Sign in to follow this  
husky71

A few simple inquries re our trip to London

1) Ben and I will be staying in Wembley near the stadium. We will be commuting by tube on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, some days more than only back and forth. Our current plans for touring greater London include the on-off bus, a cruise on the Thames and London Eye. The rest of the time will probably be on foot or manking use of the on-off bus (probably a 2 day pass, which includes the cruise on the Thames). Should we consider the London Pass?

2) We would like to have Dinner in a nice, but not overly expensive, restaurant on Thursday evening. We are looking for a restaurant with a nice atmosphere and great food. Any recommendations? BTW, We will consider any locations within greater London.

Thanks.

Edited by husky71

1) Ben and I will be staying in Wembley near the stadium. We will be commuting by tube on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, some days more than only back and forth. Our current plans for touring greater London include the on-off bus, a cruise on the Thames and London Eye. The rest of the time will probably be on foot or manking use of the on-off bus (probably a 2 day pass, which includes the cruise on the Thames). Should we consider the London Pass?

2) We would like to have Dinner in a nice, but not overly expensive, restaurant on Thursday evening. We are looking for a restaurant with a nice atmosphere and great food. Any recommendations? BTW, We will consider any locations within greater London.

Thanks.

Howard, did you not say that you had an Oyster card last time you were over ?

If so, you should still be able to use that.

Getting in and out of London from the Wembley hotels is quickest by using the Chiltern Railway line, 1 stop from Wembley Stadium staion into Marylebone, from there you have multiple tube options to other places.

Thanks.

We're coming from Lexington for 2nd time. Would like to hear a restaurant recommendationas well..hit or miss on last trip.

1)

Thanks.

Hi Howard, Its all a question of cuisine. Whatever you want, someone is cooking it well somewhere in London. This might give you some ideas: http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/2584/london-eating-2012

Personal choice right now would be Hawksmoor http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2:1777/hawksmoor-spitalfields

Really nice restaurants, and friendly and knowledgable staff. A bit different to the usual US steak house, but no less delicious.

What do people think of the following:

Jamie Oliver's Barbecoa (20 New Change Passage

City of London, Greater London EC4M 9AG)

Jamie Oliver's Jamies Italian (probably in Covent Garden)

Husky71 - I tried Simpsons around half a dozen years ago (special occassion), and it was excellent. Food was of high standard, and the "experience" was very good, too. But it's not cheap, and I haven't been back since! Good choice if you want to try typical British dishes, and is near Trafalger Square (Charing Cross tube).

http://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/restaurant.php

Barbecoa is great, and slightly more economical than Hawksmoor. As it's in the City, though, not sure if you'll be able to get a reservation, as it gets pretty busy. If you're after good steak restaurants, alternatives are Hix (there are a few dotted around so you should be able to get a table) or Goodmans.

Jamie's Italian is above average chain-Italian food. Think Maggiano's or Bucca di Bepo. Pleasant enough, but nothing really memorable. There are certainly better independent Italians in town.

What does anyone ever been to the Blueprint Cafe? It gets great reviews for it's food and atmosphere.

Nestled on the first floor of the Design Museum, Blueprint Café has magnificent views from Canary Wharf to the East through Tower Bridge and the City to the West.

I went there a few years ago now and it's perfectly decent. You get great views of Tower Bridge, it's one of a handful (I think) of Conran restaurants in that area, the other one I can name off the top of my head being Pont de la Tour (which does excellent Dover Sole, if you're into fish). It's not the easiest place to get to if you are using public transport, so cab ride is the best bet. Would make for a very nice night out, I would say book with confidence!

Meat Liquor near Oxford Circus does absolutely fantastic burgers. They don't reserve tables so the queue goes round the block, but go in the early evening and you'll be well satisfied. My mouth is actually watering now at the thought!

After a recommendation from an acquaintance Ben works with, we have decided on The Blueprint Cafe. We already have a confirmed reservation for Thursday evening at 6:00pm. Thanks to everyone who provided information on thid thread.

Edited by husky71

Anyone ever taken the 'James Bond Tour'? I'm not sure that we have the time but it does sound interesting.

I've been to London only once before but I think I know enough to plan our busy itenerary for touring London and attending some of the UKP events.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Thursday morning: Arrive Thursday am. Get thru customs and head to our hotel.

Thursday afternoon touring in London (schedule unknown at this time).

Thursday evening: Dinner at The Blueprint Cafe located overlooking the Tower of London.

Friday morning:Wembley tour

Friday afternoon: London Eye / Houses of Parliament / Big Ben / Westminster Abbey / boatride on the Thames

2-day On-off bus tour for Friday and Saturday

Saturday morning: Green Park / Buckingham Palace / Piccadilly Circus/ Leicester Sq

Saturday afternoon: Covent Garden / Soho / Trafalgar Sq

Saturday Evening: Pre-game party at The Sports Cafe

Sunday morning: Have to show Ben what Harrods is all about

Sunday afternoon: R/R at the hotel and just meet up with other UKPatriots and other NE Patriots fans

Sunday late afternoon/evening: Some game at Wembley Stadium

Monday am: home to Boston

If any has any suggestions for Thursday afternoon it would be appreciated.

Has anyone ever take the 'James Bond Tour'?

Edited by Mandy (mrs laz)

i thought you were going to bevis marks? do that on thursday as you then can go onto your meal. liverpool st to Tower of london not far

Busy schedule you got their Howie! :)

Hope everything ticks over well so you can fit everything in!!

Warren's right about Bevis Marks, Howard. I'm as goy as they come, but find it one of London's most beautiful sacred spaces.

The day after your red-eye flight?

• We have lots of free museums. Check them out on the web and take your pick from the V&A, Natural history, British, Imperial War, Science etc.
  • Same goes for Art agalleries - you could kill a whole day easily at the National Gallery (Traf.Sq). I spend a few lunchtimes there, and never run out of rooms to see. You may be able to tag along to a free talk/tour.

• Maybe you fancy the Olympic Park (take the Emirates Air line across the Thames).
  • Tea at the Ritz?
  • Changing the guard at Buckingham Palace. Christopher Robin went down with Alice, Happens about 11-ish every morning.
  • Westminster Cathedral (not Abbey) has a neat belltower you can climb for some great views.
  • If you like step, go up the Monument (marks the start of the 1666 fire of London). It's near Bodeans where we ate in '09, close to the Tower and Tower bridge (great for photos).
  • Take a stroll arouns some of the parks - Green, St.James and Hyde are all close to each other and walkable.
  • Want to see Karl Marx? Highgate cemetary.
  • Do they still do jack the Ripper tours?
  • Hampton Court is a bit out of town, but pretty cool (get lost in the maze), as is Kew Gardens.

Re: Free museums:

I was in Greenwich (S.E. London) the other day. The National Maritime Museum (& Queens House) is still free, and worth a visit, as is the Royal Naval College (famous for its painted hall). The Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory are not free however (Cutty Sark never was, but the Royal Observatory used to be free).

All easily reached via Cutty Sark station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR).

Edited by Dave45

The day after your red-eye flight?

• We have lots of free museums. Check them out on the web and take your pick from the V&A, Natural history, British, Imperial War, Science etc.
  • Same goes for Art agalleries - you could kill a whole day easily at the National Gallery (Traf.Sq). I spend a few lunchtimes there, and never run out of rooms to see. You may be able to tag along to a free talk/tour.

• Maybe you fancy the Olympic Park (take the Emirates Air line across the Thames).

Or mix and match your galleries and churches - Tate Modern and then cross the WIbbly Wobbly Bridge (Millennium Bridge) to St Pauls. Don't baulk at the "donation" you have to pay to get into the Cathedral - it's worth it to see Wren's masterpiece.

Borough Market is also pretty close at hand.

Olympic Park is closed to the public until next July - http://noordinarypark.co.uk/when/

Re: Free museums:

I was in Greenwich (S.E. London) the other day. The National Maritime Museum (& Queens House) is still free, and worth a visit, as is the Royal Naval College (famous for its painted hall). The Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory are not free however (Cutty Sark never was, but the Royal Observatory used to be free).

All easily reached via Cutty Sark station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR).

Greenwich is a great place to visit although it's a little way from the centre of town. If you do go, you can take a boat back in to the city as far as The Embankment:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2648.aspx

If you're still short of things to do, this is a great site for general information:

http://www.visitlondon.com/

Busy schedule you got their Howie! :)

Hope everything ticks over well so you can fit everything in!!

So do I!

i thought you were going to bevis marks? do that on thursday as you then can go onto your meal. liverpool st to Tower of london not far

Allowing that we will be settled at our hotel at Wembley by 9:30am(?), can we get to Harrads (How long a trip from Wembley?) by 11:00am, spend maybe 2-3 hours, then get to Bevis Marks Synagogue for the rest of the afternoon (How long a trip from Harrads?) and be at The Blueprint Cafe by 6:00pm (I know that is a short trip from Bevis Marks) or am I trying to do the impossible in one day?

Easy peasy Howard.

If you take the Jubilee Line from Wembley Park, change at Green Park to the Piccadilly Line and get off at Knightsbridge you'll be in Harrods within 30 minutes.

Then to get to the synagogue take the Piccadilly line at Knightsbridge, change at Holborn to the Central Line and get off at Liverpool St. Again, it's about a 30 minute journey but you'll have to walk about 5-10 mins to get to Bevis Marks.

However, the Blueprint cafe is a bit of a trek. At least 30 mins walk from Bevis Marks. Nice walk across Tower Bridge though.

2-3 hours in Harrods? I can take about 30 minutes (in the Food Hall!) before wanting to start a revolution.