Sign in to follow this  
Stileo

Gameday Questions

Morning everybody,

So my partner and I have successful brought tickets to the Patriots vs Seahawks came on November the 13th. Our accommodation is in downtown Boston. With this being our first trip I have some queries which are likely common knowledge to seasoned visitors to Pats games.

Most importantly, with this being a evening kick off 8:30 kick off ET. How long will the journey from North End, Boston to the Stadium take? Currently google maps say a hour, however with game day traffic I imagine that number will rise.

Also we constantly hear about tail gating at games. Without any knowledge how can we get involved in this? I'm almost asking what is the etiquette to get involved? Bring beer and hope for a trade off with food?

Lastly, we're hiring a car for the journey to Foxborough. Am I required to pre pay for parking or is this purchased at the gate?

Thanks in advance.

Liam.

Hello Liam,

During the recent UKPatriots road trip we all tailgated with Tailgater2000, they were very welcoming and I am sure they would welcome you too! Get in touch with them via facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/tailgater2000/

They were a really good bunch and the food was amazing, we put money in the donations jar for the food but had our own supply of beer.

I would suggest getting to Foxborough in time for the parking lots opening their gates, which is 4 hours before game time. So if you made it down there for between 4 and 4.30pm you should be good. The traffic gets worse the closer you get to game time so I would say that an hour should be enough time if you are aiming to get there for the opening of the parking lots which honestly is your best bet as Route 1 becomes one giant car park as kick-off approaches.

Tailgater 2000 always has the same spot in parking lot P10 section 52, if you aim to park in that same section then you will drive past them just after you pay for your parking ticket ($40 cash at the booth). You will get directed where to park and then just walk back over to them and introduce yourselves.

I am sure others will have some additional input for your trip, but this should get the ball rolling!

Have a great trip and bring back the W,

Neil.

I would agree with most of what Neil has said above, except, being of an overly cautious nature, I would allow a little more time to get to Gillette from downtown Boston, especially if weather looks like it may have any effect on your journey. It may seem that you are getting to the stadium awfully early, but you will find plenty to do, eat & drink (be very careful with alcohol if driving). Wrap up warm and be prepared to do some more tailgating after the game as the other option is to basically sit in traffic and crawl back to Boston. make the most of it and soak up the atmosphere of Sunday night football.

I would agree with most of what Neil has said above, except, being of an overly cautious nature, I would allow a little more time to get to Gillette from downtown Boston, especially if weather looks like it may have any effect on your journey. It may seem that you are getting to the stadium awfully early, but you will find plenty to do, eat & drink (be very careful with alcohol if driving). Wrap up warm and be prepared to do some more tailgating after the game as the other option is to basically sit in traffic and crawl back to Boston. make the most of it and soak up the atmosphere of Sunday night football.

Ditto what Mark just said sitting in traffic to get back to bean town is unreal

I should have mentioned the tailgating continues after the game (good point Mark and Cheshunt Pat!). The Tailgater2000 folks had chowdah and more excellent bbq goodies after the game and they kept on going until the local state troopers started to clear the parking lots :lol:

By this point Route 1 had cleared up and it was a good drive back to the hotel.

Hello Liam,

During the recent UKPatriots road trip we all tailgated with Tailgater2000, they were very welcoming and I am sure they would welcome you too! Get in touch with them via facebook:

They were a really good bunch and the food was amazing, we put money in the donations jar for the food but had our own supply of beer.

I would suggest getting to Foxborough in time for the parking lots opening their gates, which is 4 hours before game time. So if you made it down there for between 4 and 4.30pm you should be good. The traffic gets worse the closer you get to game time so I would say that an hour should be enough time if you are aiming to get there for the opening of the parking lots which honestly is your best bet as Route 1 becomes one giant car park as kick-off approaches.

Tailgater 2000 always has the same spot in parking lot P10 section 52, if you aim to park in that same section then you will drive past them just after you pay for your parking ticket ($40 cash at the booth). You will get directed where to park and then just walk back over to them and introduce yourselves.

I am sure others will have some additional input for your trip, but this should get the ball rolling!

Neil.

Neil, thanks for such a comprehensive response. I will make make contact with that Tailgater2000 and tell him you sent me his way. Thank you for also letting me know about the parking charges. Now we can avoid a last minute scramble for money whilst at the gate.

All very smart ideas regarding avoiding traffic, thanks ever so much.

Yes, I'm well aware that it will be November and with this being my first time driving in America I was going to be overly cautious and leave myself plenty of time.

I plan on visiting The Hall in Patriot Place before the game but when I go to buy tickets the tours appear to end at 2pm. If the stadium parking doesn't open until 4pm (aka 4 hours before the game starts) What are my options?

Hello Liam,

Neil.

Neil, thanks for such a comprehensive response. I will make make contact with that Tailgater2000 and tell him you sent me his way. Thank you for also letting me know about the parking charges. Now we can avoid a last minute scramble for money whilst at the gate.

All very smart ideas regarding avoiding traffic, thanks ever so much.

Yes, I'm well aware that it will be November and with this being my first time driving in America I was going to be overly cautious and leave myself plenty of time.

I plan on visiting The Hall in Patriot Place before the game but when I go to buy tickets the tours appear to end at 2pm. If the stadium parking doesn't open until 4pm (aka 4 hours before the game starts) What are my options?

No problem about the information - if you have any more questions just shout!

If you want to do the Hall on the day of the game then I would suggest heading down to Foxboro in the morning as it closes down for corporate activities as you get closer to game time, hence the 2pm last admission. You can park at Patriot Place i.e. the shopping mall for free during the morning into the afternoon and then move your car once the game lots open at 4pm ish. The link below provides details of the parking and also maps...

http://www.gillettestadium.com/parking

http://www.patriot-place.com/

The red section north of Route 1 (marked 52 on the map) is where the Tailgater2000 folks are based. In the morning and early afternoon you can park for free in the yellow lots (the one marked 23 on the map is most convenient for the Hall). Then just transfer to one of the paid lots as they open (don't stay in the yellow lot as you will get clamped / towed!) If you end up in a lot on the same side of the road as the stadium fear not (i.e. lot 3 on the map) as there are crossings to allow you to get over Route 1 where the tailgating is).

Alternatively after doing the Hall you could always head back up Route 1 for a couple of miles to the Walmart to pick up the obligatory Reese's Cups and Hershey's Kisses before coming back down Route 1 and being on the correct side of the road to get into the P10 entrance where the Tailgater2000 folks are.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me if you need any additional information.

Cheers,

Neil.

Being a Sunday night, and an early arriving crowd (presuming the weather is good), the lots might just open a bit earlier than 4pm.

It's happened a couple of times in the past and could happen again. If the weather is good I would allow 2 hours from Boston, but

if the weather is snowy or freezing rain, coming from Boston might be 3+ hours. Obviously the weather will be a factor.

Liam - My son and I have traveled from Randolph, MA only 18 miles away and over our 25 years as STMs some games (especially

recently) have taken us as long as an hour. Massachusetts drivers don't do well once precipitation hits the windshield. The

opening of the parking lots is not controlled by the Kraft Organization but by the Massachusetts State Police. The amount of the

back-up on Route 1 is more often than not the determining factor.

As far as the Hall of Fame is concerned, plan on a minimum of 4+ hours. I would suggest going on the Saturday before the game

which would serve 2 purposes: 1) you will have the necessary time to see all of the exhibits (make sure to take in the movie) and

2) it will familiarize you with Boston drivers and the route to Gillette Stadium.

Have a great time.

Keep me posted about your plans.

Howard

Edited by husky71

Having done Saturday morning @ HoF and spend $500 in the shop (when it was $2 = £1 almost) then I 100% agree with the wisdom of Husky.

Take the advice of a sage like local. And love the comment about MA drivers :D - and he used to drive things with flashing blue lights so has more experience than most!

And also from our experience of an evening game (or any game for that matter) - don't expect to be out of the lot until 1am and not into Boston until 02:30. So sitting in the lot tailgating after the game is a necessity and plans need to be made. And the security do try to kick you out of the stadium as they want to go home.

Edited by PaulsaidThesearemypeople

small tip dont shop in proshop go to olympic sports in patriot place. they had a lot nicer stuff. TBH the proshop has gone downhill a lot and needs a rethink if i was patriots organisation. i cant imagine trying to only shop on match day there

small tip dont shop in proshop go to olympic sports in patriot place. they had a lot nicer stuff. TBH the proshop has gone downhill a lot and needs a rethink if i was patriots organisation. i cant imagine trying to only shop on match day there

I'm feeling the same way about the Hall. OK; I've been four times, but a lot of it is feeling tired - especially the film. Yes; it's beautifully shot, but it's written from the perspective of an underdog team who shocked the sporting world 15 years ago. A new film, celebrating the dynasty since then, is long overdue.

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I'm looking to go to the Rams game. I'm doing a trip by myself to also see the Bruins and Celtics. Just a few questions, which would be of massive help:

- Has anyone tried the train from Boston to the stadium and do they know how much it costs?

- Any recommendations on pubs and clubs in Boston?

- Anyone else going to the game who may fancy a beer?

Cheers,

Kyle