Stumaloo

Where Are You Staying For The London Game ?

Having just had an email reminder about Travelodge's Summer Sale (rooms from a tenner, bookings up to the end of August), I'm going to wait a couple of months and see what the Autumn sale throws up.

Slightly off topic here, but what are some of the improvements, changes and additions around town as a result of the Olympics?

In terms of transport, nothing that I know of specifically related to the games, but Transport for London has been adding infrastructure in terms of new lines and refurbishments on the tube for the past decade. Buses are about as good as they can be expected to be. As much as us Londoners like to moan about public transport - it is quite costly - the level of service in terms of moving around central and greater London is comprehensive and quick.

Slightly off topic here, but what are some of the improvements, changes and additions around town as a result of the Olympics?

Erm, more people, the same infrastructure, probably higher costs. I can't say I've noticed any improvements... :P

:blink:

:D :D

London is a little Place in the Antarctic

:lol: :lol:

Im staying in a Hostel for 3 Niights

Are you planing a Fanmeeting before the Game? Cause travelling alone and hope i can meet some Fans :)

Edited by Sunny

I've just booked myself and the girlfriend in at the Hilton Wembley (this is the new one I'm not even sure if it's built and on schedule??) They've just started taking bookings now and I think they are going to open on the 1st October. So I'm booked in there Saturday to Monday. Managed to find a code that gives 40% off and include the breakfast buffet for both guests. £89 a night will do me just fine. Non refundable incase anyone was wondering.

Anyone got any news on that hotel? I work in construction and know all too well that practical completion is not always when it should be :unsure:

I'm going to Spurs v Chelsea at Wembley for the FA Cup semi-final so if I see it I'll let you know!

I've just booked myself and the girlfriend in at the Hilton Wembley (this is the new one I'm not even sure if it's built and on schedule??) They've just started taking bookings now and I think they are going to open on the 1st October. So I'm booked in there Saturday to Monday. Managed to find a code that gives 40% off and include the breakfast buffet for both guests. £89 a night will do me just fine. Non refundable incase anyone was wondering.

Anyone got any news on that hotel? I work in construction and know all too well that practical completion is not always when it should be :unsure:

...care to share the code mate? :)

I haven't even given this a thought yet.

Too busy gearing up for going to the TT (again - 4th year in a row), and the Silverstone Moto GP. :)

Can't be 100% sure on this but I'm relatively certain my Dad (Redskins fan) and I will be staying at the Victoria Park Plaza Hotel. It's just down the road from Victoria Station and we've stayed there on previous trips to London. We'll be travelling down on Friday and probably staying until Monday before travelling back up to Edinburgh.

We are unsure where to stay as we are looking to stay friday,saturday night and maybe sunday night but we are students and are looking to do it relatively cheap (ish) if possible, we dont mind sharing or anything, any ideas? Cheers

As long as you stay nearish a tube station you'll be able to make it to Wembley in an hour or so, so that opens up the possibility of staying almost anywhere in London. Try sites like laterooms.co.uk (not sure if they book this far in advance...).

Assuming that this tour's itinerary does not conflict with the party or the game, does anyone have any input on a tour like this for a first time visitor? How is the location of this hotel? Know of other tours that may be a better deal?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-premium-tours

http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours/tour/discover-london-5-star-hotel-break.id255.html

$1,458 for two

• Five-star stay at the Grange Tower Bridge Hotel
  • Vintage-bus tour of London
  • Cruise on the Thames
  • Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace
  • Full-day coach tour to Stonehenge with fast-track entrance
  • Guided tour of Bath
  • Transportation to all tours

• Cruise on the Thames

There are any number of companies doing bus tours of London and it's a great way to get a feel for the place. Central London's not all that big so you will be able to either walk or take the Tube to somewhere close to most of the main attractions. The same's true of river cruises, which come in at all prices from low to eye-watering! The Changing of the Guard takes place every day and is a real spectacle but is also popular and there can be large crowds along The Mall and around the Palace. You need more info from the organisers about whether they can guarantee a good view.
  • Guided tour of Bath

Stonehenge is a must see site but there's not a lot there, when all said and done. It's about 90 miles outside London so, say, two hours by bus. A couple of hours there would be more than enough so there are a few hours left to fill in the day. Do you get free time in one of the nearby historic cities like Salisbury or Winchester?

Bath is also worth seeing. It's two hours from London but it's reasonably close to Stonehenge so are the two done in one trip? I guess you'll be taken around the central area around the Abbey and go into the Roman Baths. There are plenty of things outside that area to see if you know your way around but you can expect it to be absolutely heaving with tourists so wandering off might not be a good idea.

Depending on how long you'll be staying and how often you'll be travelling on the Tube of buses in London it would be worth your while to investigate an Oyster card for each of your party. They're charged up with money and your fare is automatically taken when you swipe it. Transport for London guarantee the lowest fares will be charged to cardholders.

Although the season of plays will be over, it would be worth visiting the replica Globe Theatre on the banks of the Thames. That place is very atmospheric. We saw a play as groundlings (standing patrons) last year and it was a sublime experience, allowing more of Shakespeare's nuances come alive as this was the kind of setting the plays were written for.

Keith

Assuming that this tour's itinerary does not conflict with the party or the game, does anyone have any input on a tour like this for a first time visitor? How is the location of this hotel? Know of other tours that may be a better deal?

http://www.groupon.c...a-premium-tours

http://www.premiumto...reak.id255.html

$1,458 for two

• Cruise on the Thames
  • Guided tour of Bath

My wife and I were in London for the 2009 game, arriving on a Thursday morning and leaving the following Tuesday. Unless the entire travel package is giving you a real 'deal' financially, you might be better off getting your own hotel and doing your own sightseeing of London on your own schedule and at your own pace. Understand that we did not see Bath or Stonehenge (and really didn't want to), mainly because there is just so much to see and do in London proper, As Keith said, "Depending on how long you'll be staying and how often you'll be travelling on the Tube of buses in London it would be worth your while to investigate an Oyster card for each of your party. They're charged up with money and your fare is automatically taken when you swipe it. Transport for London guarantee the lowest fares will be charged to cardholders." We had no problem finding very interesting things to do on our own. The greater London area is very easy to figure out and the people are just so friendly and accomodating should you get lost around town.

Go to the following website for details about London: http://www.visitlondon.com/

Have a great trip. See you there. My son and I are going this year.

Also - don't forget to allow for the currency conversion rate Currently at 1.56.

http://www.groupon.c...a-premium-tours

http://www.premiumto...reak.id255.html

$1,458 for two

• Cruise on the Thames
  • Guided tour of Bath

Unless you particularly want to see Stonehenge and Bath (that's a whole day spent in western England when, has been said, you can spend a week in London and still not see everything) or are after a couple of plush tours / hotel, I'd suggest booking things yourself. You'll find better deals individually - the London Duck Tour is pretty cool http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/ for example and there are plenty of sights to see on foot and/or via a short tube ride.

I'd go along with those who say "do-it-yourself". Unless you really want to see Stonehenge and Bath, I'm not sure I'd trade them for a day and a half in London, if you've only got 5 days.

There are enough world class sights in London to keep you going for a lot more than 5 days.

Agree with these sentiments - whatever you're into sight-seeing wise, you'll find it in London.

also socal bong I've used www.lastminute.com before, they do these 'secret hotels' where you get a better rate as you supposedly don't know which hotel it will be. However people decipher the hotel descriptions and tell you which hotel it is on this thread: http://forums.moneys...ad.php?t=536015

In regards to the tours you can always speak to the hotel when you arrive as they might have some recommendations or even know the best rates for ones you have your heart set on. Most hotels will even have a table or display with various attractions and tours leaflets.

Due to the frequency and amount of tours on offer you shouldn't struggle to keep entertained.

Edited by quarterback2409

Finally broke down and booked air + hotel. Staying in Bayswater a short tube ride from Paddington.

Think we are just going to look at the cheapest Travelodges in the london area haha!

Marylebone Travelodge is pretty good - right opposite the station so very handy for the train to Wembley

Staying at Hilton Hotel Park Lane - got on the Thompson Sport hotel/ticket pkg.

Have yet to get the lay of the land as this will be our first trip to London.

Welcome to the MB. I hope you become an active member of the UKPatriots and post often.

You will absolutely love the greater London area. My wife can't wait to go back. As I stated in my post above - go to www.visitlondon.com for a lot of answers to the questions you may have. The UK folks can answer your questions, but if you have any questions and want an answer from a visitors POV, feel free to contact me via e-mail thru this MB. I hope you enjoy London as much as my wife and I did.

BTW, I looked into where you are from - relatively way up north but it looks comfortable from a temp standpoint all year long.

Edited by husky71

Marylebone Travelodge is pretty good - right opposite the station so very handy for the train to Wembley

Good value, great location. But tiny rooms and even tinier showers.

Good value, great location. But tiny rooms and even tinier showers.

Ours were both fine :)

You're in a great hotel there. I've stayed a couple of times in the Park Lane on Business. Good central location to get to everywhere and tube station near by and if you're lucky you'll have views over the park! When did you book? When I looked there were only suites available which aren't in my budget! :(

Finally broke down and booked air + hotel. Staying in Bayswater a short tube ride from Paddington.

That's dedication!! Did you go to the last Pats game @ Wembley vs the Bucs?

Staying at Comfort Hotel in Harrow which is quite close & not that expensive.

As for seeing London I had a couple of overseas visitors over 2 weeks ago & we did the Open Top Bus tour was £26 each but its a great way to get around you can get on & off as many times as you want & you get a tour guide giving you all the chat ( the price also includes a river cruise) which is not bad value

At least with Harrow you're not travelling back IN to London the game which is good...I should imagine the northbound tubes are a lot less crammed (if you're getting the tube that is)

That's dedication!! Did you go to the last Pats game @ Wembley vs the Bucs?

Yes I did and I had a fantastic time. Stayed in Bayswater, too.

Yes I did and I had a fantastic time. Stayed in Bayswater, too.

Ah Bayswater... Queensway area... Know it well!

Thanks for all the input about the package tour. Passed on that especially because they couldn't give me a day by day itinerary.

Still looking for hotels and came across what appears to be a decent deal.

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/international/-128-London-4-Star-Victorian-Modern-Hotels-60-Off-1271879/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email

$128 (£83) per night at Millennium Baileys Hotel or Millennium Knightsbridge Hotel

M Baileys is ranked #133 out of 1,000+ on tripadvisor while Knightsbridge is in #425.

Anyone have any feedback on these hotels, their merits or warnings, location, etc.?

They're not far from each other in West London. The Knightsbridge one is around the corner from Harrods and one of the plushest (read: busiest) shopping centres in the world, which is definitely worth a visit. It'll be noisier/busier at street level, but I'm sure that wouldn't affect your stay. The Baileys one is in a more residential area, but you're still essentially in central London. There's not much difference between the two, both with excellent transport links in all directions.

If you do choose the Knightsbridge one, drop me an email and I'll arrange you a table at a friend of mine's (excellent) Italian restaurant if you wish to dine there. Has a really great atmosphere and you might end up dining next to a celeb or two! You can still get there easily from the other hotel too.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know how much parking is at the Green Man? Iv'e emailed them a couple of times but havent heard back.

They're not far from each other in West London. The Knightsbridge one is around the corner from Harrods and one of the plushest (read: busiest) shopping centres in the world, which is definitely worth a visit. It'll be noisier/busier at street level, but I'm sure that wouldn't affect your stay. The Baileys one is in a more residential area, but you're still essentially in central London. There's not much difference between the two, both with excellent transport links in all directions.

Thanks so much for the input. I went with Bailey's primarily based on the reviews I read on Tripadvisor.

Flights are also booked. Flying from Los Angeles on a red eye to arrive on Thursday afternoon. Staying til Tuesday then taking the train to Paris where we'll stay til Saturday before flying home.

With the Olympics about to start, I'm really looking forward to my first visit to England!

In case anyone is interested in further discussion about this trip and game or wants to provide some tips to us State-siders we have a Facebook event that you are more than welcome to join:

https://www.facebook.com/events/452636698091019/

Don't be strangers on the day - would definitely be cool to meet up with "homeland" Patriots fans for a beer!

• Upvote 1

We are staying at Travelodge at Uxbride friday-monday, only cost about £25 a night

staying at the Athenaeum on Piccadilly. Unlike 09 im bringing family this year and therefore have to do touristy things in London for the weekend, heavily restricts the amount of UKPATS events i can attend :(

Either the Wembley Plazza or Ibis Wembley (all rooms at both hotels booked November last year & can be cancelled without penalty). Where we stay will depend on if I can convince Mrs PatsFanUK to come with us or not...

We're now in definitely in the Ibis Wembley on Saturday and Sunday nights as Mrs PatsFanUK is coming with us (it's our anniversary on gameday - but she's not going to the game..!..). Not sure where Tony and I will be staying on the Friday night yet though - probably somewhere cheap on the outskirts then onto Wembley Saturday morning with the Mrs making her own way to Wembley....

Just booked our flat. Because we are staying 8 days (in 2009 when we came in for the Pats game we stayed 13 days), we are renting a flat again instead of a hotel. We are staying in Central London just off Whitechapel Street. The decsription states it is two minutes walk from Aldgate East tube station.

Did everyone else staying at the Wembley Plaza get an email recently explaining it had changed hands and is now longer a Hilton hotel? All reservations will be honoured.

It appears it has been taken over by a company called Sojourn but their website has no other information: http://www.sojournhotels.co.uk/

Ben and I have reservations at what we thought was the Wembley Plaza (A Hilton Hotel). Lo and behold, our reservations are still there but the hotel is now run as the Holiday Inn London-Wembley. Those who had reservations at the 'Wembley Plaza' should still have the same reservations at the Holiday Inn London-Wembley. Contact the hotel for further information. 44-208-9028839.

Edited by husky71

Stayed at the Marriott County Hall in 2009 3 nights view of the Thames, Big Ben, Parliament, Eye, $1,800. Staying at St. Christophers Village (hostel) this time, 3 nights, 22 bed mixed dorm, about $50... The difference is due to my girlfriend not coming for the trip with me this time... the things we do for women.