mrs laz

2013 Roadtrip vs Browns 8th December - Discussion thread

Has anyone ordered anything from Amazon, etc, and had it delivered to the Road Trip hotel, to be picked up while you're staying there?

I was thinking of buying a couple of things but wasn't sure if it was feasible for any packages to be held at the Courtyard Canton/Norwood.

My nephew is even thinking about ordering a laptop, have it delivered to the hotel, and for me to bring it back for him, as there is a very big price difference (half price he told me!) in the USA v UK price.

just drive down the rd to best buy and buy it when your there

Has anyone ordered anything from Amazon, etc, and had it delivered to the Road Trip hotel, to be picked up while you're staying there?

I was thinking of buying a couple of things but wasn't sure if it was feasible for any packages to be held at the Courtyard Canton/Norwood.

My nephew is even thinking about ordering a laptop, have it delivered to the hotel, and for me to bring it back for him, as there is a very big price difference (half price he told me!) in the USA v UK price.

You're putting a lot of faith in Amazon only giving them a 2 day window to get a delivery right. I usually find that a 2 week window is more appropriate for them.

just drive down the rd to best buy and buy it when your there

I have done this, but for the lowest price at Best Buy I had to order it from the website and collect in store. The store were "unable" to match their own internet price instore (!) but suggested that we use one of the laptops on display to make the internet order. All we had to do was wait 30 minutes for the order to make its way through their ordering system. Remember to add tax when comparing prices, and to tell your Credit Card &/or bank that you are planning of using US websites when in the US to make purchases or expect a few telephone conversations with the fraud department.

Unless you have time to drive to New Hampshire where there's no sales tax on stuff like that.

I bought my laptop and iPod in Concord, NH on the 2008 roadtrip

The sales tax in MA is 6.25% so as said above add that to any price but there are another couple of things he needs to consider

1) The keyboard will be different

2) You will have to ditch all the packaging & if possible start it up & load some stuff onto it because if you get pulled in at customs on the way back you will be charged VAT & import tax on it

And I doubt it will be 1/2 price you are more likely to save 25-30%

As for the Amazon idea don't forget it's the weekend & there may be deliveries on Sat but definitely not Sun very risky in my opinion

I've used Amazon to get stuff sent to US hotels dozens of times. Get your order in early so it's waiting for you, and email the hotel to ask them to hang onto it.

I get into Boston from SF at 4:34pm on Thursday. Staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge on Thursday and Friday night. Probably wander over to The Breakfast Club in Alston on Friday morning to line the stomach.

The sales tax in MA is 6.25% so as said above add that to any price but there are another couple of things he needs to consider

1) The keyboard will be different

2) You will have to ditch all the packaging & if possible start it up & load some stuff onto it because if you get pulled in at customs on the way back you will be charged VAT & import tax on it

And I doubt it will be 1/2 price you are more likely to save 25-30%

As for the Amazon idea don't forget it's the weekend & there may be deliveries on Sat but definitely not Sun very risky in my opinion

Yeah - don't underestimate the keyboard thing. All my work equipment came from the US, and I'm sick of life without a pound sign.

But the word about packaging doesn't just apply to PC's - anyone planning to do their Christmas shopping could get stung on the way back through Heathrow.

Attention all roadtrippers - please check your email for a message regarding RT weekend. Thanks!

(please also reply to the request for input on gameday transport if you havent already done so.)

Guest sanj2000

Thanks for the advice on buying/ordering stuff, everyone.

I have spoken to my nephew, and told him of the Best Buy (and Walmart) options in addition to Amazon. If he does order the laptop on the internet, he will do so around 29 November, which gives the supplier a week to deliver to the Courtyard. The saving is worth it, I have been told; I have warned him about the keyboard being different!

I bought a camcorder several years ago from a Best Buy shop when I was in Orlando, and threw away all the packaging just in case I got stopped by customs coming back; I even posted the receipt + warranty to myself, rather than have it in my suitcase! It all worked out okay in the end.

In anticipation of a cold/raw/snowy day on December 8th, here is what my son might be wearing. To some it is a bit much but remember - you can always pull off a layer or two but you can't put on what you don't have. These suggestions are from years of experience for both my son and I attending very wintry games at Gillette Stadium and long ago, hiking and camping in near-zero or sub-zero weather with the Boy Scouts.

1) Layers of light clothing, not only 1 or 2 heavy sweatshirts. My son and I will probably be wearing probably to 6 layers on our torsos and 3-4 layers on our legs. To cut the wind on your legs over everything else you should wear either light rain pants or an Insulated suit.
2) Foot warmers (not just toe warmers) between your boots (not sneakers) and 1st layer of socks. We will be wearing one layer of light wool socks and maybe 2 layers of heavier wool socks.
3) Hand warmers. A pair of good warm winter mittens (not gloves). We will have our hand warmers, small wool gloves then our warm winter mittens.
4) Before you enter the Stadium (probably after tailgating) change your socks. While tailgating, your feet begin to sweat from all the moving around. Without changing to warm, dry socks, sitting or standing at your seats, if your feet do get frigid cold, they will get awful uncomfortable.

At least if the weather is what is expected and we find that we are dressed too warm, we can always drop off a layer or two, but if the temperature drops below expected and/or the wind picks up and you are not dressed warm enough, what are you going to do? Your options are rather limited - you can allow your body to feel the colder weather or you can decide to leave. BTW, don't even suggest drinking more beer. If you decide that that's the way to go, the more you drink, the harder it is for your body to retain the warmth. Medical fact - Drinking boozy beverages will make you feel warmer, but it doesn't actually keep you warm or prevent hypothermia. Instead, drinking alcohol lowers the core temperature of your body. If that happens, it's all down hill.

Since I don't know what the weather will be, yet, this is a worst case scenario. We have been known to have blizzards in December as well as a 'spring thaw' wher the temperature gets to the 40sF or the 50sF.

I have spoken to my nephew, and told him of the Best Buy (and Walmart) options in addition to Amazon. If he does order the laptop on the internet, he will do so around 29 November, which gives the supplier a week to deliver to the Courtyard. The saving is worth it, I have been told; I have warned him about the keyboard being different!

I bought a camcorder several years ago from a Best Buy shop when I was in Orlando, and threw away all the packaging just in case I got stopped by customs coming back; I even posted the receipt + warranty to myself, rather than have it in my suitcase! It all worked out okay in the end.

Power supply not an issue for a laptop?

my tip if you havent got one go to under armour in wrentham and get a base layer. best investment you will make

anyway we have a few from scotland going this is like there summer

my tip if you havent got one go to under armour in wrentham and get a base layer. best investment you will make

+1 for the Under Armour. I use it on the motorbike and its warmth to thickness ratio is very good. Used it for the MNF game two years ago, certainly did the trick, although it may have been assisted by clam chowdaah!

I'd second that Warren, I have a couple of cheaper versions "Sondico" they do make a hell of a difference in the cold.

Power supply not an issue for a laptop?

I have a US-bought laptop; it ran fine plugging it into UK mains via an adapter. My British one charges fine over here with an adapter.

Guest sanj2000

Thanks, Howard.

I second the several layers idea, but have never used foot or hand warmers. I also thought about a disposable rain poncho just in case - I don't like the idea of standing for 3 hours being cold AND wet!

On the BBC long range forecast (unpredictable, I know) for Boston, daytime temperature for Wednesday 4 Dec is forecast to range between 17 and -3C ! Nightime 6 to -6C.

Edited by sanj2000

Email to check, roger that!

Glad to read the posts regarding newbies too :)

Oooh, getting a bit excited now. Got the Dropkick Murphys on and am practising my best Boston type accent. Octobah! :)

Just bought some thermal bottoms and socks and will bring my best beenie hats, a rather fetching Pat Patriot old skool hat and a nifty Red Sox 100 years at Fenway.

Will be at Heathrow early Fri morning.

I'm as excited as a very excited person who's got an extra special reason to be excited.

Are we bringing a flag to show off in the stands? Like a UK Pats sign or something?

Email to check, roger that!

Glad to read the posts regarding newbies too :)

Oooh, getting a bit excited now. Got the Dropkick Murphys on and am practising my best Boston type accent. Octobah! :)

Just bought some thermal bottoms and socks and will bring my best beenie hats, a rather fetching Pat Patriot old skool hat and a nifty Red Sox 100 years at Fenway.

Will be at Heathrow early Fri morning.

I'm as excited as a very excited person who's got an extra special reason to be excited.

Are we bringing a flag to show off in the stands? Like a UK Pats sign or something?

Ar you flying on the 6th Dec??

We have flags :-)

I'm liasing with Ade to drop some off , hmm...decisions decisions..... whats "in" this season....

As a complete last minute birthday surprise, my better half has treated me and my dad to 2 tickets to the Brown's game next week. The fact that the game is on my birthday makes it even better!

We fly out friday 6th and back on the morning flight on monday the 9th.

Would be great to come and find you guys at the tailgate just to say hello again, We were treated excellently by all at the Cardinals game last year and would be nice to say thanks again.

BTW, don't even suggest drinking more beer. If you decide that that's the way to go, the more you drink, the harder it is for your body to retain the warmth. Medical fact - Drinking boozy beverages will make you feel warmer, but it doesn't actually keep you warm or prevent hypothermia. Instead, drinking alcohol lowers the core temperature of your body. If that happens, it's all down hill.

Beer freezes around -5C - but if it gets that cold, you really won't feel like more cold drinks, alcoholic or otherwise.

Add a couple of shots of spirit and it should be good down to below -10c

As a complete last minute birthday surprise, my better half has treated me and my dad to 2 tickets to the Brown's game next week. The fact that the game is on my birthday makes it even better!

Would be great to come and find you guys at the tailgate just to say hello again, We were treated excellently by all at the Cardinals game last year and would be nice to say thanks again.

That's what I call a birthday surprise :)

Guest sanj2000

Drinks on patriots80, then!

All I got for my birthday from my girlfriend was a rather disappointing trip to Spur in the O2 (http://ukspur.co.uk) - and even that was 4 years late.

I have ordered enough foot warmers and handwarmers for everyone. They should be arriving at my home in enough time for the game. If they do arrive in time for the game, and they should, everyone will receive footwarmers and handwarmers in their game bag, which again will also include 2 Luggage Spotters (already received them) with the UKPatriots logo.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week.

Edited by husky71

Fantastic news Howard. Thanks for doing this; I suspect they may come in useful on gameday!

10 days out - TWC weather forecast for Foxboro on Sunday:

DayDec 8

32.png

39°FHigh

Sunny

Chance of precip: 10% Wind: WNW at 11 mph Humidity: 58%
UV Index: 1 - Low Sunrise: 7:01 am Moonrise: 11:14 am Moonphase: Waxing Crescent
Great day for a football game. Footwarmers and handwarmers will be in use for maximun comfort..
Edited by husky71

I wouldn't take much notice of long term forecasts, they are bound to change drastically from now until then. Tomorrow you might see blizzards!

3 to 5 days is usually when they start becoming more accurate, so for the guys on the RT they can look on the Tues / Weds on the week of the game to get a better idea. I was hoping for snow though! :)

I wouldn't take much notice of long term forecasts, they are bound to change drastically from now until then. Tomorrow you might see blizzards!

3 to 5 days is usually when they start becoming more accurate, so for the guys on the RT they can look on the Tues / Weds on the week of the game to get a better idea. I was hoping for snow though! :)

Danny, I totally understand that but I just thought the 1st long-range forecast was a start. I've lived in New England all my life. Never mind day-to-day, I've seen the weather change hour to hour. Even 3-5 days out isn't what actually occurs. I wouldn't rule out a snowstorm just yet. ;)

Edited by husky71

10 days out - TWC weather forecast for Foxboro on Sunday:

DayDec 8

32.png

39°FHigh

Sunny

Chance of precip: 10% Wind: WNW at 11 mph Humidity: 58%
UV Index: 1 - Low Sunrise: 7:01 am Moonrise: 11:14 am Moonphase: Waxing Crescent
Great day for a football game. Footwarmers and handwarmers will be in use for maximun comfort..

39? That'll be shorts and a T-shirt after the last week or so up here!

Or just swimming trunks if you are a Newcastle United supporter

Flying out on Thursday, 11.30am British Airways flight from Heathrow. We'll probably be kicking around at the airport from about 8.30-9am if anyone is on a simar timetable. I imagine we'll probably head to the Weatherspoons for breakfast.

On arrival in Boston, the plan is to hit the Bruins shop and then pub, possibly Whiskeys, for the Bruins game.

What time do you think you'll be in Whiskeys? I'm probably going to head to Bukowskis and/or Deep Ellum to get few ticks in first but heading on to Boylston sounds like a plan.

On arrival in Boston, the plan is to hit the Bruins shop and then pub, possibly Whiskeys, for the Bruins game.

What time do you think you'll be in Whiskeys? I'm probably going to head to Bukowskis and/or Deep Ellum to get few ticks in first but heading on to Boylston sounds like a plan.

Probably around 6.30-7pm, just before the game starts. May look to have something to eat as well.

Yaaaay !! We can clinch the East next week :) .. Or the week after .. doesn't matter :D

Would be nice to get t-shirts though :)

I have ordered enough foot warmers and handwarmers for everyone. They should be arriving at my home in enough time for the game. If they do arrive in time for the game, and they should, everyone will receive footwarmers and handwarmers in their game bag, which again will also include 2 Luggage Spotters (already received them) with the UKPatriots logo.

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week.

Everything arrived today. I will be bringing enough Handwarmers and Footwarmers (if you want them) Sunday for the game. I have decided NOT to put them in the Game Bags but there will be more than enough for everyone.

Latest Forecast from TWC is a high of 37F, NW 10MPH wind and -0- chance of precipitation.

So as folks are starting to head out now, just a reminder of what will be happening on Gameday.

• Please be in the lobby at the Courtyard Hotel Norwood by 815am LATEST. We will be meeting Ed, Paul and Howard there and will leave as a group at about 0845.
  • We aim to be in the parking lot as it opens at 9am
  • Mark Jubb (Swindon Patriot) has been co-ordinating transport arrangements between hotel and stadium, with a number of volunteer drivers in rental cars.
  • Those folks who are travelling as passengers in cars should cover the cost of the parking at Gillette. ($40 per car)
  • We will aim to park as close to each other as possible in the parking lot for the tailgate.
  • Tailgate food/drink/facilities are kindly arranged by Ed and Paul (thanks Ed and Paul!), and are covered in the cost of the game ticket payment. Anyone attending who is not part of the UKPats ticketed group, please check in with Waspie on making your contribution of $10 towards the costs.
  • Game tickets will be collected early on the morning of the game and distributed at the tailgate as usual. It's your responsibility to make sure you are around to receive your ticket, so anyone heading off to the Pro Shop etc, make sure you have found Mark or I BEFORE around 1145 when we usually head in to the stadium!
  • Remember the new NFL rule - no bags to go into the stadium, except for the official NFL clear bags. Howard has kindly provided one for each roadtripper (see above) - thanks Howard!
  • Please check your email for the updated list of mobile phone numbers and take this with you in case you need to contact one of the group while you are away.
  • After the game, we will head back to the tailgate.

Any roadtrip regulars, please feel free to add any extra hints and tips to this list - I think it covers the main points.

Just a quick tip anyone wanting to visit the Pro Shop on game day & take stuff back to the car do so before 11am .

At 11 they close the outside doors & access is then only allowed from inside the stadium after you have gone through the ticket check & you won't be allowed in & then out again