ElPatriota

UKPatriots Pub Tour

Right now because of the demise of the Fullers brewery tour, I'm looking at a pub tour (not a pub crawl, that's far too common and low brow) or tours. I have one in mind which might be attractive to our colonial cousins, as one of the public houses visited on this tour is the Mayflower!

It was in fact from this pub in 1620 that the ship the Mayflower set sail with a group of protestants fleeing persecution. These passengers were to become the Pilgrim Fathers!

This has a connection for us as fans of the New England Patriots because and think about this, if that ship and its passengers had not made that journey, just which team would we be fans of?

I dread to think!

I forgot to say which day it would be so, Friday 26th p.m. exact time to be decided but possibly will be 3p.m. This would have been the time of the brewery tour had it taken place.

Pubs on this tour are:

The Mayflower

The Angel

The Prospect of Whitby

The Town of Ramsgate (yes it is a pub)

The Dickens Inn

Friday 26th p.m. exact time to be fixed. But you have reminded me that I should have said what day! Ooops!!!

Thanks for that.

Don't know if you need names for this but, for what its worth, I'm in ^_^

Oh dear, another senior moment! If interested please post here!

Guest stanleymorgan

I would like to join this tour.....but can only get out of work in the city of london at 5pm....I will meet where ever you are at that stage.

Guest dave45

Well done Dave, Reviews worth reading. An interesting set of historical east end boozers, some might find them a bit touristy (Dickens Inn especially), but with the exception of the Angel most have real ale, and it should make for an enjoyable Friday afternoon.

Guest dave45

My thoughts as well. Also some of these pubs have their own web sites. Worth a google, I reckon.

I'd be interested to join. Plane doesn't arrive until 5p.m. though so I'd catch up later after checking in at the hotel. Would be great to maybe get a rough outline when you'll be in which pub in advance if that was possible. Thanks a lot

Wish I was getting to London sooner to participate. Maybe next time I will plan better.

Is this the correct route? How are we traveling? Would some of these place have cider (for my wife)?

http://goo.gl/maps/udV0w

Not been to them so cant say for certain but majority of pubs will serve cider along with spirits and such

Guest dave45

Is this the correct route? How are we traveling? Would some of these place have cider (for my wife)?

http://goo.gl/maps/udV0w

I would think we will be taking the underground train to get across the river. Its quicker and dryer than swimming :)

I'll do an update over the weekend, provide a bit more detail, but for the moment just say that this is an afternoon tour, not an evening one.

Guest sanj2000

I would have come along, but won't finish work 'til 1700, and then it'd take me an hour to get down there.

I went to the Prospect of Whitby around 4 or 5 years ago - they had excellent beer, food, decor, and atmosphere . Looking at the reviews, it appears that it's not as good as it used to be : -(

But have a good time anyway, and have a beer or few for me!

For those who have expressed an interest inn (deliberate spelling mistake!) the pub tour; below are the route instructions for the pubs listed. Originally, I suggested a 3pm start but perhaps starting at 2pm might be better as this would allow a more relaxed approach.

Unfortunately, I will not be taking the tour as I'm teetotal, but more importantly I have a dysphunctional bladder (one of the joys of getting older) which means I have to keep trotting to the toilet, something I'd rather not do if I can possibly avoid it.

It may be possible that someone will be able to take my place.......................just watch this space.

The walk starts from Rotherhithe station and ends at St Katharine Docks

Directions to get to the MAYFLOWER pub.

Exit Rotherhithe station, turning left, and very shortly turn left again along a small alleyway leading to Railway Avenue. (To get to Rotherhithe station get the overground line south from Wapping).

After passing Brunel Museum and Brunel Engine House, turn left at the end of Railway Avenue, along Rotherhithe Street. Soon you will see The Mayflower pub on your right.

Directions to get to THE ANGEL pub:

Continue along Rotherhithe Street, towards Tower Bridge. (Rotherhithe Street joins into the Thames Path.) Just after you pass King Stairs Gardens, you will see The Angel pub, beside the river.

Directions for THE PRSOPECT OF WHITBY:

Return to the Mayflower pub and retrace your steps back to Rotherhithe station. Catch the London Overground line north to Wapping station. Turn right when leaving Wapping station and go along Wapping High Street, turning right again along Wapping Wall until you reach the Prospect of Whitby pub (on your right).

Directions for THE TOWN OF RAMSGATE pub

When exiting the Prospect of Whitby pub, turn left and retrace your steps back to Wapping station. Continue past the station and along Wapping High Street until you reach the Town of Ramsgate pub on your left.

Directions for St Katharine Docks and the Dickens Inn:

On exiting the Town of Ramsgate pub, turn left and continue along Wapping High Street for about 10 minutes. When you reach a roundabout, veer left and go along St Katherine's Way (walking parallel with the river). You will eventually arrive at St Katharine's Dock and should see the Dickens Inn ahead of you, to your right.

This now completes the tour.

To join the Underground system, the nearest station is Tower Hill. Follow signs to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge and from there, to Tower Hill underground.

If you are still interested in doing the tour then I would suggest that if you have access to a printer you print these directions.

Below is the link that gives the history of the pubs on this tour.

http://www.londonforfree.net/walks/historicpubs/historicpubs.php

I wouldn't mind meeting you guys at some point for some beverages before the meal! :)

Can't you make a facebook event for this pub tour??

Surley its easier to do it here as everyone is on here but its likely not everyone will have eachother on FB

Disappointed to hear about the Fullers Tour not happening, but this sounds great too. I will aim to join you all for this along with my friend Bob who's with me on the trip - at least for 3 of the pub stops. If there's some sort of list being made, please include me (Chris Porter +1).

For those who have expressed an interest inn (deliberate spelling mistake!) the pub tour; below are the route instructions for the pubs listed. Originally, I suggested a 3pm start but perhaps starting at 2pm might be better as this would allow a more relaxed approach.

Unfortunately, I will not be taking the tour as I'm teetotal, but more importantly I have a dysphunctional bladder (one of the joys of getting older) which means I have to keep trotting to the toilet, something I'd rather not do if I can possibly avoid it.

It may be possible that someone will be able to take my place.......................just watch this space.

The walk starts from Rotherhithe station and ends at St Katharine Docks

Directions to get to the MAYFLOWER pub.

Exit Rotherhithe station, turning left, and very shortly turn left again along a small alleyway leading to Railway Avenue. (To get to Rotherhithe station get the overground line south from Wapping).

After passing Brunel Museum and Brunel Engine House, turn left at the end of Railway Avenue, along Rotherhithe Street. Soon you will see The Mayflower pub on your right.

Directions to get to THE ANGEL pub:

Continue along Rotherhithe Street, towards Tower Bridge. (Rotherhithe Street joins into the Thames Path.) Just after you pass King Stairs Gardens, you will see The Angel pub, beside the river.

Directions for THE PRSOPECT OF WHITBY:

Return to the Mayflower pub and retrace your steps back to Rotherhithe station. Catch the London Overground line north to Wapping station. Turn right when leaving Wapping station and go along Wapping High Street, turning right again along Wapping Wall until you reach the Prospect of Whitby pub (on your right).

Directions for THE TOWN OF RAMSGATE pub

When exiting the Prospect of Whitby pub, turn left and retrace your steps back to Wapping station. Continue past the station and along Wapping High Street until you reach the Town of Ramsgate pub on your left.

Directions for St Katharine Docks and the Dickens Inn:

On exiting the Town of Ramsgate pub, turn left and continue along Wapping High Street for about 10 minutes. When you reach a roundabout, veer left and go along St Katherine's Way (walking parallel with the river). You will eventually arrive at St Katharine's Dock and should see the Dickens Inn ahead of you, to your right.

This now completes the tour.

To join the Underground system, the nearest station is Tower Hill. Follow signs to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge and from there, to Tower Hill underground.

If you are still interested in doing the tour then I would suggest that if you have access to a printer you print these directions.

Below is the link that gives the history of the pubs on this tour.

http://www.londonforfree.net/walks/historicpubs/historicpubs.php

Ted, these are great directions and it could almost be a self-guided tour. The link has some great hints for walks, the Ripper walk looks interesting also.

Ted, for those going on the Wembley tour, will there be enough time for the stadium tour, and then to get from Wembley to Rotherhithe and the Mayflower by 2:00?

No chance we'll be pressed into service in the Town of Ramsgate pub?

Thanks again, the link is very helpful.

As far as combining the Wembley tour and the Pub tour on Friday, I would think that it's entirely possible to do both. I believe without actually checking, the timing of the Wembley tour should give you time to get to the starting point of the Pub tour without too many problems, unfortunately I've not been able to put this to the test.

Okay, this is for the benefit of those doing the Wembley tour. I've done a dry run so to speak, using the T.F.L. website, so that I have some idea of how long it would take to get from Wembley to Rotherhithe. The total journey time is 1 (one) hour but, this does not include the time taken to get from the stadium to the tube station, that's something I can't really factor in.

The Wembley tour is timed to commence at ten o'clock (10 am) and should take approximately one and a half hours so, that should leave plenty of time to travel to Rotherhithe and possibly find somewhere to have something to eat should you so wish, before embarking on the pub tour.

Thanks Ted for going to the website and doing the dry run for us and your suggestion for food is a great idea. Can you recommend a place to grab something to eat. Do you know how the food is at the Mayflower?

Don't worrry if you don't know. It'll be a good opportunity to check out the area before the crawl.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to plead ignorance to a certain degree regarding food. The Mayflower does serve food between these hours 12:00 to 14:30, what the food is like is not something I know anything about, sad to say.

One important thing I did discover when doing a little bit of research, this place closes at 15:00, which is something I wasn't aware of when first planning the pub tour!

On that basis then, there will have to be an adjustment of the start time!

The Angel also (so it says on the website I perused) serves food, between 12:00 and 15:00. Again, what it's like I have no idea. This pub unlike the Mayflower, closes at 23:00.

The Prospect of Whitby serves food between 12:00 and 21:30, but if the reviews that I've read are anything to go by, you wouldn't want to eat here, just enjoy the beer instead. Closing time on Friday 00:00.

The Town of Ramsgate serves food between 12:00 and 16:00, again the reviews about the food are not that good so, it's a case of 'here for the beer'. Closing time on Friday is 00:00.

Finally, The Dickens Inn serves food, having looked at the website I can't find food service hours but I would think that service is from around mid-day to late evening. The Inn has a Grill and a Pizzeria should anyone fancy something at the end of the tour, which, incidentally, ends when you want it to, although the place does close at 23:00 (11pm)!

ON THE BASIS THAT THERE WILL BE SOME DOING THE WEMBLEY TOUR; ALLOWING FOR THEIR TRAVELING TIME OF SOMETHING IN THE REGION OF ONE AND A HALF HOURS. I WOULD SUGGEST MAKING THE TOUR START TIME AT THE MAYFLOWER NO LATER THAN 14:00 (2 pm)THIS WILL GIVE YOU TIME TO GET A DRINK AND FOOD IF YOU SO WISH.

I hope the information I have provided proves to be of use to everyone and for those that do go on the tour I hope you find it an enjoyable experience.

Guest sanj2000

Ted - I hope you don't mind me adding my own 2 cents worth :

I have done the Jubilee Line journey from Stratford to Wembley Park in around 45 mins, but would certaily suggest people allow at least 1 hour, to account for the usual delays.

For those of you lucky enough to be going, the easiest route is Wembley Park to Canada Water (jubilee line) and then Canada Water to Rotherhithe on the Overground (this now part of London Underground) - your tickets/Oystercards are valid for the entire journey. Canada Water is a fairly modern station, and has lifts and escalators if you need them.

Sanj

Using the TFL journey planner Wembley Park to Canada Water the timings show depending which departure you go for of between 30 to 34 minutes with the Overground between Canada Water and Rotherhithe timing being no more than 1 (one) minute. I would still plan for a 14:00 start, as this will give people more freedom to choose about getting something to eat.

Thanks for your input, by the way.

Guest dave45

Ted, have you found anyone yet to lead this tour? If not then give me a shout. I have done some reading up on the various sights, so I could give it a go if required.

Guest dave45

I think it's about time this thread got a bump, so to speak.

This event is definitely going ahead, and we will start from Rotherhithe station at 2pm. Easy to get to - Jubilee line to Canada Water and then one stop on the Overground to Rotherhithe, for example.

We will be spending approximately 45 minutes in each pub (although that is flexible, of course), so if you can't make it in time for the start you can join us later in the tour. You can work out the timing for yourself (or as the Americans would say "you do the math" ;) )

Guest sanj2000

So much for your chilling out on Friday, Dave!

At least you'll get to try a few ales, and inform our American cousins that draught bitter should be drunk at room temperature, not cold (well, that's my preference, anyway!).

You will also have to report on the pubs, especially the Prospect of Whitby - it'll be a shame if it it really has gone downhill in the last few years.

Edited by sanj2000

Totally agree with the above.

Also a shout out to Ted for organising the pub tour.

What pub tour??? Is it too late to come along?

Guest dave45

Especially for susieq (and any others that may have missed the thread): http://ukpatriots.co...?showtopic=4831

Please come along if you can. No pre-booking required or any of that "limited number of tickets" nonsense - just come along !

We start from Rotherhithe station at 2pm on Friday 26th and will visit 5 historic pubs, all within walking distance of each other, apart from one trip under the river.

Edited by dave45

Especially for susieq (and any others that may have missed the thread): http://ukpatriots.co...?showtopic=4831

Please come along if you can. No pre-booking required or any of that "limited number of tickets" nonsense - just come along !

We start from Rotherhithe station at 2pm on Friday 26th and will visit 5 historic pubs, all within walking distance of each other, apart from one trip under the river.

Thanks for the info..actually know where the Dickens Inn is. Any idea how long tour will go for? We'd probably have to try to catch up

somewhere.

Guest dave45

Thanks for the info..actually know where the Dickens Inn is. Any idea how long tour will go for? We'd probably have to try to catch up

somewhere.

Hi Susie

I have actually just got home from doing a trial run (any excuse for a drink). I actually completed it in about 3 hours, but that was quite quick and I am planning to allow 3/4 hour per pub. If you can't make it for the start (shame) just join us further on. Just calculate where we would be (based on 3/4 hour per pub). I cannot guarantee timings, unfortunately. I don't really want to publish my phone number on here, but I should have internet connection for most of the tour, so i will answer queries en-route if it is practical to do so. By the way, its quite a good tour.

Guest dave45

By the way, Susie, we should be easy enough to spot. There is bound to be at least one of us wearing a blue shirt with a number 12

By the way, Susie, we should be easy enough to spot. There is bound to be at least one of us wearing a blue shirt with a number 12

You mean you're not wearing your authentic Blue Moss 81 :P

Guest dave45

You mean you're not wearing your authentic Blue Moss 81 :P

Actually we are the away (or should that be Road) side, so I will probably wear my white 81 for the match

Thanks for taking this on for me Dave and for doing a dry(?) run, something that would have proved impossible for me beforehand.