Sign in to follow this  
husky71

Staying In London

Are the Flea & Firkin' pubs in Manchester still open? I went to one of them about 10 years ago and got disgustingly hammered. Of course that was after arriving at Manchester airport at 7AM and spending the day touring the city, so I was only awake for about 30 hours (can't sleep on a plane).

Are the Flea & Firkin' pubs in Manchester still open? I went to one of them about 10 years ago and got disgustingly hammered. Of course that was after arriving at Manchester airport at 7AM and spending the day touring the city, so I was only awake for about 30 hours (can't sleep on a plane).

The Footage and Firkin (previously known as Flea and Firkin) is still going. This was the one that was previously an old-fashioned cinema and still retains all the original cream/green tiling and "Grosvenor Picture House" sign outside. It's on the outskirts of the university campus so pretty much a student dive these days.

Can please send me the address of Bodeans Pub in London?

Thanks.

Bodeans is more a restaurant than a pub; ie most people go there for a meal rather than a drink. The Soho branch (10, Poland Street) is the one we use for the Super Bowl parties. There have been some reports that food quality isn't what it once was, and they're getting fewer great reviews. I'd probably go for The Diner or Dollar Grill at the moment; I've had good meals at both in the last few months.

The Footage and Firkin (previously known as Flea and Firkin) is still going. This was the one that was previously an old-fashioned cinema and still retains all the original cream/green tiling and "Grosvenor Picture House" sign outside. It's on the outskirts of the university campus so pretty much a student dive these days.

One of very few remaining. The Firkin pubs were a great idea, ahead of their time. A chain of microbreweries, brewing to common recipes across the chain, with local "special" beers; each pub having a slogan around the fauna on the bar sign ("I've Flounder Great Plaice for a Firkin Pint", "Phoenix My Pint I'll Firkin Thump him" etc). Spent much of my student life drinking in them. Including one glorious day when we did all 14. This was before all day drinking, so we were in Derby at opening time, then Bristol, back to Camden at 5.00 - and all 12 London pubs before closing. Sadly the chain was bought by one of the mega-pub groups, who found running breweries to be too high maintenance, so they were nearly all converted into identikit fake "Oirish" pubs.

Dont know london all that well ... which is closest to wembley ??

The only thing worth eating close to Wembley is curry.

Dont know london all that well ... which is closest to wembley ??

The one in Westbourne is very near Paddington station, which shares the Bakerloo line with Wembley Central.

Too bad about the "Fleas". I went to the one near the university and got a t-shirt that said, "Pissed? I'm Firkin' legless!" My buddies here got a kick out of it.

Sorry, I haven't looked all the way back through the thread, but beerintheevening.com is a site I find pretty reliable for pub reviews. I don't go into Central London much these days, but there are a couple of parts of London I'd recommend for a decent crawl- one is the SE1 area (South Bank and Borough). It's a bit more authentically London than the West End. The Market Porter is a really good pub:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/43/...r/London_Bridge

The other area worth exploring is the City, which refers to the financial district and the old, historical City. The huge majority of the pubs are only open Monday to Friday, but there are some excellent ones. If you want real history, check this one out:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/15/...se/Fleet_Street

Sorry, I haven't looked all the way back through the thread, but beerintheevening.com is a site I find pretty reliable for pub reviews. I don't go into Central London much these days, but there are a couple of parts of London I'd recommend for a decent crawl- one is the SE1 area (South Bank and Borough). It's a bit more authentically London than the West End. The Market Porter is a really good pub:

The other area worth exploring is the City, which refers to the financial district and the old, historical City. The huge majority of the pubs are only open Monday to Friday, but there are some excellent ones. If you want real history, check this one out:

Market Porter, Rake, Wheatsheaf, Globe makes for a decent crawl!

As i put on another thread, for some reason I struggled to get on here recently.

For the younger guys who are out of London. I'm happy to lead an all-night crawl through clubs after the pubs. Fair enough, we may be a bit worse for wear on the Sunday, but who cares about sleep when the Pats are in town.

Definitely! We live saaaaf of the river,so it's easier for us to get home. They're slightly less touristy as well. Wait, I'm recommending these pubs to tourists? :o

When my wife and I were in Glasgow we went to a pub across from our hotel. We no sooner sat down when some local dipstick started giving us a hard time, accusing us of drinking up "my beer", coming into "my pub" uninvited, and putting down America in general. I went up to the bar and asked if that guy was the owner and was told he's a regular; to which the guy said (in a VERY heavy Glasgow accent) that he was indeed a regular and had rights and a say about who was going to patronize "my pub". I asked to see the owner, who came out to listen to my complaints about being harassed unnecessarily and all we wanted was a drink. He told us that we were just "one-timers", that the guy was a regular, and we didn't like that we could "F**k off!" So with discretion being the better part of stupidity, and not wanting to spend time in "The Queen's B&B", we left. Later that night we decided to give the local pub life one more shot, found another place, and spent a terrific evening with a bunch of locals who bought for us all night. We finally left when at the time bell but I tossed a bunch of cash on the table which they promptly grabbed up, thanked us, and ran for the bar like it was going to be their last drink ever.

The moral being, there's good and bad everywhere you go; you just want to avoid the bad if you can.

BTW: I've never had a problem in an English pub.

There are plenty of idiots in English pubs too, and a handful of stupid racist landlords. I've got some English friends who've had problems in Scottish pubs, but they're the exception. What is a pub if it can't offer a welcome to everyone? Drink up, and get out. I've had some great nights out in Scotland - especially on rugby weekends - which have ended up with everyone, Scots, English, Irish whoever, buying each other drinks and having a good sing. One memorable night in Edinburgh's Oxford Bar saw a friend from North Dakota stood up on a table belting out "Country Roads". Happy days.

Great story Dan...very true a lot of people bad mouth a place over one problem they have had failing to realise they may have just had one bad experience .

When my wife and I were in Glasgow we went to a pub across from our hotel. We no sooner sat down when some local dipstick started giving us a hard time, accusing us of drinking up "my beer", coming into "my pub" uninvited, and putting down America in general. I went up to the bar and asked if that guy was the owner and was told he's a regular; to which the guy said (in a VERY heavy Glasgow accent) that he was indeed a regular and had rights and a say about who was going to patronize "my pub". I asked to see the owner, who came out to listen to my complaints about being harassed unnecessarily and all we wanted was a drink. He told us that we were just "one-timers", that the guy was a regular, and we didn't like that we could "F**k off!" So with discretion being the better part of stupidity, and not wanting to spend time in "The Queen's B&B", we left. Later that night we decided to give the local pub life one more shot, found another place, and spent a terrific evening with a bunch of locals who bought for us all night. We finally left when at the time bell but I tossed a bunch of cash on the table which they promptly grabbed up, thanked us, and ran for the bar like it was going to be their last drink ever.

The moral being, there's good and bad everywhere you go; you just want to avoid the bad if you can.

You have to admit though Waspie Rugby fans are in general a more friendly bunch ....if i walk into a bar and its full of rugby fans i feel safe for some reason but when i walk in and its full of football fans i dont feel that same safety . and i know above i posted about generalisations but this is over quite a few periods of time

I had a bit of an argument with a pub landlord in Wales. Me and my college mates went in for a few drinks whilst on a field trip there. We walked in and it was reasonably empty. Everyone was speaking English but when they realised we were from England ourselves they started speaking to each other in Welsh.

Much to my astonishment the landlord then started talking to us in Welsh :S Obviously he didn't want us in his pub but we were pretty annoyed at how rude they were all being. If they had a problem with us I would rather they said it to our faces and in our language.

Anyway...it all got a bit heated and ended up in a huge shouting match over the bar. A mate of mine then started slating the Welsh back...bad idea :/ When the landlord reached for the phone to call the police we promptly left lol.

Couldn't believe the nerve of the guys though. We went to the next pub we came across and everything was fine. Had a few drinks and a great laugh with some of the locals. One of the best nights out I'd had in a while!

I had a bit of an argument with a pub landlord in Wales. Me and my college mates went in for a few drinks whilst on a field trip there. We walked in and it was reasonably empty. Everyone was speaking English but when they realised we were from England ourselves they started speaking to each other in Welsh.

Much to my astonishment the landlord then started talking to us in Welsh :S Obviously he didn't want us in his pub but we were pretty annoyed at how rude they were all being. If they had a problem with us I would rather they said it to our faces and in our language.

Anyway...it all got a bit heated and ended up in a huge shouting match over the bar. A mate of mine then started slating the Welsh back...bad idea :/ When the landlord reached for the phone to call the police we promptly left lol.

Couldn't believe the nerve of the guys though. We went to the next pub we came across and everything was fine. Had a few drinks and a great laugh with some of the locals. One of the best nights out I'd had in a while!

Unbelievable! You go to another country and YOU want THEM to speak to you in YOUR language? I wonder why a lot of people find the English arrogant :rolleyes::P

Unbelievable! You go to another country and YOU want THEM to speak to you in YOUR language? I wonder why a lot of people find the English arrogant :rolleyes::P

Everyone should learn to speak the language of the country they are going to. At least make an attempt to do so.

A few years ago I traveled with my team to Quebec, Canada (where French is the predominate language) once to play in an Ice Hockey Tournament. I tried to brush up on my French before I went. I had 4 years of French in hight school but that was 20+ years earlier and I hadn't used my French since. When we got to a restaurant and began to order our meal the waitress and I began to 'speak' French to each other about the tournament and ordering our food. After a few minutes she told me that I was saying everything incorrectly in French, and she was right, buit we got a good laugh over it. From that point on she willingly spoke English and we got along just fine. At the table next to us was another group of hockey players who didn't speak a bit of French and she played dumb about understanding English, eventhough they heard her speak English to us. I asked her why she gave the other group such a hard time regarding the language she told me that at least I tried to communicate with her in her native tongue and she appreciated that. She purposely gave the other group a hard time because they didn't even attempt to speak in French.

I have a listing of British English/USA English quirky language differentials (I won't begin to say who has the quirks :P ) and I'm trying to learn all I can. It won't be perfect, but I'm sure going to try to speak your language when I get there. B)

I have a listing of British English/USA English quirky language differentials (I won't begin to say who has the quirks :P ) and I'm trying to learn all I can. It won't be perfect, but I'm sure going to try to speak your language when I get there. B)

http://www.effingpot.com/

Lets hope you pick the right language, I'm begining to hear more and more being spoken here that I haven't got a clue about. <_<

In Britain we refer to sport teams and clubs in plural, so it's mainly "Manchester United are looking to sell player X". Then of course I try to say, when referring to the NFL, "New England is going strong". When the Pats are playing over here I'm probably going to get very confused!

In Britain we refer to sport teams and clubs in plural, so it's mainly "Manchester United are looking to sell player X". Then of course I try to say, when referring to the NFL, "New England is going strong". When the Pats are playing over here I'm probably going to get very confused!

But surely you'd say the Patriots/New England are going to trade for...wouldn't you?

Everyone should learn to speak the language of the country they are going to. At least make an attempt to do so.

A few years ago I traveled with my team to Quebec, Canada (where French is the predominate language) once to play in an Ice Hockey Tournament. I tried to brush up on my French before I went. I had 4 years of French in hight school but that was 20+ years earlier and I hadn't used my French since. When we got to a restaurant and began to order our meal the waitress and I began to 'speak' French to each other about the tournament and ordering our food. After a few minutes she told me that I was saying everything incorrectly in French, and she was right, buit we got a good laugh over it. From that point on she willingly spoke English and we got along just fine. At the table next to us was another group of hockey players who didn't speak a bit of French and she played dumb about understanding English, eventhough they heard her speak English to us. I asked her why she gave the other group such a hard time regarding the language she told me that at least I tried to communicate with her in her native tongue and she appreciated that. She purposely gave the other group a hard time because they didn't even attempt to speak in French.

That's the thing - if you make an attempt to speak their language they will appreciate it and help. For me it's the proper thing to do. It's the arrogance that "everyone should speak English" that bugs me.

But surely you'd say the Patriots/New England are going to trade for...wouldn't you?

New England/Detroit is, Patriots/Lions are, do you see? I think this is right, it's what I've observed in the many years following American sports.

That's the thing - if you make an attempt to speak their language they will appreciate it and help. For me it's the proper thing to do. It's the arrogance that "everyone should speak English" that bugs me.

That can only go so far really, Welsh is such an obscure/difficult language to speak that it's nigh on pointless for English people to learn. Even most Welsh people don't!

I've never been to the Basque country but I imagine, they'd at least partially respect the fact that I can speak Spanish. With Quebec it is different though, seeing as French is such a widespread language that it's very useful to know.

That can only go so far really, Welsh is such an obscure/difficult language to speak that it's nigh on pointless for English people to learn. Even most Welsh people don't!

My apologies up front to Andy, but if he thinks I'm learning Welsh, he's got another thing coming. ;)

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but i'm thinking of hitting the bright lights of Londinium next weekend and an hotel that caught my eye was the Apex City of London Hotel near Tower Bridge. Can anybody give me an idea of this area and if it would be suitable for a bit of sightseeing/shopping of a weekend? Thanks :)

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but i'm thinking of hitting the bright lights of Londinium next weekend and an hotel that caught my eye was the Apex City of London Hotel near Tower Bridge. Can anybody give me an idea of this area and if it would be suitable for a bit of sightseeing/shopping of a weekend? Thanks :)

The City is a bit dead for shopping at the weekend, but it's a good location, and the sightseeing is good - Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St Pauls, Tate Modern, City Hall all close at hand. Saturday morning, if you fancy a foodie treat, head for Borough Market. You may bump into a celebrity chef or two, and you can always round it off with a pint at the Market Porter.

The City is a bit dead for shopping at the weekend, but it's a good location, and the sightseeing is good - Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St Pauls, Tate Modern, City Hall all close at hand. Saturday morning, if you fancy a foodie treat, head for Borough Market. You may bump into a celebrity chef or two, and you can always round it off with a pint at the Market Porter.

Thanks Waspie for the info :)

Thankfully I scouted London when I was down with the missus for the weekend in July, found a really nice pub up the West End.

Flights now booked, leaving Glasgow on Friday at 13.15 and Stansted on the Monday at 19.30. The princely sum of £32, does ye.

Any other Scottish based Pats heading down on those flights?

Flights now booked, leaving Glasgow on Friday at 13.15 and Stansted on the Monday at 19.30. The princely sum of £32, does ye.

thats cheaper then coach travel from hull, so i thought i'll try my local airport, 1,000 cheapest via amsterdam lol

coach it is then on the saturday morning

It's very early I know, but if anyone hears any word about when and where the Pats will be training when they get over here, please pass the message on, as I'm definitely going to try and get some time off work to go see the team prepare for the Bucs!

Thankfully I scouted London when I was down with the missus for the weekend in July, found a really nice pub up the West End.

Good deal mate.

I haven't booked mine yet, but for ease (for getting pipcked up down there) I think I will be flying from Glasgow to Terminal 5 :o

It's very early I know, but if anyone hears any word about when and where the Pats will be training when they get over here, please pass the message on, as I'm definitely going to try and get some time off work to go see the team prepare for the Bucs!

This topic came up opn NFLUK and I responded that finding out where the Patriots are staying is one thing, getting to see them training during their stay in London will be another story. It's not Training Camp where the public is invited to attend. The NFL will be very security minded over in the UK. As a STH for the Patriots, I couldn't even find out when they were leaving for or returning from an away game "for security reasons". Good luck to you ar anyone else, who is not otherwise personally invited by someone in the Kraft Organization, to get a chance to watch any practices. The Hotel will be off-limits to the public as well.

This topic came up opn NFLUK and I responded that finding out where the Patriots are staying is one thing, getting to see them training during their stay in London will be another story. It's not Training Camp where the public is invited to attend. The NFL will be very security minded over in the UK. As a STH for the Patriots, I couldn't even find out when they were leaving for or returning from an away game "for security reasons". Good luck to you ar anyone else, who is not otherwise personally invited by someone in the Kraft Organization, to get a chance to watch any practices. The Hotel will be off-limits to the public as well.

You mods already had thoughts about this idea, and getting a few UKPats to a training session. We we're very suprised to hear in one email fthat they aren't arriving in London until Thursday evening. So very little "practice" over here, and no public access.

My wife and I want to see Jersey Boys at the Prince Edward Theatre while in London. There are Pre-Theatre Packages as well as Post-Theatre Packages available for the dates we want. Does anyone have any comments about the following restaurants: 1) Bortelli's Frith Street or 2) Spaghetti House Leicester Square.

As a 2nd show, we might want to see Breakfast at TIffany's at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. There is availablilty for the dates we want, but no dinner packages.

Any Theatre go-ers out there want to join us. I'm not paying for your tickets or dinner :P , mine are expensive enough :o .

Does anyone have any comments about the following restaurants: 1) Bortelli's Frith Street or 2) Spaghetti House Leicester Square.

Both decent, inexpensive, old fashioned Italian diners. You're not going to be blown away by fine cuisine, but you'll get respectable enough versions of Italian standards. And both very much geared into the quickly served up pre theatre dinner crowd. At a push I'd go for Spaghetti House. It was the chain that put mass marketed Italian food onto London tables in the 1950's, and although the menu has probably changed very little since then, they do what they do well. It was the sort of place I went to when my parents came down to see me when I was in college; I knew I'd get a decent meal and they wouldn't be too shocked by "London prices".

My wife and I want to see Jersey Boys at the Prince Edward Theatre while in London. There are Pre-Theatre Packages as well as Post-Theatre Packages available for the dates we want. Does anyone have any comments about the following restaurants: 1) Bortelli's Frith Street or 2) Spaghetti House Leicester Square.

As a 2nd show, we might want to see Breakfast at TIffany's at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. There is availablilty for the dates we want, but no dinner packages.

Any Theatre go-ers out there want to join us. I'm not paying for your tickets or dinner :P , mine are expensive enough :o .

The Wife & I have added the Monday night to our weekend stay at Wembley and were hoping to take in a show that evening (ironically, The Jersey Boys).

What night were you planning on going Howard?

The Wife & I have added the Monday night to our weekend stay at Wembley and were hoping to take in a show that evening (ironically, The Jersey Boys).

What night were you planning on going Howard?

Check for a PM from me.

Nah havent got the holidays to take Friday too so will be flying down from Edinburgh on Saturday morning to Heathrow then battling across London to The Green Man at Wembley. Hopefully i'll be around in time for whatever is/may be planned.

Flying back Monday lunchtime with excess baggage in my head no doubt :)

Thats some deal you got, think mine was about twice that!

You'll be BA though, being quite the student bum I'm happy to head down on Queasyjet.

Get into Central London about 5pm hopefully, few jars then out to Ringsell's area for more beer and then into town on Saturday for UKPatriots carnage.

I second what Waspie said. The Market Porter and Borough are just on the other side of the river from the City, so easy enough to get to. The Market Porter is a proper real ale pub and Borough Market is far too good- loads of cold meats, deli stuff etc etc.

I've never been to the Basque country but I imagine, they'd at least partially respect the fact that I can speak Spanish.

I'm not sure about that. In the Flemish speaking parts of Belgium I found that they would rather you speak English than French.

More inquiries.

There are many fine restaurants in London. While my wife and I are sightseeing, any recommendations for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We are not looking for the most or least expensive but the best we can get for the cost, including ambiance and menu. The menu doesn't have to be strictly American in nature but 'exotic' British fare is not what we are looking for. Allowing for Bodean's on Friday night and an maybe event on Saturday night, I figure we will probably have 5 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 3 dinners to concern ourselves with. Any takers to meet up with us during our stay would also be appreciated.

I could go thru the restaurant section in the "Visit London" website, but a list to start with would be welcomed.

We also want to see Abbey Road Studios (3 Abbey Road St. John's Wood London UK NW8 9AY) . How far is it from our hotel's location in Piccadilly?

More inquiries.

There are many fine restaurants in London. While my wife and I are sightseeing, any recommendations for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We are not looking for the most or least expensive but the best we can get for the cost, including ambiance and menu. The menu doesn't have to be strictly American in nature but 'exotic' British fare is not what we are looking for. Allowing for Bodean's on Friday night and an maybe event on Saturday night, I figure we will probably have 5 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 3 dinners to concern ourselves with. Any takers to meet up with us during our stay would also be appreciated.

I could go thru the restaurant section in the "Visit London" website, but a list to start with would be welcomed.

We also want to see Abbey Road Studios (3 Abbey Road St. John's Wood London UK NW8 9AY) . How far is it from our hotel's location in Piccadilly?

I'll see what's available as we're off up to "the smoke" within the next few hours for a weekend away (Theatre and bit of sightseeing)

Using this as a bit of a dummy run for October (ie, staying at the same hotel and getting around on the tube etc)

Guest dave45
More inquiries.

Howard,

From Piccadilly Circus underground station take the Bakerloo line train to Maida Vale station (about 14 minutes) and then about 15 minutes walking.

You can use the TfL journey planner for planning most journeys in London:

Journey planner

Correction

Piccadilly Circus Bakerloo line to Baker Street & then Jubilee line to St John's Wood (journey time approx 10 minutes)

More inquiries.

Abbey Road is near Maida Vale station; about 15 minutes from Piccadilly Circus tube. But be aware that there are no studio tours. It's just a case of getting a photo by the zebra crossing. You have to remember that the Beatles weren't a London band.

But you might want to look at a tour of London Beatles sites - http://www.beatlesinlondon.com/

Guest dave45
Abbey Road is near Maida Vale station; about 15 minutes from Piccadilly Circus tube. But be aware that there are no studio tours. It's just a case of getting a photo by the zebra crossing. You have to remember that the Beatles weren't a London band.

But you might want to look at a tour of London Beatles sites - http://www.beatlesinlondon.com/

London Walks also do Beatles walks:

Clicky

For anybody who has booked at the Ibis Wembley, stayed there this weekend for 2 nights.

Room was spotlessly clean, comfy bed (no back ache in the morning, which is rare for me and my dodgy back)

Air-con in room, friendly staff, parking at £5 per day 2 minutes walk from hotel.

Didn't try the £5.50 continental breakfast, but there is Cafe 2000, 75 yards away who do a good full English.

Right next to the Stadium and Wembley Stadium Station. 10 Mins walk to either Wembley Central or Wembley Park Tube stations.

Allow 25-30 minutes to get into Piccadilly area on the tube. 5 minutes walk to the Green Man to link up with UK Patriots (Yorkshire Branch)

I've finally got round to booking a hotel we are staying at Crowne Plaza in Ealing, I think its about 3 miles away from the stadium.

We are going to see Wolves v Villa on the Sat, lunch time kick off so we will be travelling down in the afternoon, are any plans in place for meet ups or t shirts?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere