mrs laz

2015 Roadtrip planning and discussion thread

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11864556/Icelands-WOW-Air-revives-99-flights-to-the-US.html

Anyone not booked their flights yet - - or planning on going to Boston at another time.

And can someone please tell me what setting I have changed. The only way I can post the link was click the BBCode mode button which then allowed pasting in text mode, and then click it again to get the options of text. Same happens when I want to include a quote from a previous posting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/11864556/Icelands-WOW-Air-revives-99-flights-to-the-US.html

Anyone not booked their flights yet - - or planning on going to Boston at another time.

Nice headline price - and it was easy enough to get a 96 quid outbound flight (a day before I was planning to travel). But 40 more to get home - and then - big whammy - 78 quid for luggage, and it suddenly doesn't look like much of a saving against flying directly with BA (currently available as a Finnair code share for 359).

Guest stanleymorgan

Looking for some clarification on whats expected from road-trippers for game day.

We are staying Saturday and Sunday at the Hampton Inn Norwood (5 people) and ideally we would like to travel to the game using taxi's to avoid the difficult decision of who gets the short straw and can't drink alcohol.

Is that ok or is it a requirement to take cars to help transport stuff for the tailgate ? (We are of course happy to contribute to any additional cost that anyone who does to a car has)

That question does seem to come up quite a lot, as there are 5 of you I would presume you will be hiring a fairly big car to get down to Norwood.

Normally we all meet up & share cars to travel down to the parking lot for the tail gate.

Paul & Boris generally have all the stuff for the tailgate in the truck they travel down in so that's not needed.

However getting a taxi there & back will probably be almost impossible, you may well get a taxi there (its about a 15 min drive from Norwood) but I'm guessing that it itself will be expensive but getting back you will really really struggle to get a taxi.

There is only 1 route in & out of Foxboro & the traffic is terrible, they normally restrict traffic flow in 1 direction to get cars away so for a taxi to get in will take ages & then getting out again well in my opinion I just don't think you would get a taxi firm to agree to it unless they charge you an absolute fortune.

Having a few beers before the game is what most folks do & maybe 1 or 2 during the game , too many & you are just running off to the crowded toilets all the time.

After the game we normally wait at least an hour or 2 for traffic to clear unless all of you are planning on getting completely plastered driving really is the only sensible option

Guest stanleymorgan

Thanks for the reply. If there is no requirement to take the car I think we can find a way to get there....2 years ago the taxi's dropped us off about a mile away, where the road blocks first kick in, and in that instance we got the train back to Boston after the game but I guess we could have got a taxi from the same place after the game if required.

I will do some research to see what our options are.

Thanks for the reply. If there is no requirement to take the car I think we can find a way to get there....2 years ago the taxi's dropped us off about a mile away, where the road blocks first kick in, and in that instance we got the train back to Boston after the game but I guess we could have got a taxi from the same place after the game if required.

Bear in mind that part of the reason we travel together is to have the group together for the tailgate - this is where you will receive your tickets as we only collect them from the ticket office on the day itself. It is your responsibility to be with the group to get the tickets - we will not have time to be pursuing you around Patriots Place before the game to give you the tickets!

I think you may also find you will have to walk back after the game - taxis will not come anywhere near Gillette after the game due to the traffic gridlock. It takes a good 30 minutes to drive about 1 mile. So be prepared to walk back.

Actually this is a good reminder that we need to start the car discussion - we are a group of 30 this time (25 if Stan and friends decide to make their own way). So - who is thinking of renting a car and is willing to take passengers to/from the stadium?

REMINDER: those who travel as passengers in someone else's vehicle will be expected to cover the $40 parking charge at the stadium. Driver does not pay. It would also be a nice gesture to buy the drivers a drink at some point over the weekend to say thanks :-)

Volunteer drivers so far:

Alex (ratty): 5 places total (already including David + Alex x 3)

Mark/Mandy (laz) - 5 places total (already including M&M, Fulham Chris/Zoe)

Warren (probably!) - 5 places (already including some/all of Denver crew)

Guest stanleymorgan

Bear in mind that part of the reason we travel together is to have the group together for the tailgate - this is where you will receive your tickets as we only collect them from the ticket office on the day itself. It is your responsibility to be with the group to get the tickets - we will not have time to be pursuing you around Patriots Place before the game to give you the tickets!

I think you may also find you will have to walk back after the game - taxis will not come anywhere near Gillette after the game due to the traffic gridlock. It takes a good 30 minutes to drive about 1 mile. So be prepared to walk back.

Mandy, we are very keen to join the tailgate (thats the main reason we decided to come on this organized UKPatriots trip) and any other events that may be planned over the weekend. It is purely a situation where we would all like to kick back and have a few beers pre and post game and it will be difficult to expect 1 of the 5 to abstain.

I am looking at some options like walking to Walpole Station after the game then getting the train to Norwood (I dont fancy walking all the way to Norwood) or more expensive options like hiring a limo for the day, If we decide to hire a limo and the game time stays at 4.25pm I will need to give them the times we want picking up at the Hotel and then the return journey. Would 9.30am pick-up and then return from Gillette at 9.30pm be about right ?

Does your limo plan involve the limo staying at Gillette while you are at the game? Or will he come back to collect you? If he stays, the parking lots at the stadium dont open until 4 hours beforehand. For the pick-up time afterwards, a 4.25 game is normally done by 8pm ish, so you would have time afterwards to go in the ProShop and finish the tailgate.

(and I didnt mean to imply that you werent interested in the tailgate just have to be very clear about ticket collection :-) otherwise we would have the worry of making sure everyone has their ticket and we dont want that on game day )

Guest stanleymorgan

I need to see what the limo company suggest on whether they stay in the parking lot for the game...i guess they do this type of trip quite often so should be able to advise. I contacted one today and am waiting to hear back.

What time will the people driving their own cars from our group be heading off to Gillette?...I will just co-ordinate with that I guess.

For a 4.25 game we would look to leave in our little procession from the hotel at 12 midday.

Guest stanleymorgan

Looked at the Limo option but to do the round trip it needs to be booked for the whole day to stay in the parking lot which increases the cost massively from around $200 to $1,000....so that option is out for my party of 5..they do have a 20 seat stretch Hummer though....just in case another 15 people are interested in spliting the cost....what we really need is Gronk's party bus.

mandy im sure the denver lot will be in a car guessing ill drive maybe 2 cars

I know you're one of the New masters of the universe Warren, but how you going to drive 2 cars :P:lol:

Ah, the power of a comma and how it can change a sentence!

Admittedly I personally would not be very keen on driving and my pal whose coming doesn't drive, so we had hoped we could hitch a ride with someone. If it helps we would be more than happy to contribute to the hire of the car if anyone was considering it but didn't want to front up the cash for the car hire on their own, and of course we'll pay for the parking and enthusiastically embrace the responsibility of keeping the driver's thirst quenched.

We do generally take as few cars as possible and give lifts etc - however this will of course depend entirely on how many volunteer drivers we get. By my reckoning we need a couple more. This will probably get resolved closer to the time, so don't worry too much now..... we haven't left anyone behind yet :-) and hopefully this wont be the first year we have people walking to the stadium.

Just a thought but the Norwood Hotel has a courtesy mini bus which if I recall correctly seats about a dozen. Might be easier negotiating a trip to the Razor rather than back due to the traffic but worth considering asking if all else fails...

I'll have the car, but given my fondness for the socializing, I might need as volunteer to drive it back from the razor

Edited by Chelseafan71

i doubt we have ever not had enough cars.

we seem to all cram into a few cars its normally 5 to a car the drive is easy its a straight rd from the hotel

Watching this thread I'm really gutted not to be coming but my thanksgiving week in orlando was already booked so it'll have to be next

Year for me :-(

If someone wants to provide a game ticket & airfare, I'll happily drive, pay the car hire, fuel and parking :D

Don't forget the hotel room.

If someone wants to provide a game ticket & airfare, I'll happily drive, pay the car hire, fuel and parking :D

Don't forget the hotel room.

I'd happily save someone 50% of the cost of a room ;)

Don't forget the collision damage waiver. Very important if you're going to drive!

Don't forget the collision damage waiver. Very important if you're going to drive!

:lol:

Is anyone planning on visiting the hall on the Friday or Saturday? And wouldn't mind me tagging along? I may have a car depending on whether I can stop by NY to pick it up, my schedule currently doesn't allow for that but it is subject to change.

I'm so jealous reading these threads about your road trip, I was in hospital in June 2015 and didn't check the Forum for a while and missed the deadline :(

​I am currently trying to convince my wife that our 30th wedding anniversary next year should be another visit to Boston :)

When I last went out to Foxboro we sat directly opposite where your tickets are at the same level and had a great view!

I will endeavour to make next years trip and I'll keep a eye out for any planned events in London as I've not yet meet any of you yet.

Go Pats!

Is anyone planning on visiting the hall on the Friday or Saturday? And wouldn't mind me tagging along? I may have a car depending on whether I can stop by NY to pick it up, my schedule currently doesn't allow for that but it is subject to change.

I imagine we would probably plan to do the Hall and Pro Shop on Saturday. We'll be going to the RT hotel first before heading down. I'm sure there will be a lot of the crew wanting to see the 4th trophy so I can't imagine you'll have a problem getting there with someone.

I plan on visiting the Hall, Patriot Place and the Pro Shop on the Saturday afternoon.

I'm reliant on public transport as I'm staying Boston a few days then getting the Amtrak/Taxi into Norwood on Saturday Morning. I want to utlise the quiet Saturday rather than cram it all in on Gameday.

With regards to the whole driving thing, I'm not a big drinker, but I also won't be hiring a car. I'll happily drive someone else's car (I'm serious) if people are willing to accept that and be OK with it.

I'm willing to give up drinking on gameday for the good of the group.

With regards to the whole driving thing, I'm not a big drinker, but I also won't be hiring a car. I'll happily drive someone else's car (I'm serious) if people are willing to accept that and be OK with it.

We might be able to come to an arrangement. I'm likely to have a car, but am big, a drinker, and a big drinker, so won't be going anywhere near the drivers seat on game day. I'll be driving up from Boston on Saturday afternoon - and will probably do the Hall and the Pro Shop along the way.

Finally got around to booking flights and hotel. I'm on Delta 62 from Heathrow on Thursday 3rd at 9.25. Booked into the Holiday Inn Express near Boston Garden on Thu and Fri and Mon and Tue. Open to offers if anyone wants to go halves on the hotel on any of those nights.

Flying down to Houston on Wednesday morning.

As Warren said, thanks for volunteering. We are just getting rough numbers for now so we are not left without transport on the day (hopefully!)

Guest stanleymorgan

My party of 5 wont be staying at the Norwood Hotel now....we cancelled and will travel down from Boston early on the day of the game...probably get the Hall around 11am and do the tour before meeting up with everyone in the parking lot when you arrive. It does mean that we will have to get the train back after the game which only gives us about 30mins post match before departure.

Just a general question.... as this game has been put in the 4.25pm kick off (I assume to give the TV stations a marquee game for the late afternoon slot), does that mean its unlikely to be moved into the Sunday night position ?

It could still be flexed, but I doubt that it will be. I would also check that you can get into the Hall on the morning of a game day. It always used to be closed to the public prior to the game on gamedays as it was used by the Patriots for corporate hospitality prior to kick-off, but was usually open after the game.

Guest stanleymorgan

Currently the Hall is due to open from 10am up to kick-off but it is subject to change nearer the time.

stanley morgan - I don't think the game-day lots will be open that early. They are supposed to be open 4 hours before game-time but lately they have been open 5 hours before game-time. 5 hours would only be 11;30 or so. Good luck. I would call the Patriots to see where you could park without a problem that early and then go to the game.

Guest stanleymorgan

We are getting a taxi from Boston on game day morning...so no need to park... then getting the train back after the game

Hi guys!

We are closing in on Game Day, Baby :D

Where are we on the car discussion, I haven't seen any activity regarding that for a couple of weeks now...

I will have a car but I'd rather not drive if possible. But if I'm going to have someone else drive the car, I believe I need to add that to the contract at the time of rental.

Is it time to start zeroing down on this topic?

Cheers,

Jonas

Guest stanleymorgan

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this year's Road trip game could be hats and t-shirt for the afc East winners.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that this year's Road trip game could be hats and t-shirt for the afc East winners.

With UKPatriots at Denver and Houston as well as the Eagles game, I think it's likely that some of us will see the division clincher.

Hi guys!

We are closing in on Game Day, Baby :D

Where are we on the car discussion, I haven't seen any activity regarding that for a couple of weeks now...

I will have a car but I'd rather not drive if possible. But if I'm going to have someone else drive the car, I believe I need to add that to the contract at the time of rental.

Is it time to start zeroing down on this topic?

Cheers,

Jonas

Again, I'm happy to drive someone else's car if they are willing to let me.

However, not too sure people will be OK with a near 27 year old with only 1 year's driving experience driving them back inebriated in a foreign country in heavy traffic.

I'm not a big drinker, so I'll be sober during and after the game.

How many people are looking to visit the Hall and Patriot Place on Saturday afternoon? I'm reliant on public transport/taxis so if anyone was willing to drive me from the hotel that would be amazing.

Also, anyone with knowledge of the situation, can you let me know prices and duration of public transport links from Boston to the hotel?

Also, anyone with knowledge of the situation, can you let me know prices and duration of public transport links from Boston to the hotel?

Depends where you are staying. If it's in Norwood, there is the MBTA commuter rail that goes from Boston Back Bay/South Station to Norwood Central. Myself and another UKPat, Paul, took it last year going the other way. The hotel shuttle dropped us off at the station, so maybe you can call the hotel and see if they also do pick ups, which I am sure they will.

It takes about 45 minutes, and costs around $7.00. The hotel is about 8-10 mins drive from the station, IIRC.

Depends where you are staying. If it's in Norwood, there is the MBTA commuter rail that goes from Boston Back Bay/South Station to Norwood Central. Myself and another UKPat, Paul, took it last year going the other way. The hotel shuttle dropped us off at the station, so maybe you can call the hotel and see if they also do pick ups, which I am sure they will.

It takes about 45 minutes, and costs around $7.00. The hotel is about 8-10 mins drive from the station, IIRC.

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Norwood with the group. I'm staying in a hotel near Boston Logan and travelling from there to the Hampton in Norwood on Saturday morning.

So I'm looking to get a train from Boston Logan to Norwood on Saturday 5th December around 10am.

What are the links like there, and how easy would that journey be?

Appreciate your help

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Norwood with the group. I'm staying in a hotel near Boston Logan and travelling from there to the Hampton in Norwood on Saturday morning.

So I'm looking to get a train from Boston Logan to Norwood on Saturday 5th December around 10am.

What are the links like there, and how easy would that journey be?

Appreciate your help

It's not an easy journey by any stretch of the imagination, as the commuter rail only runs every two hours on a Saturday. And a cab would set you back about 80 bucks.

In my opinion on a Saturday the best way to get to Norwood without a cab or a car would be as follows. Shuttle from terminal to Airport T, get Airport T blue line towards Bowdoin >change at State T to the orange line> take the orange line T towards forest hills> get off at forest hills and walk to the upper busway(30 second walk from the T stop> get the 34E bus > ask the driver to stop at Washington street and railroad avenue> get the hotel shuttle to pick you up. It's quite a journey. About an 1 hour 25 mins journey time

The commuter rail option is get the silver line(Which is actually a bus) to south station and the commuter rail (Franklin line) to Norwood Depot not Norwood Central but they're every two hours on a Saturday so if you miss it you're in for a long wait. About 1 hour 5 mins journey time.

I've done the State>Norwood trip a few times since September and it's not a bad journey as my description makes it sound. Will cost $4.80 for that entire journey with a Charlie ticket and 3.95 with a Charlie card.

In response to your other question about the hall I'll be visiting the hall on the Saturday, So I'll join you on public transport if I can't catch a lift off someone. (I was planning on driving up from NY but won't be back in NY before the RT weekend now so won't be able to pick my car up)

Edited by Johnson03

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.