mrs laz

2013 Roadtrip vs Browns 8th December - Discussion thread

For discussion and planning for the official roadtrip to the Browns game on 8th December.

At this moment in time i'm more inclined to stay in Boston the whole weekend rather than stay at Norwood. Reason is I don't think there is enough around Norwood to do if we spent the Saturday & Sunday there.

Will proberly do a Thursday & fly back on the Monday. There is a flight on the Thursday that leaves around 6ish and land at Logan around 13ish which would be great if the Bruins are at home.

I'll likely fly in on Saturday and out on Monday - unless the literal roadtrip from Ontario is happening and the times work.

Count me in! Excited as I needed to visit home that week for family function.

Jay I understand what you say about Norwood but do you really want the long drive early on Sunday morning to be there in time for the tailgate & to drive back to Boston in all the traffic after the game ? I'll probably do Norwood Sat & Sun, there's no need to be in Norwood early on Sat & if you do what Warren & I did last year & visit the Pro Shop on Sat it's way less busy than on game day :) Also it's closer to Wrentham Outlets & you know Warren & I do like a shopping spree :)

Boom, Holiday signed off! Bring on Boston (hopefully)

What days are people looking at going this year?

Edited by Grecian_Patriot

For me it depends on if there is a Bruins game before the Pats game , will probably go back Mon or Tues

For those interested, the Northeastern Huskies hockey team has a home game at Matthews Arena in Boston on Saturday night 12/7 against Providence College (based on their tentative schedule which will be finalized in due course). They take the ice at 7:00pm. I have 3 extra tickets 1st row balcony at center ice. If the Bruins or the Celtics are not playing at the TDGarden and anyone would like to see all (or part so you could meet the crew in Boston for some drinking ;) ) of the game let me know. BTW, the tickets are no cost to you since they are part of my Season Ticket package.

Edited by husky71

Jay I understand what you say about Norwood but do you really want the long drive early on Sunday morning to be there in time for the tailgate & to drive back to Boston in all the traffic after the game ? I'll probably do Norwood Sat & Sun, there's no need to be in Norwood early on Sat & if you do what Warren & I did last year & visit the Pro Shop on Sat it's way less busy than on game day :) Also it's closer to Wrentham Outlets & you know Warren & I do like a shopping spree :)

Thats tue I forgor how much you pair shop !!

I suppose we could treat the saturday as the shopping day.

We could do Patriots place as my mate Graham who stayed in the apartment in London is coming along this year and he will want to visit the hall etc etc

Wouldn't mind doing a proper walk around Patriots place as i've not been to Bass Pro & then do South Shore & Wrenthm ?

As in the past, I need a general idea who will be staying at the Courtyard in Norwood during the weekend of the game (and a few days before and after if necessary) so I can get started with my discussions with the hotel. Anyone who might be thinking of staying at the Courtyard should e-mail me. Any e-mails this early in the process will not be considered a definate commitment until you specifically tell me in your e-mail that it is. If you are definately staying at the Courtyard, please let me know what nights and if you will stay alone or would be willing to share a room (yes, there are 2 beds per room ;) ).

When are nhl and nba schedules usually released? A celtics game would also be nice if they are home that weekend.

When are nhl and nba schedules usually released? A celtics game would also be nice if they are home that weekend.

i would expect either a celtics or bruins game on the friday/sat

Last year the 2012-13 NBA schedule was released on July 26th. In 2011 the 2011-12 NHL schedule was released on June 23rd.

Edited by The Pats

Does anyone know if the hotel in Norwood (which I saw in a similar thread) is close to any public transport stations?

Just asking because I've only driven on UK roads & as it will only be me I does not seem logical to hire a car for the weekend + I know I will get anxious if a big trucker speeds past me

Does anyone know if the hotel in Norwood (which I saw in a similar thread) is close to any public transport stations?

Just asking because I've only driven on UK roads & as it will only be me I does not seem logical to hire a car for the weekend + I know I will get anxious if a big trucker speeds past me

What day are you getting into Boston ?

i would expect either a celtics or bruins game on the friday/sat

Either one would be awesome!

Guest sanj2000

My girlfriend and I will probably be in Boston for around a week from Mon/Tues until the Monday after the Browns game. We will be staying a few nights in a more central hotel in Boston (eg DoubleTree Club Boston Bayside), and then spending Saturday and Sunday nights with you guys at the Courtyard Norwood (Road Trip Hotel).

Answering some of the comments above :

patriotsjay (post 2) : I understand what you're stying, as there looks like there's nothing around the RoadTrip Hotel. However, as this'll be my first R/T, I do want to mingle as much with the UKPats as possible (although is this a good idea? ;-)

husky71 (posts 11 & 13) : I think several of us (me included) will want to see a hockey game, and whether that's the Bruins or the Northeastern Huskies remains to be seen. David has also been talking about this on a different thread, I believe. I have also let Howard know that we would be staying those 2 nights (Sat/Sun) at the R/T Hotel.

BognorPat (post 17) : the R/T Hotel is sort of near Canton Junction and Central Norwood train (not subway) stations, which have direct services to Boston's South Station. If I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road (in Orlando, mind you), then anyone can! Everyone else will be driving on the right, so just do what they do! Girlfriend and I will probably get the train on Saturday from South Station to Canton Junction or Central Norwood and then taxi from there to the hotel. If there's several people doing the same, then it may make sense to split the cost of a taxi from central Boston to the hotel - I guess we can discuss it nearer the day - only 7 months to go!

Hope my garblings helped!

Sanj

I was lucky enough to see the Huskies on my first road trip in 2006.

I would be interested in going again but as tickets are limited I think it's only fair that others get first refusal. If there are any left then count me in.

For those interested, the Northeastern Huskies hockey team has a home game at Matthews Arena in Boston on Saturday night 12/7 against Providence College (based on their tentative schedule which will be finalized in due course). They take the ice at 7:00pm. I have 3 extra tickets 1st row balcony at center ice. If the Bruins or the Celtics are not playing at the TDGarden and anyone would like to see all (or part so you could meet the crew in Boston for some drinking ;) ) of the game let me know. BTW, the tickets are no cost to you since they are part of my Season Ticket package.

I realize it's way too early to make definate plans but .... I have enough influence at the ticket office that I could probably get more tickets if needed. Just food for thought.

Edited by husky71

At this moment in time i'm more inclined to stay in Boston the whole weekend rather than stay at Norwood. Reason is I don't think there is enough around Norwood to do if we spent the Saturday & Sunday there.

Will proberly do a Thursday & fly back on the Monday. There is a flight on the Thursday that leaves around 6ish and land at Logan around 13ish which would be great if the Bruins are at home.

Just make sure it's not KLM/Delta via Amsterdam in the fog ;)

Guest sanj2000

I realize it's way too early to make definate plans but .... I have enough influence at the ticket office that I could probably get more tickets if needed. Just food for thought.

Thank you Howard!

Huzzah! I wanna go! I dooz ya know.

Is anyone going early?

Oooh a Celtics game? Possibly? And what if the Sox make the play offs? Another possibly? I mean, possibility?

Baseball season ends in October. (Sometimes earlier for the Red Sox...!)

Baseball season ends in October. (Sometimes earlier for the Red Sox...!)

"sometimes" ? :P (doing well so far this season though!)

Will be well over by December.

At this moment in time i'm more inclined to stay in Boston the whole weekend rather than stay at Norwood. Reason is I don't think there is enough around Norwood to do if we spent the Saturday & Sunday there. Will proberly do a Thursday & fly back on the Monday. There is a flight on the Thursday that leaves around 6ish and land at Logan around 13ish which would be great if the Bruins are at home.
Just make sure it's not KLM/Delta via Amsterdam in the fog ;)

You raise a good point Jaconelli.

Guest sanj2000

AussiePatriot - as the flight from Oz's east coast to LA is around 14 hours, and then another 6 hours to Boston, you may as well stay for a a few weeks!

Boston is only 8 hours direct from London, thankfully, so you have a looooong journey ahead of you. Look forward to seeing you there!

Long journey eh? A good chance for us to get to know each other. Sing songs, play eye spy etc ;)

AussiePatriot - as the flight from Oz's east coast to LA is around 14 hours, and then another 6 hours to Boston, you may as well stay for a a few weeks!

Boston is only 8 hours direct from London, thankfully, so you have a looooong journey ahead of you. Look forward to seeing you there!

Rory did Boston in 2011 and London for Wembley last year so he should know what to expect. I just don't know where he finds the cash!!

Rory, you must have the best job ever!!

So we're ignoring the predictable Australian = criminal stereotype then? :)

Rory did Boston in 2011 and London for Wembley last year so he should know what to expect. I just don't know where he finds the cash!!

Rory, you must have the best job ever!!

He's not in the fashion industry, considering the wooly hat he was wearing in 2011!! :P

Guest sanj2000

But those silly woolly bobble hats are all fashionable now!

Although I "de-bobbled" the Red Sox hat I bought in December - looks much better now....

Edited by sanj2000

I know it's early days, but anyone thinking of tagging on a few days skiing with this trip?

Skiing is the only reason I'm going

Spending (the)

Kids

Inheritance

:D

I know it's early days, but anyone thinking of tagging on a few days skiing with this trip?

last time we went in November, we tagged on a trip up to Vermont for the start of the Ski season,only a few hours drive. awesome, lots of memories there...

The most recent applicant may be the one to talk to about this..... eh, Mr S Seagull?

:D That was an amazing week SBD.

A few days ski-ing afterwards would be pretty cool. Killington, VT, is by far the biggest ski area in NE, but don't go thinking it's anything like the Alps. Very pretty, low alttitude below the tree-line. They will have tons of canons laying a good base, but it's still early season, so a bit at the mercy of the weather how much will actually be open. It's about 3.5 hrs drive from Boston.

There are many other closer mountains, but these are all single moutnain 1 day ski only. You would have to drive to different moutnains to get any variety. If you want a ski destination, then Killi is the place, or you'll find Stowe about a little fiurther North. It's smaller, but is another very pretty ski destination.

Do we have a ski posse then - Rattie, SBD, Swinnie, Steve ?

A few days ski-ing afterwards would be pretty cool. Killington, VT, is by far the biggest ski area in NE, but don't go thinking it's anything like the Alps. Very pretty, low alttitude below the tree-line. They will have tons of canons laying a good base, but it's still early season, so a bit at the mercy of the weather how much will actually be open. It's about 3.5 hrs drive from Boston.

There are many other closer mountains, but these are all single moutnain 1 day ski only. You would have to drive to different moutnains to get any variety. If you want a ski destination, then Killi is the place, or you'll find Stowe about a little fiurther North. It's smaller, but is another very pretty ski destination.

We were pretty lucky last time going at the end of November to find the snow we did. This year it's almost a couple of weeks later so perhaps not quite so much a lottery. Still........

Happy to consider it if we have a quorum.

A little late to the party however that is me signed up to this years RT after last years absence!

Well done Chris :)

SBD not on the roadtrip this year.. :(

SBD not on the roadtrip this year.. :(

:( :(

Nor Yvette :(