mrs laz

2013 Roadtrip vs Browns 8th December - Discussion thread

Oooh, ooh, a visit to Fenway? Can we? Can we??

You can if you want; the shop will be open but there won't be any games on at that time of year.

Oooh, ooh, a visit to Fenway? Can we? Can we??

You can if you want; the shop will be open but there won't be any games on at that time of year.

The tour is also well worth doing from my experience, was a lot of fun and get to see a lot of the place.

So, tell me, as a complete and utter newbie, how does it all work then?

Do some meet up at the airport and then fly together? Or is it meeting in Boston, New England, how does it all work?

I'm thinking of going earlier, possibly Thurs. Is it feasible to get in touch with others of similar mind and proceed?

Apologies, I'm kinda hazy on most of what might happen.

And the 'always a first time comment' is making me nervous!

Still, Dec eh? Getting excited! Bit early I know but still...oooh!

Dont be nervous - we most likely wont lose you! ;-)

Seriously though - as Warren says - the "organised" stuff with the group focusses on the gameday itself. We will go as a group from the hotel to the stadium (shared cars, volunteer drivers, everyone pitches in on cost for petrol/parking). We will get you back to the hotel some hours after the game finishes ! As far as travelling to Boston, folks usually start posting information on flight sales a few months in advance and then discussing what flights they might take. We do usually end up with a few people on the same flights out from Heathrow on the Thursday or Friday before.....just because of the concentration of people flying from the south. So, some people do meet at the airport beforehand. We then usually organise a couple of events/meet-ups closer to the time. See the Bruins thread started by David if you are interested in hockey on the Saturday night. Given that this is happening on the Saturday, and depending on who is in town by then, we might do the usual group meet up on the Friday night....... this frequently happens either at the Pourhouse or Whiskeys, both of which are on Boylston in downtown Boston.

If you havent been to Boston before, I would say that going on Thursday and doing some of the sights would be a great idea - there is plenty to see in Boston itself.

Hope this helps. Keep asking questions and sharing any concerns, and folks will share their experiences with you. With it being a December game its still kind of early to confirm details but once summer is over, you should start to see more in the way of confirmed plans.

(and again - dont worry! I dont think we have had anyone along yet who didnt think this road trip was a blast of a weekend!)

Do some meet up at the airport and then fly together? Or is it meeting in Boston, New England, how does it all work?

I'm thinking of going earlier, possibly Thurs. Is it feasible to get in touch with others of similar mind and proceed?

And if there's anything you really want to do when you're there, don't keep it to yourself. Chances are that whatever it is, some of us will have done it before and can offer hints, or maybe some others will want to join you.

You'll meet some great people, and make some good friends.

Don't let my 1st time comment get you nervous. See the smily face I attached to the end of my statement. :P When you get a chance, read my profile regarding my relationship with the UKPatriots and you will see what my reaction was when I met everyone for the 1st time. Hopefully your will be the same. To repeat what has has already been stated, ask any and as many questions as you need to so you feel comfortable when you arrive here in Boston.

I checked with Virgin & the prices are still high I did discover that Delta code share with Virgin & most of their Boston flights are provided by Virgin but the price is cheaper so book with Delta get the flight with Virgin save £££'s

Not booked any as yet but I will be landing on the Friday. There is a flight that takes from Manchester at 5:50 & gets into Logan around 13:30 ish.

Flying back is going to be a pain as i'm going to the Miami game a week after the Browns game the flights from Miami to Manc only seem to be 2 stops rather than 1 stop so I might fly back to Heathrow.

Can you get a return to/from Miami and then fly back to the UK from Boston?

I'm probably going to do London - Boston - Miami - London as well, but I'll be using United points so will have to call in at Newark or Washington on every step of the way.

Booked up today. 11.30am BA213 from Heathrow. Staying at The Colonnade Hotel on Huntington Ave, (roughly opposite Prudential Centre) so easy walk to Pourhouse and Whiskeys for watching Bruins at Habs on Thursday night, hopefully. Returning on Monday 5.55pm BA212.

Are most people landing on the Friday? Departing on the Monday/Tuesday? I am seriously tempted to go after reading about the Penguins game on the Saturday. With the lack of Bruins games the week before and after the roadtrip, it appears that the Boston Celtics might have a nice little homestand :)

Edited by The Pats

I'm planning to arrive on Thursday and visit a brewery or two, maybe Harpoon or Jack's Abby, on Friday. Then onto somewhere like Bukowski's, Deep Ellum or Cambridge Brewing Company before the Pourhouse.

So myself, Grecian & Aldo are all on the 11.30am (AA operated by BA) flight out of Heathrow on Friday 6th, returning on the 9.10pm out of Logan redeye to Heathrow on Tuesday 10th. Planning on watching MNF in Whiskeys & spending Tuesday in or around Boston ;).

We're all staying at the Courtyard on Sat & Sun. 40 Berkley hostel for the other nights, need to save some cash somewhere.

I still need to book it off work, but I have a good excuse now as I need to leave Canada for 9 days anyway for tax purposes (182 day thing) and the plans already in the works to drive down with Paul (DG) and Chris (chelseafan). Would make sense to head to Miami afterwards but not sure if I will be able to do that, though it sounds like fun.

Excellent seeing people already booking flights, already seems so close now.

We're flying in early in the week for some travelling around New England. Could be tempted by a Friday brewery trip though :)

Sweet as!

So, what happens at a tailgate then? I've got a vague idea of what happens.

Tailgate - basically we drink beer and have a barbeque, featuring Paul G (bruschifan)'s legendary spicy meatballs; they have to be tasted to be believed.

I love having Paul's balls in my mouth. Very juicy and quite spicy.

But are they as good as Pete Schweddys balls?

But are they as good as Pete Schweddys balls?

I can never resist Schweddy balls. But Paul's balls are tastier.

They were mostly over your shirt ? :D

Nonsense. I swallowed that ball juice like a pro. Naturally some got on my shirt. But there was a lot of it.

Not sure about this ball business.

Not sure about the meatballs either ;)

You should have been there a few years back when Lauren's pulled pork was also a topic of conversation :ph34r:

Not sure about this ball business.

Not sure about the meatballs either ;)

It will all make sense when you attend the tailgate.

Our arrangements will be a bit more last minute this year as I may have to work around a work meeting in the US either the week before or after RT weekend. If it all works out, we are going to do a couple of days in New York, doing the Christmas shopping thing :-)

Our arrangements will be a bit more last minute this year as I may have to work around a work meeting in the US either the week before or after RT weekend. If it all works out, we are going to do a couple of days in New York, doing the Christmas shopping thing :-)

Don't forget to hopefully leave some time open while you are in the Boston area so Annabelle and Michael can say hello. :)

A scheduled work meeting here isn't really so bad. HP will pay for your flight. ;)

Edited by husky71

Don't forget to hopefully leave some time open while you are in the Boston area so Annabelle and Michael can say hello. :)

We will do our very best!

Hi, im a little late too the party,, but with the help off Howard (husky71) he managed to get me a tkt and hopefully squeeze me into the hotel,, so im just wondering when everybody is travelling out to Boston,, all the flights for me from Edinburgh stop over in Heathrow, so wondering if anybody else is flying from there and when and ill try getting on one of them flights if possible... like I said im late to the party and new to this site,, but id really like to thank Howard again and hope everybody else is s cool as him...

I'm planning to arrive on Thursday and visit a brewery or two, maybe Harpoon or Jack's Abby, on Friday. Then onto somewhere like Bukowski's, Deep Ellum or Cambridge Brewing Company before the Pourhouse.

I could live with a visit to Harpoon on the Friday if you fancy some company.

I'm getting g excited now,, tkt for the game sorted out,, book hotel over wkd ( does anybody want to share room?) just read up above about a trip to Fenway I'd love to go there if that's happening,, need to starting talking and getting to know you all,, over wkd..

And again thanks too Howard & Paul for all there help

Martyn

Edinburgh

We are in Boston as usual.

Hi guys .. anyone staying in Boston Saturday night or is everyone bunking down in Norwood? Sunday night too?

I'll be staying the Courtyard Saturday & nights but I will watch the Pens - Bruins game at CBS Scene if they show it there.

Pam and I are in Norwood both Saturday and Sunday. In Boston Thursday and Friday nights though.

Just a reminder, anyone who wants to spend part of Friday night at Matthews Arena in Boston (only a short walk/T ride from downtown) to watch the Northeastern Huskies ice hockey team play Providence College Friars please let me know. I have 3 extra tickets (1st row Balcony, Center Ice) but can get more if necessary. The game begins at 8:00pm and runs about 2.5 hours. Anyone who goes is welcome to spend as much or as litte time watching the game as they wish. It's OK to leave before the end of the game if you want to go bar-hopping in Boston that night. ;) BTW, the tickets are on me, just buy me dinner either in the varsity Club at Matthews Arena or at a local restaurant.

It would be great take to watch College Hockey on Friday night, the Bruins on Saturday night and the Patriots on Sunday afternoon. :)

Edited by husky71

Hi guys .. anyone staying in Boston Saturday night or is everyone bunking down in Norwood? Sunday night too?

I think Aldo and I are booked at the Courtyard Sat & Sun. I haven't sorted anything for Thu & Fri yet, but expect I'll be downtown.

Hi I'm new on here and just got a question won't be able to go to this game but was wondering how this works is everything done and u pay or is there things I would hav to sort out ie. flight, game tickets any info would be great thank

Hi I'm new on here and just got a question won't be able to go to this game but was wondering how this works is everything done and u pay or is there things I would hav to sort out ie. flight, game tickets any info would be great thank

Hi Patriot 1990.

The game tickets are arranged by a member of UK Patriots, through contacts in New England and the Patriots organisation, established over many years now. These are available to UK Patriots members, who are registered members of the NE Patriots fan club registry (PM Jaco for details of joining) and who are regularly active on the forum. There are certain rules applicable to these tickets and if you have a look at the now closed "Roadtrip application thread" in the events forum, you will see what these are.

Beyond that, each person is responsible for making their own travel & accommodation arrangements, although members often group together on a casual basis to do this. This can be for cost saving purposes or to avoid travelling alone etc. You will find that all roadtrippers are a very friendly bunch, who will give you the utmost help & advice, you only need to ask.

.... You will find that all roadtrippers are a very friendly bunch....

Well, apart from Warren ;)

Is there anybody willing to share a room on this road trip? Obviously I'll pay half,, save some cost for the proshop..

Is there anybody willing to share a room on this road trip? Obviously I'll pay half,, save some cost for the proshop..

Is there anyone that is not already bunked up, guys?? Turns into a real nice hotel at half the price if you do!

what the number for the green party to grass on a member?

There's only one room left its a guest room 2 Queens, is there anybody want to split it, its only $129 per night sat-sun, think ill stay in boston in the friday

Guest sanj2000

I will probably get there on Tues, to do some sightseeing (just how feasible is that in early December - anyone?), stay in a Boston hotel on Tues-Fri, then check into the R/T hotel for Sat + Sun.

BDD_73 - Fenway Park in the cold it is! I'll wear my Red Sox beanie! Wed, Thurs, Fri sightseeing should be enough for me. Still hoping to persuade a friend of mine to come along (now that my girlfriend is not attending) - esp as he's a big hockey fan.

Just looked at flights again yesterday - direct from LHR to BOS is around £440 on Delta, but I can't even book until I know if my ice hockey friend is coming.

BTW, I was thinking of this hotel Tues-Fri (Hilton Doubletree Club Boston Bayside) :

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/massachusetts/doubletree-club-by-hilton-hotel-boston-bayside-BOSCHDT/index.html

Warren getting abuse, I guess the football season is about to start! It's as good a warm up as any. :P

I just watched SB38 + 39 as I have gamepass back. Good viewing!