine, I just think this is an fantastic series that we've been lucky enough to witness, and it's important that people at all levels of the game over there realise how much we appreciate it. This was a chance to tell the listeners how much we love the whole game.

SS - the Trafalgar Square event was a monster success for the sport. I'm fed up of hearing Wilbon and TK on PTI banging on that we're not interested in the sport and don't want the games.

Firstly Aldo gave his opinion which im not gonna give him grief about but my opinion was totally different but i never got the chance as they changed the subject .

I love the Wembley game...the only one i have missed was this year because of the Pats/Vikes game. I will go to ANY NFL International Series game because its NFL and i feel if we dont support it we may eventually lose it and i would have loved to have given that view on the show .

As fas as a London Based team i still dont think it would work long term and if the NFL put in extra teams and this one dies out after 2 or 3 years what then ? I feel if the London team died interest wise we would lose all games and the Inernational series wouldnt come back either so thats a worry for me . Im certain it would pick up fans but it needs at least 50K every two weeks and im not sure if that would sustain for 3+ years . Just my opinion though :)

One should follow two soccer teams max.1) club 2) country

Interesting opinion - and I'll argue the toss with you if someone starts it up in the right place. But please can we stop hijacking NFL threads and discussing the inferior round ball game?

Thank you Graham. Its amazing how many discussions morph into soccer threads, and I know we've lost members because of that in the past (thinking specifically of Rich and Surrey, but I'm sure there's others).

If soccer talk is kept to soccer threads, those of us who choose can happily ignore it ;)

I managed to get two £72.50 tickets for £75 on ebay. Went with the otherhalf (her first game) It was difficult to get her interest with such a poor 1st half.

still with a few more games on tv we might have a convert :D

I didn't manage to get a ticket for the 1st Wembley game, but I did go to the 2nd & not suprisingly the 3rd game. Missed the 4th due to being otherwise engaged on the other side of the pond, but I will continue to go to the Wembley games, as long as they don't coincide with the Roadtrip. It's always been good to be able to watch meaningful, regular season NFL in this country, and I hope they continue to bring at least one, hopefully two games to these shores. These games also serve as a great opportunity to meet up with other members of this forum for a few beers and catch up with things that have happened over the previous 12 months.