Sign in to follow this  
mrs laz

UPDATED 2016 Roadtrip vs Bills - event thread

All discussions for Roadtrip weekend

Confirmed attendee list (subject to payment being received in full)

• Andy Wales (2 tickets)

• DG31 (2 tickets)

• papalaz (2 tickets)

• David (2 tickets)

• Jamie (2 tickets)

• Hanks (2 tickets)

• cjohnson (1 ticket)

• yabba (2 tickets)

• seasider (2 tickets)

• mabc01 (1 ticket)

• Boris (1 ticket)

• nedpears (4 tickets)

• chelseafan (1 ticket)

• d-lo (1 ticket)

Confirmed attendee list (subject to payment being received in full)

• Andy Wales (2 tickets)
  • DG31 (2 tickets)
  • papalaz (2 tickets)
  • David (2 tickets)
  • Jamie (2 tickets)
  • Hanks (2 tickets)
  • cjohnson (1 ticket)
  • yabba (2 tickets)
  • seasider (2 tickets)
  • mabc01 (1 ticket)
  • Boris (1 ticket)
  • nedpears (4 tickets)
  • chelseafan (1 ticket)
  • d-lo* (1 ticket)

Always need an asterisks next to my name! (Work pending!) :P

A note to all roadtrippers: we may have to ask for additional funds to cover the ticket costs, depending on the exchange rate when we pay the Patriots. You may thank the Leave vote for this.

No action right now - we will let you know in July if additional funds are needed. Should be no more than a few quid each ticket - however, if anyone is not comfortable with this, just let us know and we will refund your original deposit and take you off the list.

No worries Mandy, I imagine we will have to factor in a rise in cost for everything associated with the trip now...

Can I come, can I come??? I'm happy to pay whatever

Yep - fingers crossed - last date for deposit payment is this Thursday (for those who aint paid yet!)

Yep - fingers crossed - last date for deposit payment is this Thursday (for those who aint paid yet!)

Mandy - i just need to confirm your paypal address - i sent a couple of pms - not sure if you didn't get them or i didn't receive the reply

I see the Revs are at home on the Saturday night so it would be fun to be around Patriots Place while the game is on. If folks are interested we could look into booking a space in CBS Scene for some dinner and drinks, I am sure that some of the tables come with a view of the hallowed turf!

Dad and I took in a game the night before the Ravens game in 2010. It was actually a good night so if anyone wants a footy fix then there is also the option to watch the game from inside the stadium, tickets are pretty cheap - around the $30 mark.

Howard and Tim (Husky and Hanks) are sorting a Saturday night get=together - any updates, guys?

Thanks Mandy.

Also any news on the hotel for the nights in Norwood? It was the Hampton Inn for the last couple of years however I think Carl suggested that the Holiday Inn would also be worth a look. I have been keeping track of prices and everything has gone up quite a lot since the 2014 road trip. It can't all be linked to the exchange rate, but it's certainly not helping maters! Would be good to have a group rate deal...

Get-Together Saturday night, October 1st: After checking out various venues we have decided on the "British Beer Company" in Walpole. There is a separate function room above the restaurant. I will be visiting the BBC next week or two to finalize the details. The get-together will consist of a buffet of foods consisting of probably Pasta, Fish, Chicken and Steak. The cost has not yet been determined. Drinks will not be included in the cost of the buffet so each attendee will be responsible for their own. There will be wait staff and bar staff available at all times. If the date is no longer available, I will look into other venues.

What should we consider as a reasonable cost per person?

Hotel: I am waiting for the contract from the Hampton Inn. Once it is signed, I will let everyone know the rates and how to make reservations for our room block.

Edited by husky71

Looking at their menu, main courses are around $15 if that helps people decide what they're willing to pay for a buffet (the alternative would be everyone just ordering from the menu I suppose)

Thanks Howard for the update, all sounds good to me!

If the place is in Walpole why can't we get a hotel n Walpole rather than Norwood? would save on driving on the Saturday & Sunday if it is within walking distance.

Can you walk from Hampton Inn to the BBC?

Can you walk from Hampton Inn to the BBC?

3.8 miles down Route 1, so probably not walkable without getting arrested for jaywalking!

At the moment with the pound doing poor against the dollar I really don't want to stay in a hotel that's going to cost more, so if there is any motels in Walpole that are suitable (as in cheap) I'd rather stay there rather than a hotel that will cost too much & we would hardly stay much time in anyway.

To be honest (thanks Howard for looking at this) do we really want to go to a British theme pub? I can go to one any day of the week..

why would a group of brits wanna go to a brit pub in boston. far better laces to go. if i was going i prefer to go into boston than do bbc

The Holiday Inn I mentioned earlier is just under a mile away from the BBC and walkable with sidewalks etc, I asked the manager when I was there what their group rate was ( out of interest to compare to what we got at the Hampton, not to step on anyone's toes) and they said for 10 kings/double queen rooms 179 dollars a night plus tax is their standard group rate, so it may be worth giving them a shout if the Hamptons room rate has went up significantly. But even if we are staying at the Hampton and want to do BBC there is solid Uber availability in the Walpole/Norwood area.

I hate to agree with Warren but even as a Brit living abroad a British themed pub is not really appealing, Although I still would attend the ge together if it is at BBC

As a Brit living on this side of the pond, a British themed pub is just what's in order ! :lol:

To be fair to British themed pubs in America, most still have an Americanised feel to them, and it's not like they do Carling and Foster on draught. Come on guys!

Unfortunately booked hotel in Boston until Sunday morning so won't be able to attend, sorry guys.

As a Brit living on this side of the pond, a British themed pub is just what's in order ! :lol:

To be fair to British themed pubs in America, most still have an Americanised feel to them, and it's not like they do Carling and Foster on draught. Come on guys!

I've been to BBC, and it's "British" theme is pretty thin. Yes; they've got a few Fullers beers on tap as well as the usual US selection (actually, quite a good craft beer selection). And they offer Fish & Chips, Shepherds Pie and Cornish pasties on the menu. But on the whole, it's the same beer and burgers you'll find anywhere else.

Just to confirm - payment has now been made to the Patriots for our group of tickets. We will be in rows 1 and 2 of Section 327.

Roll on 2nd October!

Tim and I have decided on the BBC. I have signed the Function Agreement with the British Beer Company for the get-together on Saturday night. I've seen the room and it is fantastic. The bar is in the room and in the hallway are rest rooms. It also has its own entrance. Maybe we can look into having one or more "Special Guests".

I am waiting to hear from 3 more hotels regarding their group rates.

Tim and I have more decisions to make and will do so shortly and let everyone know what the options are.

Tim and I have decided on the BBC. I have signed the Function Agreement with the British Beer Company for the get-together on Saturday night. I've seen the room and it is fantastic. The bar is in the room and in the hallway are rest rooms. It also has its own entrance. Maybe we can look into having one or more "Special Guests".

I am waiting to hear from 3 more hotels regarding their group rates.

Tim and I have more decisions to make and will do so shortly and let everyone know what the options are.

just book a table in the bar lets not comit too much to these people. we wont want to have to spend X amount.

the idea is to have a drink and dinner together not have a formal meal.

just need a a few table and people will buy from the bar. this is way over the top reaction to something that happened last year all because we had no meetup in boston like we have had in the past

do not sign anything you dont know how many numbers that will turn up

Howie, as Warren says, I hope you have not made any financial commitments on minimum spend etc. Also - BBC may be fine for US-based members, but for those of us from the UK, may not be the best choice....... it's kind of a busman's holiday. Any other choices we could consider?

howard i know you have done work on this which im sure that people who are going are really grateful. i see 16 tickets have been sold for the red sox game on friday night

surely its most sensible to have a meetup on friday night either before or after the game at the pourhouse?

im not sure on peoples plans but i would guess most if not all will be in boston on friday night so doing then would be a better option with more choices etc. anyone joing the group on sat can meet at the hotel and go out close to hotel in norwood.

Don't you think that the decisions should be made by the people who's holiday it is ? I appreciate what you doing but a massive sit down meal isn't really one for me.

Couple of reasons, a few tables would be fine, we can walk around more, mingle and get to know people easier. As there are a few people on this years trip that are new & won't know that many people. also we will have a very early start in the morning so a big meal the night before isn't a great idea.

Would just rather is kept informal rather than a formal type thing.

I am not going to look for a venue for Saturday night. I'm not, nor will I ever be into local bars so when you all arrive, the saturday night arrangements are yours to make. At this point I have no idea what hotel I will recommend but I'm sure there will be bars nearby. The Hampton Inn has yet to respond to e-mails or voice messages and I'm waiting on 3 other hotels, which I'm sure will most probably be as expensive as prior years, if not more. If anyone wants anything much less expensive than whatever is decided, those RTers are on their own.

Edited by husky71

howard the point i have been trying to make is that this evening seems all too formal. there are a few bars accross the road from the hotel. one thing i would hate is to come accross to have a holiday and sit in a room and not meet local people maybe even fellow patriots fan in a bar when you are stuck away. the issue last year was nothing was organised which i didnt think was an issue as this trip is what people wnat to make of themself.

im hearing a few guys want to go see the revs play so its looking like under 10 people who would go to the dinner.

lets think about friday night in boston like we have done for years and do that. 16 people are going to the red sox game that will almost be everyone.

i can put a call into fred to get the guests at the tailgate like we had last year. this will all mean there is less stress on you to organise anything. it also means both you and ben as well as paul and boris and friends etc can enjoy the tailgate with any guests we can arrange.

thanks again for all the work done we do appreciate it all

The plans for the trip look like they have evolved so it may help to add some background on what we've been working on here.

Many people will remember the discussion after last year's event where people reflected on some aspects of the road trip that some weren't happy about. People wanted a meeting before the game and we can't walk in to a restaurant the night before the game and ask for a table for 30 so something would need to be organised. Howard pursued this: talked to some venues, checked what's available, worked out whether they will be suitable. Some places that would seem an ideal location ruled themselves out - CBS Scene at Patriot Place is an obvious spot but they will just lump us in with everyone else which means we would be scattered around trying to find tables in a busy restaurant. Lots of places are like this, so if we want more than a vague plan to meet at a bar on Saturday night, we're left with the option of hiring a room.

Of all the places available, the British Brewing Company was deemed the best option as it's close to Foxboro in a self-contained space with everything we could need. Not sure where the talk of a formal meal came from; the plan was for a buffet with people responsible for their own costs at the bar. That would be cheaper than most restaurant meals and give everyone a chance to mingle and talk. The venue really is very good and doesn't fit the faux English pub stereotype of horse brasses and Watney's. It's a mid-range American restaurant with a good selection of food and drink.

Not surprisingly, hotels and venues around Foxboro make a lot of their money on game weekends. The only way to make any sort of plan with a restaurant is to put down a deposit to hold the space or someone else will take it so that was done. This doesn't mean we have no choice as the deposit is refundable but without some sort of commitment, the venue won't hold the room. Having a booking also gave us the option to reach out to other visiting out of state fan clubs and the Patriots organisation to make for a combined event and that was planned to be the next step. Can't do that without having a place to meet first.

In the meantime, some structure has already come together. Neil has done a fantastic job on booking Red Sox tickets with people looking forward to a trip to the Pour House afterwards. It's always packed after a Sox game but that's part of the fun so perhaps that should serve as the pre-game meeting.

There doesn't seem to be much consensus on hotels either so perhaps that's better left open. Some people may want to enjoy themselves in Boston through to Sunday morning or head out closer to Foxboro on Saturday. Getting a block room rate is really difficult around game time and the hotels want someone to visit them in person as they get endless phone and email requests. Blocks are usually ten rooms or more so there's no point in requesting it if people are going to be scattered around the area.

For reasons of time and geography, Howard has put in a huge amount more work than me on this with visits to hotels and restaurants. I'm genuinely sorry that his efforts aren't going to pay off but hopefully everyone will still get the most out of their trip to Boston. If it is anyone's first time in New England, you'll absolutely love it here and will want to come back. Hopefully, you'll be telling everyone on future trips about the time you saw Jimmy Garoppolo destroy the Bills on a happy weekend in Foxboro.

- Tim

Edited by hanks

Tim

the point both you and howard have missed is that you went away found a venue which was great. its seems that with all the work taken place hasnt looked at what people will be doing around the trip. the need for this meetup has been taken way by what seems like 80-90% of the people meeting up for the baseball on friday. friday has traditionally been the meetup night in boston where i expect 90% of people if not all to staying even if they are not going to the baseball. this means there is no need for saturday night. last year was an exception to the rule due to a large group of people going to denver game and not turning up till sat evening. this year is different

i am sure lots of people will be spending sat night down in norwood. lets all pick the same hotel like we have done in the past. this is all that needs to be organised. after people meet on friday night they will all know each other better and sat night which due to an early start on sunday will be a quiet night going to the bar opp the hotel or even at BBC. this buffet makes it all too formal which this trip has never been on the times i have attended. if i was going i might go to the MLS game a good chance to do the pro shop prior to game day so numbers for the buffet might be as low as 10 then people will say why didnt we just get a table at X etc

again i would thank both you and howard but this trip is diff to last year etc

thats just my view im not sure what others think. maybe a email to the people going incase they dont visit the forum in offseason might get a better judge of whats needed

It does seem that the sentiment for everyone to meet following last year's trip has changed but it's a moot point now.

As for hotels, Howard has made contact with some of them and most are very slow to reply. Last year's was the Hampton Inn in Norwood and they are quoting rates for a twin room on October 1st of $197.10 per night if a booking is for ten rooms or more. Regular price is $219.10. All rooms have free breakfast and wifi.

I have no idea how to contact people outside the forum so this is the place for anyone to express an opinion on whether they want to use this hotel again. Nothing is booked or held so prices are subject to change.

Just want to say that I appreciate everyone's efforts in the organising going on behind closed doors, on both sides of the pond. If I am able to attend, I will be going to the Red Sox game and Saturday night I suspect will be in a hotel in Norwood. Wherever people are heading on Saturday night I will be happy to follow suit!

It does seem that the sentiment for everyone to meet following last year's trip has changed but it's a moot point now.

As for hotels, Howard has made contact with some of them and most are very slow to reply. Last year's was the Hampton Inn in Norwood and they are quoting rates for a twin room on October 1st of $197.10 per night if a booking is for ten rooms or more. Regular price is $219.10. All rooms have free breakfast and wifi.

I have no idea how to contact people outside the forum so this is the place for anyone to express an opinion on whether they want to use this hotel again. Nothing is booked or held so prices are subject to change.

Tim

many is going to send me the emails of all of the group going. im going to find out who is doing what etc where they have booked rooms etc

the hotel room seems great last year. tell howard i will drop him a line when i get the mail out and responces. people need to book rooms soon as they will sell out

thanks

Thanks Howard and Tim for your efforts with this. Hopefully the hotels will get back to you soon.

Thanks Howard and Tim for all the work you have put into this. I am really happy to go with the flow here and I really hope we can get together in some shape or form on the Saturday night.

Hotels wise the Hampton Inn works fine for me, but again will go with the concensus.

On a side note I am happy to help coordinate the car situation. I will have a car and there will be 3 spare seats for the trip to Gillette...

just so everyone knows mandy has been approached by the arizona patriots fan club who are at the same game as us.

they want to do a joint sat night party as well as tailgate.

details when agreed will come out soon.

i think a bigger group with other pats fans makes a lot more sense and more fun

I've had some contact from the New England Patriots Fan Club of Arizona, one of the biggest fan clubs in the US who also have an annual road trip to Foxboro. This year they're going to the same game as the UKPatriots.

Many of them attended our pregame parties for the two Wembley game and would like to link up with the UK road trippers either on the Saturday night or tailgating. Since I'm not on this years trip (though I will be going to the NEPFCA party in Arizona the night before the Cards game), I've put them in touch with Mandy.

OK - what Warren said.

Just to confirm, it was Graham that put our groups together - thanks Graham!

Thanks to Howard and Tim for their efforts, We will only need the hotel for Sunday night and are happy to go with where the majority choose.

Just to confirm, it was Graham that put our groups together - thanks Graham!

Nice one Graham!

A joint party sounds like it would be a lot of fun; it would be good to meet more fans as well as catching up with the other roadtrippers.