Sign in to follow this  
jackgregory1993

Travel to Boston

Hi everyone...

I'm new to the forum and couldn't find anywhere more relevant to post this so thought i'd start a new thread. Please let me know if I should have posted this elsewhere...

Does anyone have any recommendations for airlines in terms of travel to Boston?

I've seen a few people discussing Wow Air on old roadtrip pages but I just feel very suspicious about them given that the prices are so reasonable compared with other airlines. Does anyone have any horror stories about travelling to see the Pats or travelling to the US in general?

I'm a young guy so making it out there to see the Pats would represent a huge financial outlay.

Any advice you might have will be gratefully received.

Go Pats!

depends where your flying from

all airlines have deals on but early season is more expensive than mid season onwards for obvious reason

I've done a few routes with various airlines and never had any major issues. One time I went via Amsterdam with KLM and my bag was left there, that was in 2008. I had it delivered to the hotel 24 hours later. I've also flown KLM a bunch of times since and I actually like and would recommend their service. I wouldn't go out of my way to book them, I tend to just book the best price.

I know one or two others have had bags go missing or had delays with fog, but that's more down to bad luck than anything else. I always recommend packing at least some clean underwear, a tshirt and a toothbrush in your hand luggage for such an event as your bag being delayed.

From what I understand, WOW are just a budget airline. I suspect the flight wouldn't be as comfortable as Virgin/BA/KLM etc and some drinks/snacks/headsets/pillows/blankets might not be free, but if you save a good chunk of change booking with them, I'm sure you could stick out a 6-7 hour flight.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Are you looking at going with anyone or sticking it out allone? Just thought I would ask as 21 is legal drinking age their and they are VERY strict on this.

I am seriously considering Norwegian Air, direct flights and really reasonable pricing! depending on the game picked of course!

You mean you are taking hold luggage? How long are you going for? a month?

Some serious packing education needed both in terms of how to pack and what to take. We did Friday to Wed morning back on carry on for our road trip.

Some serious packing education needed both in terms of how to pack and what to take. We did Friday to Wed morning back on carry on for our road trip.

Some people like to wear fresh, clean clothes though.

I did.

12 years a global purchasing manager, around 1000 flights, with hold luggage lost twice in the first two months taught me how to never take liquids (shaving sticks and hotel toiletries) and to pack enough clean stuff for the trip and cut down on bulky stuff by wearing it.

The only time I came unstuck was a trip to Rotterdam and to the best Italian Trattoria in the city (a Proposito next to the station. Tell them you are a friend of Mr Manchester) when the top came off a 1 litre can of olive oil as it was being poured onto my pasta and 10ml went on the pasta and the other 990ml went on my jumper and one and only pair of trousers. And with a credit card, I can always go and get a new pair, except the meeting started at 8:30 the next morning. :o

Edited by PaulsaidThesearemypeople

Icelandair are well worth a look for the flights too if you're leaving from a place you struggle to get direct flights from. Very cheap but very comfy planes, friendly staff and a good amount of checked baggage for free.

I second that Iceland air option, very good value from Heathrow with a very short stopover between flights.

Or buy a few things from the Pro Shop

We did - about $500 dollars worth including 2 shirts with Roberts on the back - which confused the heck out of the locals - who? When did he play

We did - about $500 dollars worth including 2 shirts with Roberts on the back - which confused the heck out of the locals - who? When did he play

Also depends on time of year and length of trip. I did just hand luggage last year to Denver. It was 2 nights and a cold weather game which I managed fine with.

If its a September game, 3-4 nights to Boston, you could potentially get away with only hand luggage providing you don't want to buy much while you're there. If you're a first timer, I suspect you would want to play it safe and have the choice of fresh clothes to wear and the option to purchase what you want without fear of running out of space/weight allowance. Also, buying travel sized things like shower gel/deodorant is a rip off (though I personally use refillable travel bottles as a way around that).

I do always pack a spare t-shirt and change of socks/boxers in my hand luggage when travelling with hold luggage. If your bag is lost, it's normally back with you within 24 hours so they I feel are the essentials.

Shower gels and shampoos from the hotel? Probably cheaper to buy in the US and dump them than buy the mini ones in the UK. Shave foam is always the problem so shaving stick and brush - but even that has been searched for by Manchester Aiport so now that goes in the 1L bag (along with inhalers if you use them).

Also agree - always pack 1 day of clothes in the carry on. My bag from Manchester via Heathrow and JFK finally caught up with me at Halifax NS by 8 pm the next night. The overnight stuff allowed me to still look decent in the meetings (and after that it was Toronto, Minneapolis, Chicago, Houston, Columbus OH, Savannah, New York and then back to Europe, so sometimes even I take hold luggage!)

Small pro tip, if you go via Dublin you clear customs before you fly, meaning there's no waiting at Logan and you walk straight off the flight, depending on arrival time it can save you hours.

2014 I waited almost 3 hours to get through, I was supposed to meet you guys for the Bruins game, it wasn't the 1st time I'd waited and every time I've gone back I've gone through Dublin and it's been a breeze, even if it saves you an hour at Logan, it's still better to walk straight off the plane and out.

Toronto has a US customs too. Been a nice change travelling from here rather than the UK. But as Warren said, never had any major delays doing it in Boston.

I must have been unlucky Danny, a friend of mine commutes to Boston once a month and swears by going via Dublin.

Toronto has a US customs too. Been a nice change travelling from here rather than the UK.

That was where the Customs official asked me where I was from. And when I said London he thought I meant the one in Ontario...

Only delay I've ever had at Logan is waiting for Jamie Macrae to arrive on the flight from Manchester via Chicago (cheapskate, going the long way round) ;):D