2015 Roadtrip planning and discussion thread

Fly, Eagles fly, on the road to gillette

Fight Eagles fight, throw a int one -two-three

Get hit low

Get hit high

Lets watch the Eagles get Gronk'd

Fly, Eagles fly, on the road to gillette

E-A-G-L-E-S,

Re-instating this thread for all and any discussions about the roadtrip. Share your flight details, plans for accommodations, requests for room shares and ideas/thoughts about events for during the weekend.

See you in Boston!

Initial thoughts are to fly out Thursday and head back on the Tuesday.

That gives us Thursday night football at Whiskeys, Bruins away games to watch Friday and Saturday, with the TD Garden game on Monday. Probably look to head out to New Hampshire on Friday for a bit of tax-free shopping.

Are there any etiquettes that me and any other RT virgins need to be made aware of before we start making any personal arrangements? I.e. Group meeting up the night before the game, staying local to Foxborough the night before the game, newest member buys the beers, etc?

Are there any etiquettes that me and any other RT virgins need to be made aware of before we start making any personal arrangements? I.e. Group meeting up the night before the game, staying local to Foxborough the night before the game, newest member buys the beers, etc?

the whole trip is unplanned its up to you to make the most of it. you can stay with/who you want. the only thing thats organised is the tickets and the tailgate. we tend to drive down in convoy so we all park together but thats planned a week before and arrange to meet at a hotel at X time. we might meet up for drinks say friday or sat night but thats up to you if you want to come etc

Everyone's free to do their own thing, apart from on game day, when we need to have a certain degree of order, just so that we don't lose people and can make sure that everyone has their ticket. That said, some things stay the same....

Most people stay downtown, or at least a T trip away, until Saturday. There's likely to be a gathering on Boylston - either Whiskeys, Pour House, or most likely both, on Friday night. This usually turns into a late night.

If you want to save a few $, there's usually people willing to share a room.

Most people will ship up to a hotel closer to Gillette (probably Norwood) on Saturday. This is not compulsory - but the convoy will leave from the hotel on Sunday, so you may as well. Saturday will probably not be as big a night as Friday, but some of us will be heading out looking for wings and beer at some stage in the evening.

Beyond that, your time is your own. If there's something that you want to do, then there's likely to be either someone who has done it before, or who wants to join you - keep the ideas coming here.

People generally head back to the UK on Monday or Tuesday, but quite a few of us will hang around this year for the Bruins game on Monday (or 10 cent wings at the Red Hat whilst watching MNF).

You can always spend a day at the Patriots Pro-Shop then a day at the Wrentham Outlets and put yourself in debt. :lol:

I still haven't been to The Hall as it's usually either closed or open limited time on game days, so I wouldn't mind paying a visit there.

Any other takers on that?

Otherwise I like the plans that includes TNF and MNF, and perhaps even a Bruins game if possible :)

Do the Hall and Pro shop on the Saturday, much easier and less crowded.

If you want to do a Bruins game get your name down on the other thread. David gets some cracking seats for us.

Guest stanleymorgan

I went to the Hall on game days 2 years ago...got there about 5 hours before kick off and had no issues at all....well worth doing, plus I think they may be upgrading some of it right now so it may be worth a second trip.

Guest stanleymorgan

Is it essentual to provide a car for the tailgate...or can we get a taxi to the stadium and back from our hotel ?

Is it essentual to provide a car for the tailgate...or can we get a taxi to the stadium and back from our hotel ?

we normally pool together to get to hotel in norwood and then down to the stadium on match day. that will all be talked about closer to the event when we all know where people are staying etc

as game is a late one i might stay in boston and drive in and out on the day via the assigned meeting point

What is the 'normal' length of time that people stay over for? I'm looking at around 8 - 10 days. I want to fit in a Celtics game if possible. I understand some folks will be going to the Denver game the week before too.

What is the 'normal' length of time that people stay over for? I'm looking at around 8 - 10 days. I want to fit in a Celtics game if possible. I understand some folks will be going to the Denver game the week before too.

id say 8-10 days in boston and the surrounding areas at that time of the year is way too long. you can see most of teh city over a long weekend. it isnt that big. the surrounding areas are best seen summer/ fall times.if your gonna go that long go to NYC as well

we normally pool together to get to hotel in norwood and then down to the stadium on match day. that will all be talked about closer to the event when we all know where people are staying etc

as game is a late one i might stay in boston and drive in and out on the day via the assigned meeting point

If you drive in from Boston Warren allow plenty of time me and the wife done it for the Raiders game last year, left early to go no problem but getting back wat a nightmare go for something to eat or something mate.

If you drive in from Boston Warren allow plenty of time me and the wife done it for the Raiders game last year, left early to go no problem but getting back wat a nightmare go for something to eat or something mate.

we are always in the parking lots first so will be at the hotel waiting 4 hours before the game

My plan is to go on the Thursday and return the following Tuesday, staying downtown Boston on Thursday, Friday and Monday nights and in Norwood on Saturday and Sunday. Do the tourist thing in the city and do the Hall either on Saturday afternoon or Monday morning. Hopefully catch the Bruins game on the Monday aswell...planning on staying at the Holiday Inn Express opposite the TD Garden unless anyone knows any alternative decent affordable hotels downtown? Planning on staying at the Hampton Inn aswell in Norwood which I noticed alot of people stayed at for the game last year.

Arrangements have usually been made for the gameday hotel in Norwood with a discount negotiated. Chances are the same will apply this year so don't book up for the Sat and Sun just yet. Other than that it's whatever takes your fancy. People play with different budgets and timetables.

My plan is to go on the Thursday and return the following Tuesday, staying downtown Boston on Thursday, Friday and Monday nights and in Norwood on Saturday and Sunday. Do the tourist thing in the city and do the Hall either on Saturday afternoon or Monday morning. Hopefully catch the Bruins game on the Monday aswell...planning on staying at the Holiday Inn Express opposite the TD Garden unless anyone knows any alternative decent affordable hotels downtown? Planning on staying at the Hampton Inn aswell in Norwood which I noticed alot of people stayed at for the game last year.

boston is so small unless HIE is cheap there is no need to stay that close to td gardens

Arrangements have usually been made for the gameday hotel in Norwood with a discount negotiated. Chances are the same will apply this year so don't book up for the Sat and Sun just yet. Other than that it's whatever takes your fancy. People play with different budgets and timetables.

It's good to get everyone together in Norwood, but it's a late KO, so no need for an early start if you prefer to stay in the city. The Denver crew fly back into BOS on Saturday afternoon, and currenty have reservations at Hotel 140

I'm looking at the Holiday Inn Express as well. I'm living in a Crowne Plaza during the week this Summer, so I should have a stack of IHG points to spend.

We will be asking everyone to meet at the designated hotel as usual to travel in together. This also facilitates distribution of tickets, as we only get them on the day itself, and we are not running around chasing folks up to give them out. More details to follow once arranged.

I'm checking for a group rate - Courtyard and Hampton Inn.

Edited by husky71

It's good to get everyone together in Norwood, but it's a late KO, so no need for an early start if you prefer to stay in the city. The Denver crew fly back into BOS on Saturday afternoon, and currenty have reservations at Hotel 140

Hotel 140 is nice & central, we stayed there back in 2009. Watch out for them moving the goalposts on the payment nearer to your stay. Ours was booked as a pay on arrival, they then emailed a few weeks beforehand and demanded full payment immediately or they would cancel our reservation.

Have to say I agree the hotel for Sat/Sun was great last year better of the 2 for sure , would be my preference if possible

That sounds like a really good plan and something I may look to do also.

Just to clarify about the hotels near to the stadium. Is it common practice that the entire group stay in the same hotel on the Saturday before the game, and the night after the game? I'm totally fine with that, as you can imagine, but obviously I'd like to take in the Boston touristy stuff while I'm there too.

Just to clarify about the hotels near to the stadium. Is it common practice that the entire group stay in the same hotel on the Saturday before the game, and the night after the game? I'm totally fine with that, as you can imagine, but obviously I'd like to take in the Boston touristy stuff while I'm there too.

We usually have a decent sized group there but not everyone - some folks choose to drive in from Boston. You do have to make sure you have transport for this though. So its down to the individual. Some folks prefer to be in the area for the whole weekend.

3 days in boston is more than enough.

staying at same hotel sat sun good way to get to know people etc

3 days in boston is more than enough.

I think you do Boston down Warren. There's easily enough sights, museums, walking trails, shopping, Fenway Park, Duck Boat Tour etc. to keep a first timer entertained for a lot more than 3 days. Even more so in the run-up to Christmas.

I've decided my plan I think. I'm actually going to New York Monday to Saturday with family members. When they leave, I'll be getting a flight up to the hotel where RT attendees will be going and stopping on the Saturday and Sunday. Looking to do Patriot Place and the Hall on the Saturday, spending the night in bars and restaurants with you guys (hopefully!!) before spending the night and going to the game on Sunday. Spend Sunday night in the hotel celebrating a huge win over the Eagles, before flying back on the Monday or Tuesday. What do people think? Does anyone with past experience think that'd be viable?

Also, what is the process for booking the hotel for Saturday and Sunday? Is someone making a group booking that we can pay contributions to, or are we responsible for booking our own room?

I've decided my plan I think. I'm actually going to New York Monday to Saturday with family members. When they leave, I'll be getting a flight up to the hotel where RT attendees will be going and stopping on the Saturday and Sunday. Looking to do Patriot Place and the Hall on the Saturday, spending the night in bars and restaurants with you guys (hopefully!!) before spending the night and going to the game on Sunday. Spend Sunday night in the hotel celebrating a huge win over the Eagles, before flying back on the Monday or Tuesday. What do people think? Does anyone with past experience think that'd be viable?

Also, what is the process for booking the hotel for Saturday and Sunday? Is someone making a group booking that we can pay contributions to, or are we responsible for booking our own room?

There is usually a group rate available at the RT hotel and everyone going on the RT will be emailed the details once they have been arranged. This is done by a Boston based member of the site (husky71). Everybody is then responsible for booking their own room and organising a room share if you wish to reduce the cost still further. As per post #129, husky71 is already on with speaking to the hotels that we have used in the past.

I should know about a group rate at the Hampton Inn in the next day or so.

Guest stanleymorgan

Im no expert but I'm not sure a flight from new York to a hotel in foxboro is possible unless you have your own helicopter....i think a train or bus would be your best option.

Im no expert but I'm not sure a flight from new York to a hotel in foxboro is possible unless you have your own helicopter....i think a train or bus would be your best option.

Love it

That would be 1 hell of a long day & not in the slightest easy , I doubt anyone has ever done it before. (people have travelled to & from NY before but as far as I know only by coach or train)

If you fly from NY to Boston there is no way you could do it without hiring a car !!

You would need to get from Logan Airport down to Foxboro & that is I would think about an hours drive depending on traffic.

Once you get down to Foxboro to the group hotel you would again need a car to get to Gillette which is normally about a 15 minute drive.

Other than a car there is no way to get from Boston down to Foxboro , trains only run to the stadium on game days , you can get trains to nearby towns but then you would need to get taxis if you don't hire a car.

Looks easy to do on a map as it doesn't look far but believe me it's not an easy thing to do especially on a Saturday

Me n Tupper trained it from Boston to Norwood last year.....then walked to the hotel...(it took bleddy ages, dragging our bags n cases down along the hard shoulder of Route 1 :lol:) -- we didn't know it at the time but the hotel do a courtesy bus- just ring them up & they pick you up from Norwood station for free...

..goes without saying that we took the (free) courtesy bus back on the return trip...

As suggested; flight from NY to Logan, Bus/T to Back Bay, train to Norwood Junction, courtesy bus to the hotel is probably the best time/cost combination.

As suggested; flight from NY to Logan, Bus/T to Back Bay, train to Norwood Junction, courtesy bus to the hotel is probably the best time/cost combination.

Or take an early Amtrak train from NYC Penn Station up to Back Bay station, then train to Norwood junction, courtesy bus to hotel. It's then a taxi to Gillette for Patriot Place and the Hall.

A lot depends on where you're staying in NYC. We were at the Hotel Pennsylvania bang opposite Penn Station, so it was very easy and avoided the cost of transport back out to JFK or Newark to get a flight, plus its nice and relaxing trundling up the east coast.

Are there any NY/Providence flights? Providence is way closer than Logan to Gillette.

Guest stanleymorgan

If the Celtics are playing at home on the Saturday night, would that change anyone's plans, or do we need to commit to the group hotel for the Saturday and Sunday in the next few days ?

I think the schedule comes out sometime in August.

Stanley Morgan, My exact dates in Boston depend on the Celtics schedule, it won't change my hotel plans though, as there if currently no events scheduled at the garden between nov 27th and dec 7th they could play anytime. Although the celtics did not play a single home game on a Saturday last season, so that may continue this season.

Gronkspike, I've travelled countless times between NY and Boston, using all three methods And will do so allot more come September. It is doable both with and without hiring a car but without be prepared to spend most of your day on public transport.

Plane to Boston and hiring a car will be the quickest and easiest way to do it but also the most expensive and it is not good value for money considering you only save about an hour and a half by flying on the NY-Bos side of the journey.

Using the Amtrak Regional/Acela express is probably the most comfortable way to do it but the regional train is slower than the bus and Acela is only about 30 mins quicker.

Bus is the cheapest and offers very good value for money, 5-25$ from NY-South station Boston, if you cannot hire a car for whatever reason my advice would be to get the bus on the Saturday and spend the day with the RT crowd and go to the pro shop/Hall on the Monday because bostons commuter rail sucks on a weekend, it's allot better on a weekday and plenty of trains go to Walpole/Mansfield.

If you can hire a car bus it to providence, hit the hall/pro shop on the way to the RT hotel.

Apologies to everyone else who the advice doesn't apply to for the long winded post.

Just to add my 2 cents in, I did the reverse last year I bussed it to NYC from Providence, it was only about 3 hours and was, I think, about $50. Used a company called Peter Pan and it was to the Port Authority in NYC. I would agree with Mandy who suggests that getting from Providence to Gillette/Norwood would be easier and quicker than from Boston.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.