Sign in to follow this  
Swindon Patriot

UK Patriots Superbowl XLVIII Party

Okay, so it's that time of year again to start thinking about this years Superbowl Party.

Long standing members of this site will know that this takes place every year even if the Patriots are not in it.

It's a great excuse (if you really need one) to have a meet up, eat, drink and be merry.

At this point in time, all we are looking for, is for people to register their interest in attending in this thread.

The only definite is the date Sunday 2nd February 2014.

The venue has always been central London in the past, but we are investigating alternatives, possibly Manchester or Cardiff, as well as new venues in London.

I would anticipate that the cost will be similar to last year, so in the region of £30 per person.

Dont forget Hooters in Nottingham (was there tonight with Sunbeam) right next to the train station and has various added "attractions"...

I'm down for this yet again. Although you already know this ;)

Tony and myself are a 'maybe' this year. It will all depend on venue / location and costs to get there as finances are tight next year with the Wembley games and the Dublin trip coming up in 2014. UK Pats SB nights are always great though so will go if we can....

Dont forget Hooters in Nottingham (was there tonight with Sunbeam) right next to the train station and has various added "attractions"...

Checking out online via Google maps - Nottingham train station, Hooters and a Premier Inn are within half a mile of each other so this might be a good / convenient location to travel to. (Added "attractions" are a bonus..!)

If enough peeps are interested I'll happily make some arrangements- Flipper,Sunbeam & myself usually spend the SB in there along with a Cardinal & another Raiduh fan- the more the merrier...

I've had many an entertaining evening in the Nottingham Hooters (good friend used to live in Nottingham) so I could be persuaded by this option... notwithstanding the main reason some might want to go there, putting that to one side I expect there'd be a pretty good atmosphere, and in some respects it's a mid-way location for those UK Pats further north.

Guest dave45

As always, yes please. I would be in favour of somewhere out of London (Nottingham seems favourite at the moment).

I'm up for it as usual. Would be happy to consider an alternative venue. It's all about three things; beer, football and the company. Mind you, Hooters could add a fourth thing(s). ;)

Checking out online via Google maps - Nottingham train station, Hooters and a Premier Inn are within half a mile of each other so this might be a good / convenient location to travel to. (Added "attractions" are a bonus..!)

Much cheaper from our neck of the woods to avoid London if you're thinking of going by train. From Ipwsich, via Ely or Peterborough & Grantham.

Or we could do a car share? I think there's another East Anglian popped up in the last few weeks as well.

I'm not a big fan of Hooters, but a non London party would be a good idea (and theres no shortage of quality ale houses in Nottingham).

I'm interested in the SB party, already looked into flights for that day, once details for venue is sorted out please post,, looking forward to meeting up with the road trippers I met in Boston...

For those potentially interested in a trip to Nottingham here's the Hooters menu...

http://www.hootersnottingham.co.uk/main-menu_70_3.html

and something else... ;)

http://www.hootersnottingham.co.uk/photo-gallery_53_3.html

Let's see what how much interest comes in over the next few days...If there's enough people for a "formal" party I'm happy to help make some arrangments, however if there's just a few peeps interested perhaps best to keep it informal & people can join our table along with Fliiper & Beamer... :)

We're in as usual. Very happy with Nottingham - lots of good pubs and beer there. Mind you, if it's Hooters better not let Pam come.

Hey Patsman 1973, I see that You, Flipper & Sunbeam made it into image 21 on that Hooters gallery :D

Haha, yep that would be me on the right......the one in orange shorts! lol

Seriously though, these are always great nights, and have become part of the tradition of things we (Patsman1973, Sunbeam and myself) do in the NFL season. Thanksgiving at my place, and SB at Hooters. The place is always rammed with NFL fans of all teams, there's tv screens at every turn of your head, and the Buffalo wings are fantastic

Unfortunately, I'll be away skiing this year and so would miss you all if you decided to make Hooters Nottingham your venue this year.

And Patsman, I wouldn't even worry about bringing Pam if she would normally join you. It's not like the place is a strip club or something. They are just nice girls waiting tables

Enjoy your party whatever decide to do

London's easier for me also, only an hour flight then hour to Liverpool Street...

Guest dave45

It seems to me from reading through the posts on this thread that, at the moment anyway, we have two choices (more would be good though) - London or Nottingham. Maybe then this would be the ideal thread to have a poll set up.

London's easier for me also, only an hour flight then hour to Liverpool Street...

Or 45 minutes to East Midlands and 30 minutes on the bus to Nottingham?

London for me. Much easier to get to & more to do in the day than anywhere else

Train to Nottingham's no problem for you - change at Stockport. Agreed that there mightn't be too much to do in Nottingham on a Sunday afternoon, but there's no shortage of really good pubs.

3 1/2 hours train journey compared to 2 hours direct to London. Besides ive already bought my train ticket to London And I know others have.

I was going to ask if we had a Super Bowl party guess this explains it.

I'm a more than likely depending on location.

What do we actually do in London that we can't do in Nottingham? The 2 SB parties I have been to we spent most of the day in the pub watching the football before going to another pub where we had our pre party meet up. Some of us did go to Hyde Park to throw a pigskin around but surely there is a decent park in Nottingham where we can do this. I'm also sure there is a place where we can get some lunch if we are there early enough. I suppose the big difference is the public transport. Having never been to Nottingham, I have no idea what the public transport is like but London does have an underground system that is arguably second to none in the world and it takes you right to the door of the SB&G if that happens to be the location. As for it being easier to get to. I would probably be taking the bus if I were to go and Nottingham is just over half the journey so I certainly wouldn't say it was easier to get to London for me. I highly doubt that I would be going to this party anyway but if I was I would probably go for Nottingham. But then that would depend on the public transport. I would also assume that Hotels would be cheaper in Nottingham than they are in London. Not to mention the price of a pint.

Edited by aldopatriot

Mark, yes i'm up for another SB party, the last one was great so i'm sure the next one will be too ! it will be good to see you guys again for a beer or two ! :)

Notts is a little far for me sorry. 4 and a half hour train journey, 3 changes for about £100. London 1 hour no changes and no fare to pay over my season ticket, also means I can fulfill my Sunday family duties

Or a 3.5hr drive (weather permitting)

This doesn't compare to the epic journeys made by some of our Scottish friends each year, and I do agree that a change of location would be a good idea to help our Northern members, and Nottingham sounds like nice fit, but the difference in time and cost make it too difficult for me.

FWIW I can do Manchester slightly quicker and cheaper. I can also fly there in an hour (+1hr drive) for an extra tenner.

Cardiff, Bristol, Oxford all reachable in a 2(ish) hour drive. To say nothing of Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton or Bournemouth :)

I think I'm fairly impartial, as I've lived in both cities. They're both sods for me to get to - though London's a bit easier. Manchester would be a nightmare.

Both venues are close to railway stations. Both have got airports (East Midlands - Nottm by bus is probably cheaper than getting into London). Both have got good public transport (Nottingham's trams are very good indeed). Both have Travel Inns or similar near the venue.

I think the food in Hooters is better than SB&G - I'm assuming after the last debacle that Bodeans is out of the running. For some, waitresses in vests and tight shorts is an attraction, for others, it's reason alone not to go. Personally, I think it's more than a bit tacky - but no more so than ogling over cheer leaders. But you can't beat SB&G for the number and quality of TV's.

Sadly, for the hockey obsessives, the Panthers are away at Coventry that day, but worth considering in future years (they even wear the same colours as the Bruins).

Nottingham has the advantage of being a small city - so there's a lot within walking distance. There's some good bars and shops in the Hockley area - including a Brew Dog. It's also a good city for real ale pubs - especially those owned by the local Castle Rock brewery, which all have a good choice of guest beers - definitely not at London prices. The Trip to Jerusalem is not Britain's oldest pub, whatever they say (it might not even be the oldest in Nottingham), but is certainly one of the most atmospheric.

I'll go where the majority go, but don't dismiss Nottingham because you don't think it'll be as good.

London for me I know my bearing there and it's easier, never been to Nottingham in my life bar football, I'd get lost pretty much guaranteed...

Why not hold the party in Nottingham and anyone who can't make that can message one another to meet up for a beer and watch the game in London?

I'll be there! Im not fussed where it's held. Moving it up north a bit would probable make a nice change for those that always travel down here.

Sadly i cant make it this year as we are going to the party that the TMF guys are sorting, just to see what thats like. Only £8 and that includes a beer voucher with your ticket and that is in London.

I am now thinking, it has to be London for me or Manchester ! or even Birmingham !

I can try to make it this year since I am more settled after moving here. Nottingham is a bit too far for me to travel though being a single parent. I have my daughter who will have school the next morning. I also have to go into London to change trains to get to Nottingham.

If anyone decides to meet near London for the SB or even would fancy meeting for a drink the night before, I would be able to do that.

I can try to make it this year since I am more settled after moving here. Nottingham is a bit too far for me to travel though being a single parent. I have my daughter who will have school the next morning. I also have to go into London to change trains to get to Nottingham.

If anyone decides to meet near London for the SB or even would fancy meeting for a drink the night before, I would be able to do that.

Warren lives near you.....

Hoping to make an appearance this year. Would prefer London for ease of travelling from the northwest but I'm sure East Midlands is a lovely place to visit.