Sign in to follow this  
Vangelis

2014 Roadtrip - vs Lions - discussion thread (sponsored by Neils)

Hi y'all,

I'm in too - look forward to seeing you after missing last year's roadtrip.

Hopefully there will be a Celtics game to watch at the Garden. Mine will be a flash visit Thursday to Monday :-)

Application window is now closed. All payments due by next Friday.

And I can confirm that the Mighty Niel is making his long-awaited roadtrip return!

Thanky kindly for your help Mandy- payment sent ! :D

party.gifYeeeahhh, back on the RT !!! Gooooooooooo Patssssssss!

is it me being unlucky, or have all the prices for the dates around the RT just jumped up about £70 over the weekend...? :unsure:

-anyone know if any of the main arlines have any "genuine" sales pending...? :)

Neil, its luck of the draw more than anything. I just bought my Mum and Dads flights to visit me in Toronto in August/September. Originally had them at £372 each (1 stop on the way over, direct return) which is an amazing price for that time of the year (normally £530-580) but when I went to make the payment, the price jumped to over £500 each. So I had to change the dates and searched again, ended up getting them for £440 (direct each way) which is still less than I was expecting to pay.

If you want a tip, when browsing flights, use incognito mode on Chrome, this way it doesn't log what you're doing. Often airlines keep track of searches and cookies or whatnot and they adjust prices just because a few people have expressed interest in searching for a particular route / date. I've had this problem with Megabus in the past, see a ticket for $24, search again 5 minutes later after exploring alternatives, and the same ticket is now $32....

Google some articles on tips for booking flights, there's some handy tips out, such as exactly what time of day is best book, and when in relation to your flight is a good time to book. I think google do some form of price tracking on certain routes and keep a history of the price fluctuations too so you can check that out.

Example of one article on timing: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/01/best-time-to-book-a-flight_n_4875266.html

Thanks for the info Danny !

Just wondering about hotels n local travel with a big eye on the traditional Friday night out in Boston at Whiskeys/the PourHouse/wherever (does this still happen?- please tell me it does?!) :D

Just wondering about hotels n local travel with a big eye on the traditional Friday night out in Boston at Whiskeys/the PourHouse/wherever (does this still happen?- please tell me it does?!) :D

yeah we still do friday night

depends how much you wanna spend on acc on boston part of trip. Jamie and i will be staying in the hostel we stayed in last year very cheap clean perfect if you out most of the day

If anyone is looking to split a hotel, my current plan is going from Friday-Friday and there's some good deals on places quite central for the week. Give me a shout.

Neil - def up for sharing. I'm looking at Thu-Mon. Friday night on Boylston is Bruins/Celtics dependent, but there will definitely be a contingent out on the town.

I'll be venturing out to a brewery on the Friday. With a fair number of folks who didn't do Harpoon and CBC last year, a repeat trip there would seem to make sense

I can't get Thursday off, so need to fly in Friday & fancied staying over into Tuesday as remembering previous year's RT's the shock & come down of going home the morning after the high of the Pats games was unbearable! (Plus can watch MNF !) so I'm up for staying on an extra day-- maybe even do a PFW visit if that is happening again this year??

I did PM my old roomy Tupper ref sharing & waiting to hear what he is doing...

Having only been to an MNF game, what is the plan usually hotel wise for the weekend? Just wondering if it is two nights do people generally check their stuff out and take it with them down to the hotel (I assume that we stay Saturday and Sunday nights in Norwood?) or do you just, as I did for the MNF leave an empty hotel room one night in Boston?

Neil its up to you what you do of course. you may find a few stay in boston but come down to the hotel sunday morning but that will be a very early start. we normally leave the hotel at around 9am to get the tailgate going etc

also depends if we have a bruins game sat night so some may stay in boston till then then go down to hotel or even hire a car go to hotel then come back to boston to watch the game.

normally i would stay sat and sunday in the hotel

GP you do realise your tickets are void if scotland votes to break away. im sure we will be able to sell them for you. i would hold off any other bookings air tickets etc i dont want you to lose any further cash

If we don't leave, can I speak about Devolution of some powers from the main Mods then to a Scottish basis? :P

we already have that with Mo

To all Roadtrippers:

From the Hampton Inn: Hi Howard, your group block has been setup in our system and here are the instructions for making reservations:

Reservations for this event will be individual call in. Individuals will be responsible for making their own reservations. All reservations require a credit card at the time of booking. Guests can either call the hotel directly at 781-769-7000 or book on line at www.bostonnorwood.hamptoninn.com using your booking code which is UKP.

For all reservations your GROUP CODE IS: UKP

Contact me if you have any questions.

Neil its up to you what you do of course. you may find a few stay in boston but come down to the hotel sunday morning but that will be a very early start. we normally leave the hotel at around 9am to get the tailgate going etc

also depends if we have a bruins game sat night so some may stay in boston till then then go down to hotel or even hire a car go to hotel then come back to boston to watch the game.

normally i would stay sat and sunday in the hotel

Cheers Warren- Friday night in Boston is a MUST for me (best night of the trip imo, been some magic nights in the past...) the rest of the evenings I'm que sera sera about & happy to go with the flow...a Bruins game would be good tho'...!

The confirmed attendee list is as follows:

Glasgowpat (Neil)

Warren

Rat Noir (x2) (Alex)

Cjohnson (Carl)

DG31 (Paul)

Jamie

Waspie (graham)

dloughran (Daniel/Danny/D-Lo)

Honkforgronk (x2) (Judy)

tupper (dave)

patsman1973 (Niel)

nedpears (x2) (Neil)

Vangelis (Van)

Buddfox (tom)

David (x2)

I really do think we need a few more Neil's on the trip... ;)

Just to make it easy, perhaps we can all just call everyone on the trip Neil.

Neil #3

Hello All,

I have been trying to book a room using the code Howard set up (thanks Howard!!), initially without success - it just kept saying 'The requested rate is not available'. So I started playing with the dates and the code is applicable to Saturday night only stays and the rate is $129 + tax.

We are planning to be there for 3 nights (Friday - Sunday) and the cheapest rate for this period is the advance purchase (non refundable) option and this works out at $101 + tax per night.

If you want to stay Saturday and Sunday night the advance purchase (non refundable) option is $118 + tax per night.

However if you only want the Saturday night then the advance purchase (non refundable) option drops to only $84 + tax per night! (this rate also applies to Friday / Saturday night bookings).

These prices are all based on 1 bed king / 2 bed queen rooms.

Hope this helps and thanks again Howard for sourcing the hotel :D

Neil.

Hello All,

I have been trying to book a room using the code Howard set up (thanks Howard!!), initially without success - it just kept saying 'The requested rate is not available'. So I started playing with the dates and the code is applicable to Saturday night only stays and the rate is $129 + tax.

We are planning to be there for 3 nights (Friday - Sunday) and the cheapest rate for this period is the advance purchase (non refundable) option and this works out at $101 + tax per night.

If you want to stay Saturday and Sunday night the advance purchase (non refundable) option is $118 + tax per night.

However if you only want the Saturday night then the advance purchase (non refundable) option drops to only $84 + tax per night! (this rate also applies to Friday / Saturday night bookings).

These prices are all based on 1 bed king / 2 bed queen rooms.

Hope this helps and thanks again Howard for sourcing the hotel :D

Neil.

as the other neil says friday is a great night out lots of drinks get to know a few of the guys on the trip. staying in norwood will mean your miss out on this.

There's more people going on this years RT than I expected, which is good to see. Still waiting for the Bruins schedule before any travel plans can be finalised.

A re-run of the Harpoon Brewery tour would be good, might even try and turn up on time for it this year. We had to sit in the bar and drink beer while waiting for the others to finish the tour, which was just an awful experience!!

CBC would also be worth a return visit.

The NHL schedule should be released on Sunday. Like others I will wait to see if a bruins game is a possibility before finalising anything.

Hey Warren - I am sure we will still venture out in Boston on Friday night, just don't want to mess about with 2 hotels for a 3 night trip.

Cheers, Neil.

Hey Warren - I am sure we will still venture out in Boston on Friday night, just don't want to mess about with 2 hotels for a 3 night trip.

Cheers, Neil.

you know there are no transport links to norwood except a car

its like going out in central london but staying in reading

I know buddy, I will have a car been over to Mass / NE more times than I can remember.

I'll be getting back to everyone with a new link about making reservations within the next few days.

Edited by husky71

Yes, we did the Penguins last season on the Saturday night, and this year, the Saturday is the Habs! I personally would prefer to go to that game, plus MNF at Whiskeys if I am still in town, with the Bruins-Pens on another screen sounds awesome!!

Also, we are likely to get more people together for the Saturday game than the Monday and thus more of a chance of a group booking. We had at least 12-14 last year?

I am sure tickets will be difficult to come by no doubt, but I will put my name forward for one if we are able to get a group booking. If not, I have a bit of experience in attending NHL games alone now, and don't mind paying a little extra even for a seat in the Gods.

Dad and I would certainly be interested in tickets on the Saturday night :)

Cheers,

Neil.

Booked my flights today, am on the Friday lunchtime Icelandair jobbie and back in on the Tuesday night/Weds AM redeye :)

Booked my flights today, am on the Friday lunchtime Icelandair jobbie and back in on the Tuesday night/Weds AM redeye :)

Been looking at that Icelandair option- my only concern is it arrives into Boston quite late- not much time for a turnaround for the evening's festivities...

depends how much you wanna spend on acc on boston part of trip. Jamie and i will be staying in the hostel we stayed in last year very cheap clean perfect if you out most of the day

Warren- what hostel is that? Just curious as I'm looking for the Friday night

Warren- what hostel is that? Just curious as I'm looking for the Friday night

http://www.40berkeley.com/

a few of us stayed there last year. crap breakfast but rooms were ok unless you shared with someone who likes pringles and using an ipad at 1am

Is anyone planning on being there longer into the week as things stand? I plan on staying until the Friday and going down to NYC for a couple of days to meet the missus who is going to be there as it happens, but not sure if I would as spending Thanksgiving etc in the hotel myself would be a bit boring- was good last time as there was a few of us went out for dinner, I could easily stand my own company for a few days sightseeing Boston etc but thinking mainly for pub times etc...

Is anyone planning on being there longer into the week as things stand? I plan on staying until the Friday and going down to NYC for a couple of days to meet the missus who is going to be there as it happens, but not sure if I would as spending Thanksgiving etc in the hotel myself would be a bit boring- was good last time as there was a few of us went out for dinner, I could easily stand my own company for a few days sightseeing Boston etc but thinking mainly for pub times etc...

Will be travelling back on Tuesday.

Doubt I'd be sticking around either. Friday - Monday jobby for me. If I am even off work that is! I am scheduled off currently but that could change.

Also, if I am off, thanksgiving will be in St Paul, Minnesota this year, with my girlfriend and her friends family, so will need some time home in between to conserve some cash.

I'm looking at Thursday-Monday. I'm going to see the Jesus & Mary Chain in London on Wednesday night, so it makes sense to head straight to a hotel at Heathrow. I'd love to hang around for Thanksgiving, but as I'll be heading to San Diego for a slightly longer trip a fortnight later, I should preserve my leave.

Also, if I am off, thanksgiving will be in St Paul, Minnesota this year, with my girlfriend and her friends family, so will need some time home in between to conserve some cash.

Good God man... an Upper Mid West Thanksgiving. Have you any idea what you are letting yourself in for? You will never have seen so much food in your life.

Good God man... an Upper Mid West Thanksgiving. Have you any idea what you are letting yourself in for? You will never have seen so much food in your life.

Haha I'm definitely looking forward to it, just that schedule I have to navigate. I actually got to meet our friends parents recently when they were visiting in Toronto, and they were great. They said they are feeling the pressure though if we do it make it down as they don't want to disappoint our expectations...but I can't see that being an issue!

New link for reservations.

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/B/BOSNWHX-UKP-20141121/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

Please send me an e-mail once your reservation is completed.

Sorry it took so long but there were some errors in the initial set-up that were finally corrected so I had to wait a bit.

Edited by husky71

Anyone want to share Saturday/Sunday? I can do the booking later on, just give me a shout.

I've pm'ed you. In a word, Yes.

Hey Guys

was just trying to get my head around logistics for saturday night - assuming the Bruins game remains a go-er- is there easy evening/late night public travel to/from Norwood/Boston...? If not, do we have enough cars between us ? - obvs petrol/parking costs to be shared....?

what are people's thoughts...?

cheersmedears

Hey Guys

was just trying to get my head around logistics for saturday night - assuming the Bruins game remains a go-er- is there easy evening/late night public travel to/from Norwood/Boston...? If not, do we have enough cars between us ? - obvs petrol/parking costs to be shared....?

cheersmedears

I would imagine we will go with a similar set up to last year. We drove in to Boston, parked just along from the Park Plaza hotel and jumped on the the T to the Garden. Worked pretty well.

Hey Guys

cheersmedears

I would imagine we will go with a similar set up to last year. We drove in to Boston, parked just along from the Park Plaza hotel and jumped on the the T to the Garden. Worked pretty well.

dont worry about cars it wil be sorted

cheers guys- cool beans, just didn't fancy a late night hike...(unless it involves a pub crawl!)

Sign in to follow this